Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadecoste Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Whirlpool Dryer Shuts Off
    Why is the dryer shutting off after about 5 minutes? There is no lint, it is vented correctly, can see heat exhausting... what gives:(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Dryers have temperature switches in them that shut off the dryer if anything gets too hot. They can go bad and shut down a normally running dryer. Gas and electric work slightly different. Just have to trace the circuits.

I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit.

Somebody else mentioned kit by Greenlee for $30.

Jan 11, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Whirlpool Dryer Shuts off
    It is an electric drier - was in the house when I just purchased it (just this past July) - looks new and this just started happening, will see what I find, thanks, I will look for the gadget first and test it
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jan 23, 2006, 06:43 PM
    If you get me the model number, I could probably give you a lot of help, if you still need it.

Jan 24, 2006, 04:28 AM
    Whirlpool Dryer Shuts off
    The Model # is LER4634EQ2 - it seems to be working again, not sure why.. I didn't do anything? Is it possible that a lighter load causes it to heat up and the safety is triggered? Any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jan 24, 2006, 07:33 PM
    The only 2 devices that will shut the dryer down and allow it to restart later is the TOD (thermal overload device) that is incorporated into the motor itself, and also some start switches have a coil to keep the contacts closed and the dryer running. There is a TOD on the heater box, but it will only kill the heater, not the motor. There is sometimes a TOD on the back by the operating (~150 degree) thermostat, but when it opens and shuts the unit down, you have to replace it - it won't reset on it's own. You have a basic auto-dry dryer. The dryer doesn't actually sense the clothes, instead it relies on the cycling of the operating thermostat to cycle the timer motor on and off until the load is dry. It is unusual for an autodry dryer to stop after only five minutes. I first wonder how long you have owned the dryer. One thing that should always be inspected is the terminal block where the cord connects to the dryer. If the block screws were left loose when the cord was installed, the connection will overheat, causing the wires to scorch and eventually stop the dryer from running. This process can sometimes take up to 3 to 5 years, so it may be worth looking at. Also look at the plug end; all 3 or 4 prongs should be the same color; if not, you have a bad dryer outlet. If all that checks OK, it may have indeed been an overly heavy load, but in order to shut the unit down that quickly, I would think it would have been massive. Did it happen to just one load? Did you find anything caught in the felt seals of the drum on the front or back? When a motor gets too hot and shuts down, you can't restart it until the motor cools off. Were you able to restart it immediately? Does the motor make a strange groan-like sound just when you push the start button? Do you have to hold the button for more than one second to get the dryer to stay running? These are all tell-tale signs of a bad motor. There are still other possibilities, but they will be harder to pin down. Let me know if any of this makes any sense.
    cake-eater Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Comment on applguy's post
    Very knowledgeable answer
    dnaspill222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 10:01 PM

I have a whirlpool dryer ler5848eq2 it gets hot and stop working when it cools down it comes back on I had replaced the motor about 6 months ago I have bought a heating element but haven't changed it yet and a new belt if I change this do you think this will fix the problem
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 12, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dadecoste View Post
    The Model # is LER4634EQ2 - it seems to be working again, not sure why..I didn't do anything? Is it possible that a lighter load causes it to heat up and the safety is triggered? Any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated
    =
    I wonder if what happens at 190V?
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by applguy View Post
    The only 2 devices that will shut the dryer down and allow it to restart later is the TOD (thermal overload device) that is incorporated into the motor itself, and also some start switches have a coil to keep the contacts closed and the dryer running. There is a TOD on the heater box, but it will only kill the heater, not the motor. There is sometimes a TOD on the back by the operating (~150 degree) thermostat, but when it opens and shuts the unit down, you have to replace it - it won't reset on it's own. You have a basic auto-dry dryer. The dryer doesn't actually sense the clothes, instead it relies on the cycling of the operating thermostat to cycle the timer motor on and off until the load is dry. It is unusual for an autodry dryer to stop after only five minutes. I first wonder how long you have owned the dryer. One thing that should always be inspected is the terminal block where the cord connects to the dryer. If the block screws were left loose when the cord was installed, the connection will overheat, causing the wires to scorch and eventually stop the dryer from running. This process can sometimes take up to 3 to 5 years, so it may be worth looking at. Also look at the plug end; all 3 or 4 prongs should be the same color; if not, you have a bad dryer outlet. If all that checks ok, it may have indeed been an overly heavy load, but in order to shut the unit down that quickly, I would think it would have been massive. Did it happen to just one load? Did you find anything caught in the felt seals of the drum on the front or back? When a motor gets too hot and shuts down, you can't restart it until the motor cools off. Were you able to restart it immediately? Does the motor make a strange groan-like sound just when you push the start button? Do you have to hold the button for more than one second to get the dryer to stay running? These are all tell-tale signs of a bad motor. There are still other possibilities, but they will be harder to pin down. Let me know if any of this makes any sense.
    =
    try simplifying with giving the first step... Do you have the correct Voltage to the Dryer?
    chong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 08:30 PM
    My model# WGD6400SW0
    jirema Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 03:00 AM
    Hello I have similar problems going with my Whirlpool 29" Electric Dryer Model# LER66646PW0. My Dryer would start for 5 minute then stop. I would play with the Timer Knob and hit start again and it would work for another 5 min then stop. Read the articles and replaced the Thermal Fuse in the back and didn't work. While I was back there I cleaned out all of the lint from the vents. Now playing with Timer Knob trick isn't working and my Dryer is now dead. Could it be the motor? And it's not real clear on how to check the Motor with a Volt meter on the web. Any help I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
    VicFL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 09:56 AM
    I have the same situation with Whirlpool Dryer LER4634EQ2.
    Replaced
    Cut Off 279816
    Thermal CutOff KIT 279816

And problem still continues...
    Any thoughts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Whirlpool Dryer Problem [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchase a new Whirlpool washer and dryer. 1. Upon delivery the dryer wouldn’t start at all. I checked the outlet and dryer connection with a volt meter and both showed 220v so the delivery person said it was a bad dryer and took it back. 2. Upon the next delivery the dryer ran for...

Whirlpool Dryer won't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool dryer (model #LGR7646EQ2) that got a tennis show caught in between the drum and the door. I heard the shoe thumping, then the dryer stopped. I removed the tennis shoe, but the dryer won't start back up. I can turn the drum by hand, but the start button won't turn it on. ...

My Whirlpool Dryer is over heating [ 1 Answers ]

It has a weird smell where the heat blows into the dryer It is getting extremely hot I have replaced the thermostat and 2 other thing but it still is over heating what could be the problem.:(

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool dryer which has stopped spinning, the motor still runs, and it still heats up. I would like to try and figure out what is wrong with it. The model number is #LER7646DQ0.

Magic Chef Dryer shuts off [ 10 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP! I have a Magic Chef dryer model #YE205KW. Recently, it stopped heating with no other problems. I replaced the high limit thermostat and the thermal fuse. It worked fine with the first load or two and now it shuts off after a few minutes of drying time. After a few minutes later,...

View more questions Search