Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smileshaikh Posts: 67, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
    Can I get in trouble about this crash?
    I crashed with a guy in a parking lot. I was backing out and the guy was driving behind me, and while reversing I hit the guy's front bumper. The guy said he was late for his final but exchanged numbers with my me and said to call him... so no police was called. Also the guy got my license plate number... its been three months since the incident, and the info the guy has is my cellphone number, my name, and my license plate perhaps... now he's been threatening me that he's going to report it to the police what happened or get authorities involved if I doesn't pay 150$ This is in the state of Texas... I want to know, can anything really be done at this point? I've been avoiding him cause at first I told him it was my fault cause I was backing out and I was scared but he came from behind and zoomed passed while I was backing out and trying to leave the parking lot... it was a very small bump that made to his front bumber really... its a little bent and crooked but not much. Anyway its already been about three months since and he keeps texting me that he's going to call the police and get them involved with me unless I pay his money. But I really feel he's at fault now cause of how it happened. I told him it was my fault cause I was really scared and it was my first time ever it happened and I didn't want to get in trouble but I learned my lesson... can anything really be done by that guy since its been so long, about 3 months or so.. what exactly might happen now... and what should I do?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 11:31 PM

Do you have auto insurance? If so, report this to them. Don't pay the other driver any money because, once you start, it may never stop, and he could keep asking you for more.

Jul 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you have auto insurance? if so, report this to them. Don't pay the other driver any money because, once you start, it may never stop, and he could keep asking you for more.
    I have insurance but I don't even know how to do all of that and I'm just wondering if I keep avoiding him can he get me in trouble or get the cops to find me with the information he has. If he can then I'll just find a way to report it, maybe it was my fault by backing out I'm not sure but I backed out and he zoomed across and hit me so that's why I feel it wasn't my fault.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smileshaikh View Post
    i have insurance but i dont even know how to do all of that and im just wondering if i keep avoiding him can he get me in trouble or get the cops to find me with the information he has. if he can then i'll just find a way to report it, maybe it was my fault by backing out im not sure but i backed out and he zoomed across and hit me so thats why i feel it wasnt my fault.
    You were clearly at fault (he was in the traffic lane and you interfered with his moving forward). If has all the information you said he does, he can make trouble for you. Can you get an adult, such as your father or mother or an uncle, involved in this, to talk you through it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 11:51 PM

If all he's asking for is $150, you could type up a short contract that you are handing over $150 and he will drop all claims against you (there are examples on the Internet). Then both of you sign it. Have it notarized. You keep the original, and he gets a copy and $150. An adult should help you with this and accompany you to the meeting with this guy.

This will keep the insurance companies out of it, so your rates won't go up.
    banditftw4q2 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 11:53 PM
    I don't know about Texas, but in the rest of the world if you have an accident while in reverse you are automatically at fault(unless you were both in reverse).You should report this to your insurance co.ASAP and file an accident report just to cover your before he tries to screw you unless you want to pay out of your pocket for the damage to his car.It might be cheaper to pay if you don't want this on your record,your ins.rates might go up, points against your licence,etc. If you do pay for his damages have someone with you (a witness) and make sure you have him sign a paper stating that he has been PAID IN FULL for any damage to his car caused by you This will stop him from "double dipping"(collecting from you,then trying to collect from your ins.co also) Cover your! Good Luck,"Bandit"

Jul 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
    If all he's asking for is $150, you could type up a short contract that you are handing over $150 and he will drop all claims against you (there are examples on the Internet). Then both of you sign it. You keep the original, and he gets a copy and $150. An adult should help you with this and accompany you to the meeting with this guy.
    Where can I find one of these contracts? Ima give him the money since you said its my fault cause I'm not an unfair person but if it wasn't my fault I wouldn't give. Where do I find one and do I just tell him to sign my copy then his, and I sign it too? Please find me one. I told him I get paid 15th and 30th of every month but I barely started so he might have to wait till then.

Jul 10, 2010, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by banditftw4q2 View Post
    I don't know about Texas, but in the rest of the world if you have an accident while in reverse you are automatically at fault(unless you were both in reverse).You should report this to your insurance co.ASAP and file an accident report just to cover your before he tries to screw you unless you want to pay out of your pocket for the damage to his car.It might be cheaper to pay if you don't want this on your record,your ins.rates might go up, points against your licence,etc. If you do pay for his damages have someone with you (a witness) and make sure you have him sign a paper stating that he has been PAID IN FULL for any damage to his car caused by you This will stop him from "double dipping"(collecting from you,then trying to collect from your ins.co also) Cover your !! Good Luck,"Bandit"
    Thanks bandit I will do the contract where can I find a sample one online to print it out and we both sign.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2010, 11:59 PM

Is there an adult who can help you with this? You sound too shaky to do this on your own.

