Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firewall Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 04:25 AM
    Firewall
    Thinking of buying townehome next door and opening up wall between us to make liv/din area. I was told it's a firewall between attached homes... can it be opened up to make an arched doorway between rooms. Is a firewall concrete?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 07:36 PM

Most firewalls in condos are double layers of drywall, so its likely possible. However, check with your HOA, if you have one, and the city Building and Zoning to see if they will allow it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firewall View Post
    thinking of buying townehome next door and opening up wall between us to make liv/din area. I was told it's a firewall between attached homes...can it be opened up to make an arched doorway between rooms. Is a firewall concrete?
    In my area a firewall's constructed out of cement block and runs from the slab past the roof line. While it's passable to convert two condos into one it must be approved by the Building Department first.
    Good luck, Tom
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Jul 12, 2010, 03:34 AM
    Unlike duplexes, townhouses are considered separate buildings on separate lots by law and cannot normally be combined as the original poster wishes.

And where they might be permitted to be combined, cannot be so done without going through a very expensive legal process that involves the local Planning Commission and Zoning Board to create a major subdivision improvement, redrawing of the maps and deeds for the 2 buildings and the development involved, and a host of major Code required changes that will require remodeling changes to combine 2 separate sewer, water, and electric systems into 1.

If allowed, it could cost tens of thousands of dollars to combine these separate buildings, and therefore be cost prohibitive to most.

Sorry.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 12, 2010, 06:09 AM

Manhattan,
    Unlike duplexes, townhouses are considered separate buildings on separate lots by law and cannot normally be combined as the original poster wishes. If allowed, it could cost tens of thousands of dollars to combine these separate buildings, and therefore be cost prohibitive to most.
    Perhaps it's that difficult to join two units to make one large in your area but here in Florida we do it all the time. Especially out on the keys where large cooperations will purchase two beach side units and cut in a door way. Back in the 70's and 80's we were busy combining Gulf side motel units into time share apartments.
    Different areas have different codes and rules. You simply can not take one set of codes and then make a blanket statement to cover everybody such as you just did. Regards, Tom
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Jul 13, 2010, 03:29 AM

The same Codes apply in my state as in Florida. And pretty much every other state in the US:

Townhouses are separate buildings on separate lots with separate deeds... and firewalls are required by Code between separate townhouse units. Period.

Townhouse developments are also created under their own subdivision and planning rules and units cannot be combined willy-nilly.

No more can one buy a townhouse unit next door and just connect them, than can one who lives in a single family house buy the single family house next door and connect them with a breezway.

It would first take a major improvement subdivision permit from zoning and planning to combine the two deeded properties into 1 deeded property before building permits could be issued to perform the structural work to remove the firewall.

Deeds would need to be redone, subdivision maps redrawn, hearings paid for with the local authorities, lawyers hired...

And all that adds up to a large amount of time and money... with no guarantee the original poster's request for consolodation will be granted.

By all means does the orignal poster need to speak to his local building and zoning authorities, but he should be fore-armed with the knowledge that what he proposes is a building code violation and not allowed as he now envisions it, and to rectify the situation will cost him 1000s and 1000s of dollars to first combine the 2 separtely deeded townhouse parcels into 1 before a building permit can be issued to remove the firewall... and only if his municipality will allow it.

Sorry.
    435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Jul 13, 2010, 12:28 PM

This may depend on the precedent in this particular community. Firewall, have other townehomes in this in this community been combined? I would check with the homeowner's association and closely read the covenants/restrictions and see if what you propose is strictly forbidden. I believe that manhattan may be correct. If you are the first to try this it will likely be a legal and financial nightmare to pull it off, even if the construction project may be fairly straight forward...
    Robert Gift Posts: 100, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2010, 03:38 AM
    In my opinion, I would do as you wish and not tell anyone.
    If you sell, you may have to close the openings and do it right as it originally was.

Still, without giving yourself away and bringing attention to yourself, find out what complications there may be.
    Do it all legally if you can do so reasonably.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 22, 2010, 07:17 AM

In my opinion, I would do as you wish and not tell anyone.
    Not the best direction to take, We have building codes for a reason. Some for safety and some for health, but all are important and should not be ignored. Regards, tom
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 07:19 AM

I agree with Tom.

Check with the home owners association and building department to see if OK. If yes, proceed from there.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a new firewall [ 1 Answers ]

Question: What is a good firewall that I can use? More details... I need a new firewall. One that is compatible with XP and also will allow me to use the Apache web server. I want something that is proven to be effective and well cheap or free would be great. Also light and easy on the system...

Juniper firewall [ 1 Answers ]

Users behind Juniper firewall can access network for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then all applications "freeze" up, e-mail, telnet sessions, etc... To resolve this, the Juniper SSG5 needs to be re-booted. I am not a network admin or tech, just an IT person trying to help out a peer by asking this.

Best firewall [ 7 Answers ]

I just want your suggistion that which is the best firewall I can use. Thanks in advance

Firewall pop up [ 3 Answers ]

I got on my computer last night and I have this firewall pop up that will not go away that says the xp Deluxe Protector has detected that somebody is transferring my private data via internet. I can't get rid of it and when I click on whether I want to block the activity or block the attack...

Something desactivates my firewall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I got messages from Av and anti spy sites informing me that I should download regestry cleaner and Av.. ALL the time. Each time I lock my firewall I no more receive those damned messages.But few seconds later my firewall is opened automatically and here we go again. WHY? ...

View more questions Search