Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgarcia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Lawn tractor engine won't start
    I've already swapped out the solenoid. No luck. Battery is good. I "think" I checked all the ground connections and safety switches. Problem is when the key is turned on the engine turns once... then slows to a stop... it may go over again.. but it won't go long or fast enough to start... RRRrrr... pause... RRRRrrr... pause... no start. Any thoughts? This problem occurred after the tractor was running and ran out of gas. I checked and the fuel line is clear... Spark pluggs cleaned, air filter good... I think if the engine turned long enough it would start... in fact it did start once... and ran great... but then it would not start again... :confused:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
    How do you know the battery is good?

Aug 21, 2006, 04:45 AM
    I checked it with a volt / ohm meter and it registered 12.5 V. It is a battery that is only 1 season old and I verified the acid levels in the cells were good. Also, when I attempt to jump start the tractor the symptoms are the same... so I figured the battery was not the issue.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Ok, does sound like its good then...
    Is it a over head valve engine perhaps? Or L head?

Aug 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
    I'm not sure what kind of engine it is... I'm a novice :) . But I can tell you it is 2 cylinder if that helps. I can dig up the part number next time I have a chance too.
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Usually the name brand will be stamped on the engine itself... like most briggs will have a sticker in the middle of the flywheel shroud, or right on the shroud. Sounds like a briggs... apposed twin?
    kbpc Posts: 2, Reputation: 4

Oct 24, 2006, 12:43 PM
    I think you have a "new-but-no-good" solenoid. But, it could be a starter problem or a wiring problem. Here are a few tests you can try.

WARNING!! THESE BY PASS ALL SAFETY FEATURES. BE SURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL AND THE BLADE IS OFF.

Starter test. - using your car battery, put jumper cable from (-) terminal on engine block. Touch jumper from (+) terminal to post on starter. Starter should run continiously while cable is on post. If not bad starter or starter ground. Bet on starter.

Solenoid test - this needs good battery. If in doubt connect car battery with jumper cables. Using a jumper cable - a third if boosting battery - connect terminals on solenoid. Starter should run continuously while terminals are jumped. If it does, solenoid is probably bad but run battery wire test to be sure. If it doesn't,'t check wire from solenoid to starter for dirt, breaks, anything that would interfere with operation.

Battery wire test. Connect (+) side of battery to bettery terminal of solenoid with jumper cable. Check to make sure all interlocks are in "start" position then try to start with key. If starter runs continuously, then cable or connections are bad from (+) terminal to solenoid.

This should diagnois the problem. Good luck, Ken
    ksauerwald Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
    So did you ffigure out your issue with that last response ? I have the same issue
    And am at my witts ends..
    wutafuta Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 07:47 AM
    You could have a bad starter. Or like the other guy said a new but messed up solenoid.

P.s. if you try the last guys starter test... dont have the truck running when you jump it off you have a good chance of completely messing starter up and/or solenoid.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Um, Check That The Valves Are Adjusted Properly, No One Said What It Had Done Leading Up To This, Or Perhaps I Read So Much That I Forgot It.
    Machinewiz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Check the fuse located near the battery if there is one...
    wutafuta Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 07:26 AM

Sorry I have been gone for a while. (got addicted to an online game :P ).

The above commenter is probably right. If you have a engine with a an over head valve you may need to take off the cover of it and check the clearance. Since I am short on time I found a page regarding this that explains how to do this well. Briggs and Stratton Commercial Power.

Also before doing this remove the belts from the engine to ensure the engine is free and cleared from any kind of disturbance. After you get the engine running then install belts and adjust from there. Good Luck!
    robrice2004 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 06:58 PM

I think mowerman is rite check the valves are adjusted rite
    lew135509 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
    What you want to do is jump the starter take the neg- and connect it to the frame of the tractor with a good connection like a bolt. Connect the pos+ to the starter then connect the other end of the jumper cables to the power supply. You will notice a spark and you will hear the motor turn over or attempt to turn over " MAKE SURE YOUR KEY IS IN THE RUNNING POSITION " if the starter is bad it will not start if it works it will start right up then you can work backwards right to the solenoid and to the ignition. When you test a solenoid take a screw driver and touch the terminals together " completing the circuit " and it should start right up. Hope this helps , LEW
    Atchannah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
    I have a 20 hp Briggs motor on a MTD yard machine riding mower and I was having problems starting it but now that I got it started it vibrates badly and smoking badly, what could b the problem! I changed battery and solenoid to get it started but during that process I fear I've done something to motor
    chalo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 02:56 AM
    HI! I change the head gasket of my lawn tractor and now won't start. It crank but don't start..
    chalo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 02:58 AM
    I change the head gasket to my lawn tractor( crastman LT 2000 ans now won't start.
    mick.yost Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 01:35 PM
    Yea I think it's a bad starter or selenoid... only thing I can think of
    joelrus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2013, 01:56 PM
    My lawn tractor with a newly charged battery that sears checked and said was good, started once then did not restart or even click the 2nd time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I troubleshooting my MTD lawn tractor? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi There, I have one MTD lawn tractor for many years. It is a MTD 14.5/42” 7 speed model. It stopped working during cutting the grass recently, and then I could not start this tractor any more. After then, I had replaced the new battery, new air filter, and the new spark plug. I had changed...

No start ayp lawn tractor [ 3 Answers ]

OK I have a AYP 22hp kohler with a electric pto clutch. The engine won't turn over with the key switch . I can jump the key switch and it will run. It will stay running as long as I leave the clutch/brake pedal engaged. If I release the clutch or try to engage the blades it will die . At first I...

Mtd lawn tractor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a used mtd lawn tractor, 38" deck, 7 speed manual ,12 hp I/c briggs engine. The tractor needs a new transmission belt. Because I don't have an owners manual or parts list, I don't know which belt to order. Does anyone know what belt I need?

MTD lawn tractor will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I had just finished mowing my lawn. The tractor sat in the lawn for about an hour. When I returned, it would not turn over. It makes a small click noise then nothing. I charged the batter over night, same result in the morning. It has a Briggs 14.5 HP engine. Where do I start? Thanks.

Bad solenoid in lawn tractor? [ 2 Answers ]

I was installing a new solenoid in my lawn tractor. The new solenoid posts were bigger than the eyelets in the cable connections. I drilled them out a bit. While tightening the cable connections onto the solenoid the posts in the solenoid began to spin... did I ruin the solenoid?:(

View more questions Search