Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bauer09 Posts: 94, Reputation: 4

Jul 7, 2010, 11:06 AM
    60 or 100 amp service
    Quick question -- might be too general...

Does 60-amp service always have the old, circular style meter outside?

I had a home inspected... the listing says it has 100amp service, the box on the outside is clearly rectangular, but a home inspector looked at the circuit breakers and wrote it as 60amp. I didn't question him at the time (not knowing the other information), and can't get back inside to verify.

Any thoughts?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 01:33 PM

Services would be sized according to the Main circuit breaker or fuse amp rating, of which there usually is one Main.

There are rare exceptions, I doubt these apply here.

The shape of anything does not matter.
    bauer09 Posts: 94, Reputation: 4

Jul 7, 2010, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Next question then... is it possible that the service was upgraded outside (meter and cable) but not upgraded at the box?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 7, 2010, 07:00 PM

Possible but very unlikely.

To go from a 60A service to a 100A service would involve changing the service conductors and the panel box.

When you get a chance, open the door on your service panel and check the main breaker at the top of the panelboard. That will tell you the amperage you are receiving.

You can also call your power company and ask them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable size for 100 amp and 200 amp service. [ 16 Answers ]

I would like to know what size aluminum sec I would need for 100 or 200 amp service

How much does it cost to change 100 amp service to 200 amp service? [ 5 Answers ]

I am buying a house with 100amp service and the home inspecter said I would need at least 150 amp panel to service the hot tub that comes with the home. However, the hot tub is hooked up to the 100amp service panel and the hot tub works fine. Am I really running into any issues here if I do...

What size wire for 220v 100 amp service at 100 feet [ 7 Answers ]

I am running 220v 100 ft to a 125 amp sub panel. A welder would be the heaviest thing used. (around 200 amp welder) what size copper wire would I need running in pvc underground

100 amp service split into two 100 amp sub panels? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I am in the early planning phase of a project to add a 100 amp sub panel to my detached garage. This new sub panel in the garage will be used to charge electric vehicles. The current and only sub panel is installed in the kitchen and is directly wired to the 100 amp service box breaker...

Service entrance cable (alum) size for a 100 amp service at 186 feet for a garage [ 1 Answers ]

The garage is 186' from the service at the house. I wanted to make sure the voltage drop would not cause a problem.

View more questions Search