Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marshaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 02:50 PM
    How wide should inside window wood trim be?
    Currently my inside windows do not have wood trim around them. Do you have a picture of an inside window trimmed with wood?

Thanks.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
    They can have any size trim,it would be personal choice.

Some rooms can have simple 1X4 wood,stained,painted,etc.. Other rooms might look good with 2" shaped trim,the sill at the bottom might be a 1X6 with a routed edge and the trim would need to match, or not.. it really is buyer choice.

There are many sites online with window samples.Crestline,Tempco,Peachtree,Pella.One of them might have simple(to extravagant) ideas.

Hope you can find one you like and go with it.:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 04:52 PM
    Hi, marshaw and KBC!

So, there aren't possibly any requirements that trim has to be a certain width, KBC? Like for the code in a town or city?

Thanks!
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jun 18, 2010, 05:04 PM

Here's are videos for you:
    How to Install Window Trim | Video | Windows | This Old House

Installing Interior Window Casings and Sill - BobVila.com
    If you can match your baseboard molding that would work as trim around the windows.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, marshaw and KBC!

So, there aren't possibly any requirements that trim has to be a certain width, KBC? Like for the code in a town or city?

Thanks!
    There wouldn't be any code involved.

Code would be for,say,a fire hazard,a door swinging inward where there is a possibility of a blast from inside,not allowing the force to exit through an in-swing.. or the opposite,needing the in-swing to protect the outer side from a blast.

Window trim doesn't pose a residential threat in any way,it is decorative.

This is my humble opinion as I am not a code enforcement official.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2010, 10:04 PM

Use same type of trim u have around door jamb. This will give the continuity in the trim.

Each room can be treated as an individual entity. Dwpends on the look u want.

Chuck
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 10:08 PM
    Hi again, marshaw!

Is this for a really old home or a more modern one, please?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need 3 inch wide carpet trim [ 2 Answers ]

I need carpet transition trim that is 3 inches wide. Does that even exist? 2 inches is not wide enough.

Wood Trim manufacturing and Carbon Fiber [ 4 Answers ]

I have a jaguar S-type 2005. The gear shift knob handle on it is made from real/authentic Honey Burl wood (which matches the rest of the car's interior). Anyway, I was wondering how to manufacture a piece like this (like a 3D solid piece, NOT a flat type piece). I have researched that the...

Inside window treatments [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get plastic window muttons for my double hung windows?

Window jamb is not plumb, how do I trim inside? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing a walkout basement, and realized one window jamb is out of plumb by about 1/2": the bottom sticks out to be flush with sheetrock inside, but the top is flush with the framing. The top tips toward the outside. The wall is plumb on the inside but not on the outside. I suspect the...

Ugly wood trim [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently bought a 1980's ranch style house. All the trim, moldings and doors are stained. I NEED to paint it all white as I cannot take the darkness anymore :) Do I need to sand, prime, and paint, or will a good oil based paint work fine? (There is A LOT of painting to do)

View more questions Search