Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sinem1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 03:44 AM
    What do I feed my 7 week old kitten?
    Hiya, I just took a kitten from my friend and I have no idea what the best way to feed the kitten is?

I get all sorts of ideas from people and I just want to feed him the right way as I do not want to overfeed or underfeed him.

Also the maintenance of a kitten? I think I bought the basics but I need to know what other things I need to look out for? Like worming, fleas and how often I should get her checked at the vets??

Please let me know. Many Thanks
    zappy Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 05:49 AM
    Im sure wet food will do reqally good, or even if you get dry food and let it sit in water and moisten up, my cats and dogs always loved that...
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Dec 31, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Hello sinem1234,

Congratulations on your new arrival.

The first bit of advice I must give is to take your new kitten to your vet and get him/her checked over to make sure all is well. Added to this your kitten is at an age when vaccinations need to be started.

A vet will also be able to give you advice about what foods are best for the kitten and when worming etc should be started.

Another consideration is neutering/spaying of your new pet. This can been done from 5 months. Again your vet is the best to advise you on this. However there has been a study which suggests that cats spayed/neutered before 12 months were longer, taller and more affectionate than those after 12 months old.

Regarding feeding of your kitten, again a vets advice is important. Although your kitten is 7 weeks old, are you sure it is fully weaned from it mothers milk and is happy to eat solids without it's mother milk supplement. If so dry or canned food specially formulated for kittens should be given.

Don't give your kitten cows milk as it can make it ill. You can get mothers milk replacers from reputable stores or of course from your vet.

Although a visit to the vet costs money, in the long run it is a worthwhile expense. Most of the questions you have can be answered on the first visit.

My advice is always to get what you need from the vet. For example you can buy worming tablets over the counter but I have always found those supplied by the vet are much safer and reliable.

The same applies to de-fleeing etc. I have found that over the counter remedies are far less effective than the ones the vet supplies. Also the vet can recommend a safe de-fleaing agent to use.

Below are a few websites I am sure you will find very helpful.

Vaccines & Vaccination Schedule for Cats & Kittens

Worming your cat

Early Spaying & Neutering of Kittens

How to Care for Your Kitten

Good luck and may your kitten have a long, happy and healthy life.

May I wish you both the happiest and healthiest 2007.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2007, 07:32 PM
    You can use wet food or sit the kibbles in water until there mosit its really easy for them to chew and not as hard on the teeth as the hard kibbles
    sloopy22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sinem1234
    Hiya, I just took a kitten from my friend and I have no idea what the best way to feed the kitten is?

I get all sorts of ideas from people and I just want to feed him the right way as i do not want to overfeed or underfeed him.

also the maintenance of a kitten? I think i bought the basics but I need to know what other things i need to look out for? like worming, fleas and how often i should get her checked at the vets???

Please let me know. Many Thanks
    Make sure you get kitten chow specifically or get an "all stages" food like Innova. You can get the cat altered around 4 months at the youngest. First vaccines (FVRCP) should happen at 9 weeks and then again 2 weeks later, Rabies at 4 months. Use revolution or Advantage for fleas and get some drontal from your vet for worms, do it once and then again 2 weeks later. I think free feeding is best, even as an adult unless the cat gets obese.

Have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 week old kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have recently received a 5 week old kitten and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how much milk I should be giving her. She is eating solid food but she prefers the milk. She is really small because her mother stopped feeding her so she has lost quite allot of weight. I would really...

My 3 week old kitten has fleas help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hiya my kittens have just caught fleas off a homeless cat I took in and because there so young I don't know what to do I hate fleas there horrible I've just done all my older cats with bobmartin back of the neck stuff but powders and things say not to be used until 12 weeks etc what can I use?...

Sick kitten 1 week old [ 3 Answers ]

I have a litter of kittens that are 1 week old. The mothers first kitten, born is half the size , eyes not opening and is the only one not nursing. It has no strength and just lays on her side crying. We have been feeding this kitten and it is reluctantly get some formula.. I now believe this...

6 week old kitten with fleas [ 11 Answers ]

Our new kitten came home with fleas! The vet applied a topical to him, and we were told to vacuum and wash everything he came into contact with. He has been at our house only 36 hours and was in one room- we have done all that the vet told us to do-- will this solve the problem, do you know? ...

Kitten trying to feed still. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my cat had kittens on 18th June, 3 have left and I've kept one, she is fully weaned,eating nicely,mother has been spayed and is all dried up of milk, yet I have noticed the kittens still trying to suckle and the mother is letting her even though there is nothing coming out, is this normal, was...

View more questions Search