Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 07:30 AM
    Is secretly cell phone tracking someone legal?
    There is a thread here where a guy talks about tracking his new wife, to prove to himself that she is faithful to him. He keeps seeing small differences between where she says she's been and where the phone says she's been. Is it legal for him to do this without her knowledge?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 07:32 AM

It is legal but , in this case, not a great idea. Its legal because its his family phone. He could not do this on someone else's phone.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 07:42 AM

His wife doesn't count as someone else?

I can see tracking children, since they have basically no rights. But another adult?

When I read the ads for phone tracking software, they mention children and "loved ones," but never wives and girlfriends explicitly, though it's clearly an option. The fact that they don't say it explicitly made me wonder if it's a grey area or actually illegal. So far, surfing the internet has only turned up discussions of the legality of government entities using this, obviously a different thing.

Wouldn't monitoring another adult's every move count as stalking?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 07:46 AM

Picture it this way, what if he hired a private detective to follow her. Would that be illegal? Technology and the law do not always move at the same speed. This tracking was not possible until a few years ago. As time moves on there may be court cases that will establish a precedance but, for now, I know of no law that says you can't track someone carrying one of your cell phones.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 07:53 AM

Okay. I guess that makes sense.
    Creepy though.

I will advise people to get their own cell phone/plan... not accept someone else's cell phone. In retrospect, I think someone may have done this to me, but I didn't know it at the time. I have since pulled the chip and got my own plan.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Is secretly cell phone tracking someone legal?
    Hello asking:

That isn't the right question. Secrecy has nothing to do with it. Whether you have the right to intercept signals in the air is the question. And, you absolutely have that right.

If you don't want to be tracked or listened to on the air, you don't use a cell phone. Or you use one WITH encryption software, and WITHOUT GPS capability. But, once you put your signal in the air, anyone can pick it up. You don't think your cell phone conversations are private, do you? Think again.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    It is legal but , in this case, not a great idea. Its legal because its his family phone. He could not do this on someone else's phone.
    Even that is a gray area. Some people have the GPS locator services enabled but aren't aware of how public it can be if they haven't managed their settings carefully.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello asking:

That isn't the right question. Secrecy has nothing to do with it. Whether you have the right to intercept signals in the air is the question. And, you absolutely have that right.

If you don't want to be tracked or listened to on the air, you don't use a cell phone. Or you use one WITH encryption software, and WITHOUT GPS capability. But, once you put your signal in the air, anyone can pick it up. You don't think your cell phone conversations are private, do you? Think again.

excon
    No excon, I don't think cell phone conversations are private. The other part hadn't completely penetrated, that phones can be used to track someone in real time even when the person is making no calls and even when the phone is turned "off."
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 08:10 AM
    ... that phones can be used to track someone in real time even when the person is making no calls and even when the phone is turned "off."
    When the phone is off it cannot be tracked.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 08:12 AM

It can if it has certain software loaded. I have this on good authority from a former ATT executive. It only appears to be off. The software can be loaded onto the phone by a third party when the phone is on.

I think if you pull the chip, it cannot be tracked! One can hope...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 21, 2010, 08:13 AM
    You must also consider the technological nature of modern cell phones.
    They ceased being merely a method of voice communication several years ago.

The latest Android devices can freely broadcast your exact whereabouts to everyone and anyone, even what you are thinking (via FB, etc, updates)

Now it really depends on the use this information is being put as to the legalities of the situation.

Here is a good case in point: Canadians form adulterers' privacy campaign ? The Register
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 08:16 AM
    It can if it has certain software loaded. I have this on good authority from a former ATT executive. It only appears to be off. The software can be loaded onto the phone by a third party when the phone is on.

I think if you pull the chip, it cannot be tracked! One can hope...
    That means having access to the phone long enough to install software, that wasn't mentioned earlier.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    That means having access to the phone long enough to install software, that wasn't mentioned earlier.
    In this case, "access" does not mean physically handling the phone. It just means the phone is on. I don't think you are getting what I'm saying. You can have this software on your phone and not even know it's there. It can be put there by the FBI or whomever. It does exist; this isn't a paranoid conspiracy theory. But the current generation of phones broadcast so much information that it almost makes this beside the point.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 08:34 AM
    I guess I'm glad I don't live in the same country as where the FBI is. Like Ben said, when you install an Android app it tells what services it plans to use before the installation. Sucks to be an american and be spied on by your government though.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2010, 09:58 AM

One question that hasn't been answered is who pays for the phone. If the husband pays for it, then he can definitely legally track it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 12:50 PM

I'm assuming the account is in the husband's name.
    I think it's clear from this discussion that it's legal for him to do this.
    Presumably all kinds of people are now doing this with partners they don't trust (and children). Somehow, I don't see this alleviating anyone's anxieties about fidelity though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2010, 12:57 PM

I can get gps tracking into all of the phones I own, give them to the kids, know where they are at. I think our company has them in the ones they give us ( not sure)

You can buy tracking devices to put in your cars, ( as long as you own them)

Can't remember the case, but in one state they had trouble finding a criminal offense when someone put one under someone else's, since they were not physcially following, the state stalking laws did not apply, and since they did not go into the car, or tamper with the car, those laws did not cover it,

So often new things go past where our laws are written
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2010, 02:26 PM

I might start another thread in a technology section about how accurate phone tracking is in terms of pinpointing a specific phone's location at a given time.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 03:34 PM
    I might start another thread in a technology section about how accurate phone tracking is in terms of pinpointing a specific phone's location at a given time.
    Easy answer - it depends it the tracking is done by tower triangulation or by GPS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon? [ 5 Answers ]

Which is the best cell phone and cell phone plan in Verizon?My contract is about to end.I want to switch to Verizon.So any suggestions?

Cell Phone tracking [ 1 Answers ]

I'm receiving harassing text messages from a number I don't recognize. I want to find out who this is as quickly as possible. I know I can file a police report and go through all that stuff but I was wondering if there is an easier way. I tried Intelius.com they couldn't help. Does anyone have...

Cell phone conversation tracking [ 2 Answers ]

I am concerned that someone may be tracking my cell phone. That doesn't bother me since I have nothing to hide, but now I'm worried that they may try to track my calls... that is going to far. Is this possible? OR legal? Can the local state and government do this too? OR am I just being...

Tracking a cell phone [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a way to track a cell phone by the phone number, I want to see where my kids go, I don't want them to know I am tracking them. So is there a software that allows me to do this

Cell phone, etc. Tracking? [ 3 Answers ]

I've met a man, we have dated, he says he lives in Maryland (originally said D.C.), however the cell #/area code (818) is L.A. based.  When he calls my home phone, appropriate name comes up, however I would like to find out his actual place of residence... seeing if  he is truthful... All I have is...

View more questions Search