Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chihuahua Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 09:54 AM
    How to get my chihuahua to gain weight?
    I have a very small female chihuahua who's ideal weight is 4-6 lbs. She is 2 years old and weighs maybe 2 lbs. I feed her dry food and can food with lamb and rice. Her back bone and hip bones are starting to show. I am very concerned as I have 2 other chihuahuas that are just fine. I need some ideas on how to help my little princess.
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
    If you've exhausted all you know of and she is getting so skinny... if she was mine I WOULD TAKE HER TO THE VET. :)
    eparker77 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Nov 20, 2008, 01:31 PM

Does your dog have a dry dandruffy coat? Often times when dogs eat sufficiently and don't gain the weight we think they should they have an enzyme defficiancy. Take your dog to a vet and get blood drawn to make sure. It could be something like EXOCRINE PANCREATIC INSUFFICIENCY (ALSO CALLED “MALDIGESTION”)

Digestive enzymes include amylase to digest starches, lipases to digest fats, and trypsin and proteases to digest protein. They are stored in inactive forms inside special granules in the exocrine pancreatic tissue (the “acinar cells”) and are secreted into the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine after the stomach) when ground up food begins its passage out of the stomach. Once nutrients are broken down into smaller molecules (i.e. they are digested), they can be absorbed down the entire length of the GI tract. Without adequate productive of these enzymes, we cannot break down/digest our food. If we cannot digest the food, we cannot absorb the food. We get skinny, have especially nasty rather greasy diarrhea, or both. Often, a dog will develop a dry, dandruffy coat from inability to absorb dietary fats.

Nov 20, 2008, 07:20 PM

I am SSOOO worried! I have taken her the vet!! I work with a vet!! We have drawn blood, done skin scrappings and sent stools to the lab all comes back clean! I just wanted to know if anyone might have a good home remedy or suggestion that I ( or my vet) may have overlooked??

Nov 21, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Is she getting weak and sickly? I would give her some extra treats ( cheese, butter bread, hamburger and rice ) maybe these things , if she'll eat them will help her gain weight.
    I hope and pray she'll be OK .

Nov 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
    I have not given her extra treats, because I feed her 4 times a day now, but at this point I am willing to do anything! I will try some cheese,butter bread and she loves carrots. She still has energy and is not sickly but I am afraid she will get that way if I don't get this figured out!:confused:

Nov 21, 2008, 01:40 PM

Why not feed her more more often than 4x a day. OR feed her between meals.
    I really hope this helps you and the doggie.
    Please keep me posted .:-)
    jungjaco Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Jul 8, 2010, 09:28 AM
    My chihuaha is the same way! Some one told me to give it some chewing tobacco, like a reg pinch that some one would chew. Don't use too much because my friend gave his dog a whole can and killed his little dog, and I gave mine a tiny bit and it didn't do anything.so just a reg. amount you would take if you chewed
    laylaa027 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
    Uhhh, OK I wouldn't give it tobacco... Can't see the benefits of havng a dog "chew" tobacco will do besides kill it! My chihuahua is 3 and weighs a little under 3lbs and sems to have a little trouble gaining weight too, Im feeding him all the fruits he's allowed to have and lotts of treats and he seems to maintain his weight more or less... Not to mention I neutered him 2 yrs ago so yeah... Neutering them doesn't help them gain any more weight. Feeding them fatty foods is the only way;)
    YankeeBelleChi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
    I bought a 4 year old chihuahua to get her out of a bad home. She was skinny. Her hair was brittle. She would not eat much. I had her vet checked and blood work. Nothing was found, but I suspected tapeworms, so I got Drontal Plus from my vet and sure enough, her next poop looked like mostly rice... it was tapeworm eggs. She started eating better and her coat became shiny and she is now looking great. It took over 2 months after the pill.
    purpleluv4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2013, 08:26 AM
    Hello I'm worried about my chihuahua she is a 1 yr old skinnie winnie I call her what to do she don't gain no wieght I feed her everything to make her gain no results I gve her good treats no results she so very active she has no worms and no fleas she has medicine help please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight gain [ 2 Answers ]

When I

I want to gain weight [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is maria lily, and I'm trying to gain weight! I'm trying to gain 5 to 10 pounds in at least a week. Is that possible? Or at least see a difference in my weight in a week?

How to gain weight? [ 8 Answers ]

I am 28yrs old,married, 5feet 11inch, weight54kg I am very slim. I want to gain my weight without any side effects Advise

How to gain weight [ 3 Answers ]

Usually people ask for advice on weightloss but I need advice on weightgain. I don't think I look anorexic but some people say I'm too skinny. I used to weigh more but ever since I got my braces all the weight has gone:( I just want to get some back. People say I looked way better before. I lost my...

My Chihuahua is not gaining weight [ 2 Answers ]

I have a six mon. old chihuahua that is gaining weight very slowly. She weigh in at 15oz. Her legs is long and her vet says there is non-thing wrong with her she a healthy little pup. Can any tell me is this normal.

View more questions Search