Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boblaforge Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Fan and light in Hunter ceiling fan stopped working
    I have a Hunter ceiling fan with four lights. Then without anything unusual happening the fan and lights simultaneously stopped working. I operate the unit using a wall switch. When I turn the switch to "on" I can hear the unit beep so I know that power is going to it, but when I press the fan or light switches nothing happens. I took a look and all of the connections in the wire nuts seem to be OK both in the wall switch and in the ceiling fan. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 03:48 PM

Is it a remote fan, or only a wall switch? What model?

Was there a storm or power outage?

Dec 15, 2009, 08:13 PM

It is operated by a wall switch; however, there are still pull chains on the unit for, I would assume, manual operation.

It says that it is Hunter type B Model 23280 and catalog number 23280-001-00.

Some kids knocked down the telephone pole in front of our house and we didn't have electricity for 18 hours, but the ceiling fan worked after that. It seems to have broke a few days later. I am not aware of any power surge or outage around that time.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2009, 10:19 PM

It was probably a delayed reaction.

If it has pullchains, you can remove the receiver and wire the fan without it and operate it solely from the wall switch(es).

Dec 18, 2009, 09:36 AM

Sorry but I don't understand. I'm not sure what you mean by removing the receiver. I can only operate it by the wall switch and pull chains. I don't have a remote. Do you know what is actually broke? Maybe I can just replace that. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 11:51 AM

Open the fan at the ceiling, there should be a black box. Remove it and wire the fan without it as per:

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Remove the wall switch and attach a normal wall switch.

The fan should then operate from the pullchains.

OR contact Hunter Fan Ceiling Fans, Air Purifiers, Humidifiers, Thermostats for replacement parts.

Jul 12, 2010, 07:08 PM
    The previous answer is correct except that the part to remove is white. It is the receiver (what receives the wireless signal from the wall switch) and that is what failed. I removed it and wired it straight through and now it works fine except that I must operate the light and fan using the chains. I still use the wall switch to turn it on and off. It will come on in the same state as when it was turned off. So if the light was on when I last turned it off then when I turn the wall switch on then the lights will turn on also. It is not as nice as operating everything from the wall switch but it saves money on buying a new fan.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2010, 01:11 PM

Yes, sometimes it is white.

You can purchase a new receiver if you like, should be less than the cost of a new fan, but it may fail again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the...

Hampton bay light fan remote problem [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Hampton By fan/light unit that in only operated by a remote. Worked fine for years since we moved in until the other day - light control stopped working - in the on position. Fan control works fine and red LED lights when either fan or light buttons are pushed. Changed the battery but...

Ceiling fan remote troubleshooting [ 14 Answers ]

Casablanca Ceiling fan with light kit and remote. Versa Touch remote turns fan off and on, but the light won't turn off. There is no wall switch.

Ceiling fan/light stopped working [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light dimmer with a remote control. The other day it just stopped working. It doesn't work with the remote control, wall switch or the pull chains. I changed the batteries in the remote and I know there is power to the fan. Any idea how to fix this?

Heritage ceiling fan light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

I took down the fan to fix a wobble (was coming loose from ceiling) and now the light dies not work. The fan blades run but the light does not work. I replaced the pull chain switch and have checked the wire connections twice put still no light. Any other ideas would be appreciated as I cannot...

View more questions Search