jazzy7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
    How to unclog a drum trap
    How do I unclog a drum trap.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 04:48 PM
    Hi Jazzy...

What exactly is the issue/fixture that is clogged?

What material is your drum trap made from... lead, brass, or PVC? The material type will decide how to remove the plug in the drum trap. Once the plug is out you can use a wet vac. To suck the trap dry and then you can snake the drain line for best job... ;)

Let us know more including whether you can even find the plug in the drum trap.

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy7 View Post
    How do I unclog a drum trap.
    To snake a drum trap you must first understand how they're made, (see image).
    You must remove the cover and snake from the trap itself. Depending on where the clog is you send your snake in the top pipe for a clog between the tub and the trap. Anything downstream fron the trap must be snaked fromm the bottom pipe. Put out about 8 foot of snake. If you have a problem removing the cover take a chisel and hammer and notch the cover (see image) Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace drum trap with p trap [ 6 Answers ]

How do I replace with pvc wher do I put p trap and how do I connect it up

Drum trap [ 5 Answers ]

My tub drain is almost completely clogged. I had plummers out yesterday and they said They suspect a drum trap because they couldn't get they're snake through. Their Suggestion is to tear out the wall to get to the trap and replace it with a J-trap. Its an apartment on the ground floor also...

Can I Replace Drum Trap with P Trap? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! My house was built in 1960 and has a slab foundation. I have removed the old master bathtub that I plan to replace with a shower. I have a couple of questions concerning the drum trap on the floor next to the master tub. First, the drum trap is so close to the bathtub that the new style...

Broken drum trap [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I can do to plug a hole in a drum trap until I can get it replaced? It was probably damaged by a recent snake job. The hole is about 2" long by about 1" across at the widest point. It's at the top part of the trap.

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

View more questions Search