Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samunder_2000 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2004, 04:52 AM
    Smelling wisdom tooth
    Hi,
    I am 30 years old. My wisdom tooth lies a little lower than the rest. I noticed that it smells bad. I put a finger on the tooth and smell the finger. The finger smells bad. I tried with other teeth. They smell normal.
    I have been taking extra care while brushing after I became aware of this (2 weeks ago). But that didn't help much yet. Is it anything to worry? Any reason why this should happen?
    Thank you in advance :-)
    ReinPro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 08:41 PM
    Same Smelling Wisdom Tooth problem
    I am 33 years old, and have had the same problem with my wisdom tooth. I have been dealing with it for almost two years. This is very frustrating because no amount of scrubbing or brushing makes a difference.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 31, 2005, 09:03 PM
    Have either of you gone to a dentist or called one to see what could be causing this odor on just one tooth? Just seems strange only 1 tooth would have a problem as you have mentioned. Try a dentist if brushing and flossing don't help.
    ReinPro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2005, 09:13 PM
    Same Smelling Wisdom Tooth problem
    I don't have insurance, have 5 kids and working two jobs paychk to paychk but in the process of saving to see one. I googled this and this was the only place that listed someone with the same problem.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Feb 5, 2005, 09:13 PM
    Hopefully it won't be long before u can see a dentist
    Quote Originally Posted by ReinPro
    I don't have insurance, have 5 kids and working two jobs paychk to paychk but in the process of saving to see one. I googled this and this was the only place that listed someone with the exact same problem.
    Didn't know your situation until you explained the fact of having no insurance but I'm sure you know you can go to a dentist or doctor without insurance. Teeth can be expensive as it cost me $1000.00 to save a tooth but well worth the money. Good luck to you in finding relief for your tooth.
    blu72 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2005, 02:54 PM
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with my lower wisdom tooth and have had this now for at least a year. It is a real annoyance as it constantly makes me self concisous when speaking to others.
    I indeed did go to the dentist to inquire about this problem and to attempt to get a solution, however my dentist told me that as my upper wisdom tooth was growing towards my cheek this was the most likely cause, even though I explained to him that the smell was most definitely coming from the bottom wisdom not the top. Nevertheless, he wanted to extract my top wisdom. I rejected the advice and instead just used the Corsodyl mouthwash he advised. This did indeed clear up the problem, however gave me a very bad taste which impacted my ability to taste properly. Also this mouthwash caused my teeth to turn black as described as a side-effect on the back of the mouthwash itself. Needless to say I do not think this is a solution to the problem. I am therefore curious as to whether anyone has a better solution or even better a cure? I too have trawled the internet and this is the only place I have found any reference to the problem. I would be grateful for any further feedback. Thanks in advance!
    kfchewj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 04:24 AM
    Here is a link that explains it well.

Why should impacted wisdom teeth be extracted?
    jimjamjoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Had the same problem - seems to be rare, and not very pleasant.

Tried the corsodyl suggestion and I think it's working - within 24hrs seems to be clearing up a treat. I would have waited longer to let you know, but I know I won't be motivated to in a week's time.

Worth a try, and what was said about teeth discolouration - the bottle says that can be brushed away... thanks
    sugar_so_sweet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 03:48 PM

You have a cavity under your gums. The smells amoniasmell is the pus. See a dentist. It can KILL u
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2008, 07:28 PM

Floss, two or three time a day. Be sure to move the gum, both sides, loosening any gunk that is hiding there by the tooth. Shoving floss in then pulling it out can push bacteria into the space between gum and tooth. After flossing, brush gently with motions designed to both clean your gums and pull stuff away from them.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 03:13 PM

It sounds like you have a periodontal condition around a tooth that is near impossible to clean. You can rinse using warm salt water, use a wet rubber tip (stimulator) dipped in baking soda and trace around the tooth every day until the infection is gone.
    Once the infection is cleared up continue using the rubber tip to clean around the wisdom tooth.

Be sure you are using a toothbrush that is compact in size to allow you to reach this molar easier, before you place your brush at the wisdom tooth, close your mouth slightly so you have more room to maneuver the brush (when you open wide your cheek muscle pulls tight making it difficult to fit your brush in properly).

If you are a non smoker, rinse with Listerine every night, if you are a smoker then use a rinse such as Crest ProHealth nightly.

You definitely should have your dentist take a look. As previously noted a severe infection can cause serious health problems.

