Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonnie99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Connecting plastic tube to copper
    My icemaker came with a plastic tube and the water supply to the previous icemaker used copper tubing... is there a way of connecting the two...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 05:49 PM
    Hi Bonnie...

Sure is a way to connect the two... ;)

You'll need to go to home depot and you'll want to pick up a 1/4" brass compression coupling/union fitting... (first image). Then you'll try to reuse the old copper nut (2nd image) and ferrule (3rd image) on the old copper line and the new plastic nut/ferrule provided at the plastic refrigerator line and screw them into the new compression coupling. This means that, for now, set aside the brass nuts/ferrules that come with the compression coupling and connect the two existing lines/fittings directly to the compression coupling itself. Do not use pipe dope or teflon tape here... simply screw the fittings into the coupling... tighten pretty tight without overdoing it.

Then check for leaks... hopefully, all set!

If not, then your plastic water line might require a compression INSERT (last image), or you may need to install a new nut/ferrule, but if so, pop back and discuss with us to determine next steps... OK?

Glad to help...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A spray-like leak on plastic tube water line to refrigerator. How do I fix it? [ 10 Answers ]

I heard a "hissing" noise and discovered a small spray-like leak on the plastic tube water line to my refrigerator. How do I repair it?

Connecting 3" copper pipe with 3" plastic pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My father needs to replace an existing 3" copper bathroom drain with new 3" plastic... How does connect the existing 3" copper with the new plastic?

Copper to plastic [ 11 Answers ]

I need to add an outside faucet and will have to T into exsiting copper tubing. Can I use plastic pipe to T into the copper pipe? I am trying to save money.

Copper into plastic [ 2 Answers ]

Hi iwas replacing my floor because it was rotting when I was cutting some of it up I got into my copper supply line for the shower how can I tie into it with plastic because my soldering job turned out to be a big waste of time. Thank you for your help

View more questions Search