Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dkennedy1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Why does my camper toilet smell like sewage
    Smell eventually goes away but I was wondering if I need to keep valves open or shut?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 06:47 AM

For one thing if the primary chemical fot the tank is chlorine then you have to keep in mind that it disipates with time alone regardless of content. Another thing is you should wash the tank out periodically to keep it clean. Using bleach and fresh water and a good drive down a windy road usually does the trick. Also any venting should be done to the outside of the unit.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2010, 06:51 AM

Is this when the camper is in storage or in use? I the camper's not in use the trap seal in the toilet could have evaporated down allowing sewer gas to enter.
    I was wondering if I need to keep valves open or shut?
    If you're asking if you should keep the water shut off valve open and the camper pressured the answer is No. How long do you store the camper at a time? Back to you, Tom

Jun 27, 2010, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Is this when the camper is in storage or in use? I the camper's not in use the trap seal in the toilet could have evaporated down allowing sewer gas to enter.,
    If you're asking if you should keep the water shut off valve open and the camper pressured the answer is No. How long do you store the camper at a time? Back to you, Tom
    The camper is set up permanet and the sewage valve is what I was questioning,open or shut. We go every weekend.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2010, 07:13 AM

Does the smell come from the tank or the bowl? Is the sewer shut off put there by the park so that if the campers moved the line can be capped off or did you install it yourself?
    With a perminate installation I'd keep the sewer line open unless them park's subject to backups.
    As for the smelly toilet it could be a faulty wax seal. Could the smell come from inside a wall? Is it worse at night? Back to you, Tom

Jun 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Does the smell come from the tank or the bowl? Is the sewer shut off put there by the park so tyhat if the campers moved the line can be capped off or did you install it yourself?
    With a perminate installation I'd keep the sewer line open unless them park's subject to backups.
    As for the smelly toilet it could be a faulty wax seal. Could the smell come from inside a wall? Is it worse at night? Back to you, Tom
    The sewage line runs from the camper directly to the parks sewage system. The smell is from the bowl. I've been told to close the valve ( just push the handle in under the camper ) and then before I leave open it, run some water, let drain and close back.?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 27, 2010, 05:48 PM

This is a valve that cuts off the sewage flow from the camper to the parks sewer? Is the smell worse in the bowl or at the base? Your toilet has a trap seal in it designed to prevent sewer gas from entering your unit. If the bowl level was too low that would explain it. Has the bowl level been low lately?
    Any moisture around the base? Let me know, Tom

Jun 29, 2010, 03:30 PM
    This is a valve that cuts off the sewage flow from the camper to the parks sewer? Is the smell worse in the bowl or at the base? Your toilet has a trap seal in it designed to prevent sewer gas from entering your unit. If the bowl level was too low that would explain it. Has the bowl level been low lately?
    Any moisture around the base? Let me know, Tom
    I'm not sure but I don't believe so. I'm going to the beach Thursday and I'll stop and check and let you know. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Smell From Toilet [ 9 Answers ]

I really hope someone can help me here... I think my husband and I have tried EVERYTHING! We have a sewar smell coming from our toilet. We have a concrete floor and the carpet has been removed. We have replaced the wax ring 3 times. We have caulked the falange and the smell still broke through....

Sewage smell in upstairs bathroom, coming from toilet [ 7 Answers ]

I replaced my upstairs toilet with a new low flow one, then got my septic tank cleaned out professionally. There's still a bad smell in the bathroom even though my friend took the toilet off again and replaced the wax ring. Help please!! Thanks

Sewage smell from bathroom from wax toilet seal? [ 1 Answers ]

I get a sewage smell in my bathroom. Can this come from a deformed wax seal under the toilet. What are other likely couses?

Sewage smell in bathroom after flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

We have had a sewage smell in our guest bathroom for about a month. It has gotten really bad latley. Every time we flush or run water for a bath the odor starts. :eek: I need some suggestions on what to do to resolve this issue. Thanks for any suggestions!!

Sewage smell in basement under 1st floor toilet [ 1 Answers ]

In our large unfinished basement a sewage smell that appeared for about the past 4-6 weeks. It localizes to the area immediately underneath the drain for the 1st floor toilet, although the drain pipe from the 2nd floor bathroom is only 12 inches away. There is mild staining of the otherwise dry,...

View more questions Search