Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TruthSayer0122 Posts: 109, Reputation: 18

Jul 13, 2010, 09:47 PM
    How do you know to give someone a second chance?
    I think it's OK to give people a second chance as long as you protect yourself from the consequences of their actions. But sometimes you may still get hurt. I had a tough no bs policy and I cut people from life quite easliy. But now I'm wondering if I'm too harsh because I'm far from perfect.
    peacemaker129 Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Jul 13, 2010, 09:52 PM

No I think your just right. Giving second chances is OK once in a while but if the person that actually needs a second chance doesn't get one you may waste it on the wronge person... if they need a second chance from doing something bad such as- they left you abandoned at a party while they went and got drunk- that no. no second chance but if -you break up with your boyfriend just because he couldn't go out one night- definitely a second chance. Its kind of about judging well. Good luck!
    Ps. Sorry for spelling erros I suck at spelling!
    positiveparent Posts: 1,136, Reputation: 291
    -

Jul 13, 2010, 10:33 PM

I think in many situations people do deserve a 2nd chance, and I also say once is a mistake twice is blatant. I would give most people a 2nd chance, however in one area that being cheating, I really don't know what I would do or if I could give anyone a 2nd chance if that were to happen.

I think it would be hard for anyone to do this, although it can be done and has been.

I would say to you go with the inner voice, that usually sends us in right direction. Plus its really only you who can choose if you are willing to do this.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2010, 03:21 AM
    Read this site: Setting Personal Boundaries - protecting self and see how you can set healthy boundaries.

Not only does this enable you to see how allowing a 'second' or more chances can be allowed,OK in the grand scheme of things,and down right good for your learning coping skills/personal growth.

I had a friend who would not communicate well, as some will do from time to time.He crossed a boundary I had set with him, he knew this,he did it anyway(perhaps a test,perhaps because he didn't care,perhaps for some reason I still can't fathom)

Anyway,I let him know that,once again,this was unacceptable to me,if he choses to take the no communication route,(meaning,blow me off because he decided to not be responsible and call to cancel a meeting or be there when expected,etc.)I would not be around for this to occur.I have better things to do with my life than have expectations and meetings blown off for their whims and lack of responsibility.

In time,he reached out to find me apprehensive but willing,as long as he followed my boundary.

It isn't manipulation.

It isn't control,not in the sense most would think of it.

It is a clear line of ,"I'm not going to be treated like this because...,it makes me feel...,and this is the result you can expect if it continues..."

Much better description on the site quoted above.

Allowing someone a second or third or fourth, or a lifetime of chances.. isn't being a patsy,isn't being week,isn't being played,as long as we set a line of what we will accept as to their behaviors, let them know the outcome if things continue,and FOLLOW THROUGH with our boundary and set line,, things will progress without us being guilty and questioning ourselves(much like what this post is about)

I hope this helps:)

KBC
    TruthSayer0122 Posts: 109, Reputation: 18

Jul 14, 2010, 05:40 PM
    I made a really cool friend. But then she started caneling meetings at the last moment. And she only wants to go to her hang out places. So I stop calling her. She texted me and lets do lunch this week. I knew she was not going to call and she didn't. So a month later she texts me, "Hey, I just got back from London and I have to tell you all about it. Let's do lunch" I responded cool but I'm going on vaction soon... No response back from her. I just want to be open to deal with people with being jerked around. I stopped calling her in May. Why make plans with someone just to canel or not follow through.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2010, 01:10 PM

Hi Truthsayer,

True friends never let you down, they contact you if there's a problem.

Don't hang about waiting for something that might happen.

Empty words are meaningless,friends who really enjoy your company will make that call, will reply when you call and will turn up if they promise too.

Don't say.. YES.. when you really mean.. NO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I give him another chance? [ 12 Answers ]

I met my partner 8 years ago he had a 2 year old daughter he was sole parent for. I took on responsibility of his daughter and have been her mother for 8 of her now 10 years. We have had a generally good relationship... money issues, ups and downs but have generally been OK. Her birth Mother...

Should I give my ex another chance? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm 17 and I started going out with this guy when I was 15 (( off and on )). Well we'd always break up over silly things because at the time we were young and had no clue what we were doing. The 4th time we broke up it was because I "thought" we were growing apart and I wanted something new because...

Should I give him a chance? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so there's this guy that I like. He made the first move and told me that he really liked me and kissed me. His best friend also told me that he like me a lot, which is apparently unusual because he has a history of being kind of a player and not really liking the girls he's been with. The...

Should I give him a chance? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 17 &+ a Junior in hiqhschool and I met this dude in my class and he has been wanting to go out with me but I wanted to be with someone else... well he gave me his number and the last time we seen each other, he told me he got feelings for me! Well I don't know what to do, should I give him a...

Do I give him another chance? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that this ultimately is question that I will have to answer for myself, but I thought I'd ask, because maybe some of you have been there. I have been married for seven years to my husband, who was my first relationship, first everything. I'm 27... we married young. We have no children...

View more questions Search