Good luck!
    marvelus49 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 06:17 AM

Despite your extra effort at cleaning around those pesky back wisdom teeth you are likely missing food particles and when they've become trapped for a few days you get the smell. And then the decay starts in. I know it's a huge expense but this is one of the reasons dentists strong recommend extraction of wisdom teeth. Many dental schools provide reduced or even free dentistry for those who can't afford it. Check too with your local department of social services and ask them for a referral of a dentist that may be willing to take on a "freebee" case now and then, as does the dentist I work for. I know many dentists will also work with the "barter system". Your teeth are important to your overall health - take care of them and save yourself some grief as you age.
    ACV Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
    I'm 23 and I am having the same problem. I too am waiting my dentist appointment. My bottom left tooth is actually causing pain all the was from my jaw to my neck. It has a bad odor to it and I brush it like crazy all the time but nothing helps. My top right wisdom tooth is all the way out and it didn't do this at all. The bottom right is slightly out and the top left in still just under the skin. When I get back from the dentist I will fill you in on what I'm told.
    adiamond4ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 05:15 PM
    I am over 30yrs. Old and have been having this problem for a while. I finally went to the dentist to see if my wisdom teeth could be the cause of the bad smell. My dentist said that my wisdom teeth could have bacteria in them and he referred me to a dental surgeon who could remove my wisdom teeth. I had the wisdom teeth removed today so I don't know the outcome of the smell, but I will keep you posted:confused:
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Apr 21, 2009, 08:21 PM

Get it extracted. If you really can't, you can clean it out with a Waterpik or a syringe full of listerine
    Summer2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 07:03 AM
    I also have this problem. I looked it up only because I have also swollen lymph glands and I thought perhaps it's a side effect of a growing n wisdom tooth. I have tried flossing and brushing-paying special attention to that tooth, and even a few minutes after, the smell is there. Someone said I have a cavity UNDER the tooth and that it could kill me??
    Why is it so uncommon? Why do we all suffer from it?
    I've been worried about my lymph glands, and I don't have insurance... :(
    Now should I be worried about this? Does that rotten smell ever go away??
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 07:01 PM

Summer,
    You definitely should go see a dentist. Your wisdom tooth could be infected, there could be a cavity or an abscess. If there is infection it can run through your whole body and make you feel unwell. It could also lead to more serious conditions like heart attack, blindness or death.
    dilbert_624 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2009, 08:45 PM
    Your tooth is probably infected. I had this for some time now, had to bite the bullet and have the little sucker pulled. If you have the cash, go general not local. With the local you won't feel the gum, but you sure are going to feel the pull and the breaking of the tooth. Get knocked out, wish I could have. But 15 minutes of hell is worth not having to deal with it when you are older. Dentist said it gets worse as we get older. I'm 32. It can be fatal.
    Kira17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 10:58 PM
    I had the same problem. No matter how much I brushed, the smell didn't seem to go away. I did find gargling with peroxide to help a bit, however. It makes the odor go away for quite a long period (from hours in a day, to days at a time). Try gargling with Hydrogen Peroxide (the one in the brown bottle that you could buy nearly everywhere) once or twice a day. It didn't start taking effect until a week and half after I started. I also started concentrating my brush strokes (after initial brush) towards the back. Oh, and try not to pick on it (i.e. using your fingers or pressing with the tip of your tongue) since that seems to make the smell stronger.

Good luck.
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2009, 12:11 PM
    When picking at it or pressing it with your tongue you cause the pus to ooze and so you notice the odour. Definitely need to see a dentist. Antibiotics are probably in order.
    Using hydrogen peroxide as a rinse for extended periods has been linked to increasing the risk of oral cancer especially if you are a smoker and/or drinker. You are best to use the peroxide on a Qtip and gently dab it over the area as a TEMPORARY measure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Words of wisdom... [ 4 Answers ]

When I was 15yrs in 1999, a song was release called 'Sunscreen'. At the time it did not really mean much to me or have much of an impact. I heard it for the first time since 1999 last night and the words had so much of an impact on me I just had to share it with you guys. It bought tears to my...

Bad smelling bath/sink [ 2 Answers ]

For the past few months we have been noticing a bad, sulfur-type odor coming from our master bath toilet and sink. The smell is not constant and doesn't always correspond to running water (running both hot and cold water in the sink can cause the smell, but it disappears after a few minutes) or...

Help with sewage smelling basement! [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for any input. Let me begin by saying I know NOTHING about the plumbing in my 100+ yr old home so let me provide you with some information. I have a stone block foundation that has leaked since the day I moved in so I'm not a stranger to seepage in my basement. Lately though ANY time I...

Wisdom Teeth Post Op Question [ 1 Answers ]

I had my left side extracted 2 days ago. I feel like I've done everything right and even went back to the oral surgeon to make sure, but last night I noticed some blood in my mouth. This morning my teeth had blood all over them. Now, my mouth wasn't dripping blood, it was just on my teeth. Is this...

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search