Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstubblefield77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 05:07 PM
    2 prior honorable discharges, last enlistment BCD, VA home benefits
    I served in the Marines for ten years have had two honorable dishcarges in leiu of reenlisting. During my third tour I was special courtmartialed and awarded a BCD. Will this make me eneligible for a VA Home Loan?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 05:11 PM
    A BCD would eliminate you from virtually all veterans benefits, so the answer is yes.

Jul 31, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Not to be rude but we all know every one is certainly entitled to an "opinion", however when you say a BCD eliminates a person from virtually all veterans benefits, I beg to differ. I am currently receiving my GI Bill benefits, and if I'm correct that's a VA benefit I am entitled to. Thanks for offering your opinion, however not entirely accurate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Actually no, GI bill is a specific funding, bu yes, the BCD will make you unable to get most benefits
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jstubblefield77
    Not to be rude but we all know every one is certainly entitled to an "opinion", however when you say a BCD eliminates a person from virtually all veterans benefits, I beg to differ. I am currently receiving my GI Bill benefits, and if I'm correct that's a VA benefit I am entitled to. Thanks for offering your opinion, however not entirely accurate.
    This was taken from a Wisconsin Vets web site:

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. Dishonorable and bad-conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison and parolees may be eligible for certain VA benefits.

Bad conduct, dishonorable, less than honorable or undesirable military discharges which may prevent eligibility for VA medical care, pensions, compensation or other benefits can be changed by applying to the appropriate military service's discharge review board. To learn more, see: United States Military Information

Unless I am certain about an answer, I don't answer until I have done some research.

Aug 5, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    This was taken from a Wisconsin Vets web site:

Eligibility for most VA benefits is based upon discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. Dishonorable and bad-conduct discharges issued by general courts-martial bar VA benefits. Veterans in prison and parolees may be eligible for certain VA benefits.

Bad conduct, dishonorable, less than honorable or undesirable military discharges which may prevent eligibility for VA medical care, pensions, compensation or other benefits can be changed by applying to the appropriate military service's discharge review board. To learn more, see: United States Military Information

Unless I am certain about an answer, I don't answer until I have done some research.
    I''ve done some research of my own on this issue. I contacted the VA Home loan eligibility service rep. and posed this very same question. His answer was, Yes, a service member who is discharged from the military with a BCD but has had a previous honorable discharge is still elibigle despite the fact that the last enlistment ended in a BCD. Eligibility would be based on the first honorable discharge. So, I will keep you posted on my progress for those of you who are in a similar situation.
    headingtoschool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 12:29 PM

How are you receiving your GI bill with a BCD? I have a BCD and I am trying to use my GI bill.
    harryoballin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 04:06 AM

Jstubblefield would you keep us posted. I'm getting discharged from the navy during my second enlistment with a oth. It is my understanding that since I completed my first enlistment with a honorable I keep my gi bill, but your saying I would keep va home loan benefit? That would be great!
    IDKwhatIwant Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 04:44 PM

I contacted the VA Home loan eligibility service rep.

How?

Thanks.

EDIT: NVM. Wow thanks. I didn't know you could get phone numbers from their website. Just reading your post has helped me a lot.
    ereck6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 07:31 AM

I'm a marine corps vietnam vet that was given a bcd for trying to steal money from an officer, through a special courtmartial. I had a prior special courtmartial in westpac for possession of marijuana and given brig time. I'm not trying to make excuses but I had a drug and alcohol problem back then. I heard that many troops that received OTH during the 70's for drugs were given upgrades. What's my chances of getting a upgrade to a general. I've been out since Feb 1972 and served almost 5 yrs active including bad time.
    rarch372 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 10:24 AM
    I called the va and was told that you ARE eligible for your benefits as long as you have at least 1 honorable discharge in your records. The number is 1-888-442-4551
    rarch372 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2010, 10:24 AM
    I called the va and was told that you ARE eligible for your benefits as long as you have at least 1 honorable discharge in your records. The number is 1-888-442-4551
    wendee008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 02:31 PM

I work for the VA. Yes, you would be eligible for benefits for the periods of service that you received honorable service for. Your "bad" service does not negate your "good" service. You can receive a home loan and VA compensation for the periods of service that is "good" service. The VA would do what is called a "character of discharge" determination to differentiate the dates of your good versus bad service
    clay391 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2010, 02:31 PM
    I contacted my va rep about benefits and because I had a previous honorable discharge they granted me benefits. I imagine it might be a case by case basis. Remember, don't assume anything until you ask. If I listened to all the people that told me I can't get benefits, I would have never asked the va rep to be sure. I had a previous honorable discharge and a bcd from a special court martial for counts of distribution of extacy, ketamine and LSD. I still got granted my benefits. I went to collage and now I have a great job. Remember, don't talk to anyone about this issue unless they are your VA rep.
    JOUANWOEUR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 10:29 PM

Don't let this idiots discourage you. Eligibility for most VA benefits is based on discharge from active military service under other-than-dishonorable conditions. Even if you have a BCD or OTH, you are still eligible for most VA benefits. The only thing that will bar you is getting a General Courts Martial BCD or DD. As long as it was a special courtsmartial BCD then you are good to go.

Attached is a link that will explain your rights with the VA. http://girightshotline.org/en/milita...es-coast-guard

If you have a GCM BCD or DD try to appeal it and get it upgraded.
    Kappavelli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
    This is true your first enlistment, if over 24 months, gives you your eligibility and the last enlistment wouldn't bar you from receiving your benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Home loan tax benefits in US when buying property in India [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am working in US for last few months. I want to buy an apartment in my home country India. Can someone please share knowledge on how much tax benefits can I avail in US if I take home loan from an Indian bank for an apartment in India ? Thanks.

WOW, This article says nothing about the benefits of staying home with your children [ 23 Answers ]

I believe this may be contraversal, but I am willing to hear your say on this. This article says there is no way to go back to one parent staying home. I stay home and yes I am broke most of the time, but I think it's worth it to be with my kids. There are so many things that I leave behind to...

Unable to pay for second home and a prior BK [ 6 Answers ]

I really need some advice here; I am in a serious mess. I purchased a second home about 4 months ago thinking my first house has been sold. Well the deal fell through and now I am stuck with two house payments. I have cut back on my profit to $0 in the house I am trying to sale, I have tried to...

Anyone Know What the Waiting Period For selling a home prior to bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me what the waiting period is for selling a home prior to filing bankruptcy in the state of texas/ Chapter 13 or Chapter 7? Please any help is appreciated.

Other than honorable discharge [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently in the military, and I've been diagnosed with a personality disorder, they are chaptering me out because of this, but my packet is at JAG, and it's been kicked back twice already. I'm getting really impatient and me and my wife really need to go back home. We are currently in germany,...

View more questions Search