Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolmom31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 06:36 PM
    If u sign over your parental rights do u still have to pay back child support
    Hi my ex wants to sign over his rights he hasn't been in my sons life in over 9 yrs . But he owes 18grand in back child support . Does he still have to pay that after he signs over his rights?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 06:42 PM

Well first, unless you have a new husband that wants to adopt, he can not just sign over his rights, the prison would not be full of people in jail for not paying if it was that easy.

So don't worry about the issue , since it is not possible to start with.

Next if he were to be able to sign over his rights for cause ( and he has not listed here) yes he still owes the back support.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmom31 View Post
    . But he owes 18grand in back child support . Does he still have to pay that after he signs over his rights?
    Yes-both past and future child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 27, 2010, 05:31 PM

There is a sticky note at the top of this forum that deals with this issue. Bottom line is that only a court can terminate parental rights, they cannot be signed over. And courts will not do so except under limited and specific circumstances. And they will not do so to allow a parent out of paying the support owed.
    coolmom31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    well first, unless you have a new husband that wants to adopt, he can not just sign over his rights, the prison would not be full of people in jail for not paying if it was that easy.

So don't worry about the issue , since it is not possible to start with.

next if he were to be able to sign over his rights for cause ( and he has not listed here) yes he still owes the back support.
    OK but yes my husband that has raised my son since he was 2months old would adopt him but we where told it cost a lot . My son has my madion name anyway. But my ex and I agree on this but I just want to know if he would still would have to pay for the back support . I now he wouldn't have to pay for any more . He hasn't been in my sons life for over 9yrs my son is almost 13
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 01:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coolmom31 View Post
    ok but yes my husband that has raised my son since he was 2months old would adopt him but we where told it cost alot . my son has my madion name anyways. But my ex and i agree on this but I just want to know if he would still would have to pay for the back support . i now he wouldnt have to pay for any more . He hasnt been in my sons life for over 9yrs my son is almost 13
    He IS under obligation to pay child support till adoption is finalized.No forgiveness for unpaid child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 28, 2010, 03:50 AM

First, who told you an adoption would cost a lot? Have you tried shopping around for attorneys?

If the adoption is uncontested, it probably won't cost as much. And maybe the ex will be willing to kick in some since it would end his FUTURE support obligation. As for the arrears, he would still owe that, but you MAY be able to forgive the debt. So, again, he may be willing to pay for the costs of the adoption if it means ending the support he owes.

Shop around for an attorney and ask whether these things are possible in your area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does anyone sign away parental rights, if they still pay child support? [ 10 Answers ]

I've been doing lots of reading up on signing away parental rights, and have read over and over that you are only signing away your rights, not your responsibilities or obligations. What I don't understand, is, why would a father choose to sign over his parental rights, yet still be obligated...

If I sign over my rights do I still have to pay child support [ 2 Answers ]

If I sign over my rights do I still have to pay child support

Can I sign over rights and not pay child support? [ 2 Answers ]

I found out a year after my son was born that he was mine. So I had to start paying child support and back child support. Then she was calling wanting me to be in his life so I said yes. She called the law and said I was going to cut her and the baby's neck so they put an order of protection were I...

Father Wants to sign away his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

Is this legal? Can he do this? Will the courts allow it since the child support was court ordered? His wife and him are trying to bully me into hiring a lawyer and having the paper work drawn up for this. They both were convicted of child abuse against my son and she has a no contact order...

View more questions Search