Jul 11, 2010, 12:03 AM
    Is there an adult who can help you with this? You sound too shaky to do this on your own.
    I really don't know anybody to help me to do this... n I'm scared to tell family... im really not going to so ima pay but I want to find out how to do the contract on my own and so if police say I didn't pay ill tell them here we both signed.

Jul 11, 2010, 12:05 AM

I told him ill bring a contract and he told me contract for what... iono if I should trust him.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 12:11 AM

RECEIPT

Be it known that the undersigned, Mr. XYZ, acknowledges receipt of the sum of One Hundred Fifty Dollars and no cents ($150.00), paid by (Your Name), for the vehicle damage that occurred in ABC parking lot on mm/dd/yy.

This payment constitutes full payment for damage to Mr. XYZ's (year/make/model of vehicle).

Signed this 00th day of July, 2010.

_____________________________ His Name

_____________________________ Your Name

_____________________________ Witness Name

***Notary seal***
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 12:15 AM
    i told him ill bring a contract and he told me contract for what...iono if i should trust him.
    Meet him at a bank -- or at a currency exchange if the person there is a notary. BE SURE to have it notarized. This makes it a legal document. Anyone can be a witness.

Jul 11, 2010, 12:22 AM
    Meet him at a bank -- or at a currency exchange if the person there is a notary. BE SURE to have it notarized. This makes it a legal document. Anyone can be a witness.
    I'm not sure the date it happened and I do not know his last name. I just know his first name is john... I can get it notarized and all of that... but I can print it right?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
    im not sure the date it happened and i do not know his last name. i just know his first name is john...i can get it notarized and all of that...but i can print it right?
    You MUST get his last name and put that on the form. You MUST add the date to the form. You MUST put in the contract the info about his car. You MUST have a notary sign and stamp it. If you don't do all these things, he can do all sorts of stuff to you in the future. He can say you owe him more money, among other things.
    banditftw4q2 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
    Comment on smileshaikh's post
    Sorry, something got lost.HERE IT IS again!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 12:29 AM

Most parking lots are considered No Fault, but I'm going to ask our resident expert on the matter to look into this.

Dude, all you do is call your insurance carrier and tell them what you told us. You turn over the other guys name and phone number to them. When this other guy calls you, tell him that he is going to have to deal with your insurance company from now on and hang up.

Jul 11, 2010, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Most parking lots are considered No Fault, but I'm going to ask our resident expert on the matter to look into this.

Dude, all you do is call your insurance carrier and tell them what you told us. You turn over the other guys name and phone number to them. When this other guy calls you, tell him that he is going to have to deal with your insurance company from now on and hang up.
    Yes please ask for me... oh and hey is it too late to tell my insurance about it if I already told him by text id pay him in cash? Can he do anything aobut that? If he can then ill just pay by cash but if I can do the insurance thing I'd rather do that. I asked him in text for his name and for the date it happened if he remembered cause I can't remember anything except that his name is john and I do not have his license plate neither or no other information other than john and his phone number... so if I tell my insurance I feel its better than paying cash but I hope that since I told him id pay cash now it won't get me in trouble... it was college parking lot so if its no fault then id rather not pay... im going to get the thing notarized in case nothing works out fine... but if I can tell my insurance ill just do that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 11, 2010, 12:40 AM

The easiest thing to do is call your insurance agent on Monday. Report the accident to him/her. Give up what info you have. Let them deal with it. Like J_9 says, you might get off scot-free with a no-fault situation.

Jul 11, 2010, 12:41 AM
    You MUST get his last name and put that on the form. You MUST add the date to the form. You MUST put in the contract the info about his car. You MUST have a notary sign and stamp it. If you don't do all these things, he can do all sorts of stuff to you in the future. He can say you owe him more money, among other things.
    OK thank you mrs I asked him for his name and the date it happened I hope he remembers cause all I know about him is his name is john and I have his cellphone number... but if its not too late can I just tell insurance what happen and tell them his name is john and give them his cell number... even though I already told him via text I'd pay him in cash?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Crash [ 7 Answers ]

Hey y'al can I crash this party? If so, do you have any "equal" sweetened" kool-aid. Doc said need cut back on the real stuff.

Recovery from crash [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I'm pretty sure that my hard drive totally crashed but I would like to know if there is any way I can get the files I have on it?

Computer crash [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm facing this problem that my computer is shutting down sometimes and dispaying a message mentioning "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" and something like: " settingsmodifier:win32/possiblehostsfile hijack". I have no idea what I shall do. Please any help?!

Crash [ 10 Answers ]

problem of my computer is it just stops in the middle of when I am doing something and the blue screen comes up with the notice and this is not the first time it happens frequently , the message is like this :Help me please A problem as been detected and window has been shut down to prevent...

View more questions Search