Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley_rachelle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 10:14 PM
    What are a boyfriend/girlfriend's duties in a relationship?
    So about a month ago I started an exclusive relationship with this special guy. He's really great and all, and I like him a lot, but he seems to be confused on what his duties are as a boyfriend. Such as: Should he seem me more than his friends? How often should he hang out with me? Should he be the one to call?
    All of this has me confused on what I'm suppose to do too.
    See I think that when 2 people are in a relationship they are the most important person. That they should want to see each other more than their other friends. But not I'm all confused. Maybe he just doesn't like me that much?

What do you guys think?:confused:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 10:40 PM
    There are no rules except be honest and have fun. Duties?? Nobody will go along with duties! Date and get to know each other and have fun, duties are for those who join the army, not dating.
    ashley_rachelle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Um... that doesn't help me very much...
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2006, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley_rachelle
    Such as: Should he seem me more than his friends?
    It varies.

But he should spend time with his friends as well as spending time with you.

How often should he hang out with me?
    Again, there is no set answer.

He should hang with you as much as he wants to. Also how much his parents let him.

Should he be the one to call?
    No.

He should call you some of the time, but other times YOU should call him.

See I think that when 2 people are in a relationship they are the most important person. That they should want to see each other more than their other friends.
    That is not true.

GF's come and go, so to make a GF the MOST important person in your life would be a huge mistake.

They can rank up there, yes, but for the most part, do not deserve the #1 ranking.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 11:05 PM
    Two people usually sit down and work out a plan that works for them. There are no rules. You must be new at the dating thing.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 09:15 AM
    In this matter I think your own opinions are the most important. Adopt the attitudes that you're most comfortable with. If your boyfriend disagrees, that could be a cue that you need to re-evaluate the relationship. But I think it's important for you to stick to your guns and seek out relationships with people who believe in a compatible manner.
    richsaha2007 Posts: 53, Reputation: 6

Dec 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
    There are no specific duties a male and female must perform. You two should just talk to each other and discuss each others expectations. This would allow both of you to reveal what you guys are expecting from each other. If you two disagree on something, you guys can figure out a solution that can benefit both of you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 09:31 AM
    I believe the word "duties" was just a wrong choice of words on her part. There are no duties. In my home my children have "duties" rather than "chores"

However, if it is not the wrong choice of words I can say that honesty, truthfulness, and being trustoworthy, as well as manogamous (sp) are the only duties in a relationship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dealing with my girlfriend's shady past... [ 19 Answers ]

I recently started dating a girl who I really like but I am very bothered by her past. She was raped at 13 and then dated the boy who raped her for 3 years. After that relationship ended (at about age 16) she went on to have sex with 15-20 guys over the next three years and had began using drugs....

I saw my girlfriend's man with another woman tonight [ 13 Answers ]

My new boyfriend called me at work today and told me that he wanted to take me to dinner at this restaurant in Manhattan, New York. I had a hectic day at work and I was looking forward to a romantic dinner with my boyfriend. I was thinking of what to wear for the date, but my co-workers paid me a...

Need help understanding my Ex-Girlfriend's actions [ 7 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend left me a voicemail asking me how I was about a week ago. Then she talked to me early on Valentine's Day but her cousin was on the phone with her and the call was short like 5-10 mintues. Her cousin then called me a few days later with her on HIS phone and the call was short...

Relationship troubles with boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend & I have been together nearly 7 1/2 yrs now. A few months back, a matter happened, actually petty in nature. Anyhow, right when that happened, he will not tell me he loves me, and is quite distant, except still wanting intimacy. A couple years ago, he gave me an engagement ring at...

View more questions Search