Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    felfre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Supervisor violated hippa rights
    I had an intermittent FMLA case opened with my employer. My supervisor called my Dr's office told them that she worked for the disability department (which she does not, disablity is outsourced with another company) and was in need of my medical records to complete my case however,I don't have a disability case open. She also advised that they could fax them direct and gave them a public fax number where anyone could have retrieved my records. Because I signed a consent to have my records disclosed to the disability department if they needed them, the office faxed my records. Once she received the records, she called my case manager in HR and told him that my case should be denied and he did just that. Would this be considered a violatin of my HIPAA Rights and other employment laws?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 01:23 PM
    Since your supervisor is not your caregiver she did not commit a violation of HIPAA. However, she did commit an act of fraud by posing as an employee of the disability department.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2010, 01:53 PM

HIPAA involves your medical care providers giving out info without permission. They did not exercise appropriate caution by verifying the info, but they didn't really violate. However, you have a case against the supervisor for fraudulently obtaining your records.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPPA Violation by Supervisor [ 4 Answers ]

I am a home care nurse and recently returned to work after recovering from an injury. My first assignment required me to lift and carry a patient outside the home for which I would not be covered as it is against policy. I refused and my supervisor told the patient's mother that I would not do it...

I know my supervisor breaks HIPPA.. What do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a small medical office and when I started working here I noticed there were no shred boxes. We were told to just throw them in the trash.. Well my supervisor has us throw EVERYTHING in the trash that is just thrown out in a dumpster. It has all of the patients info from, name, DOB,...

I violated hippa by having father in clients home will I loose my stna [ 16 Answers ]

I ran out of gas I called my father to bring me some at my clients house for home health care, he cut his finger looking for something in his trunk, passed out and ems came checked him out and told him to go sit down, will I loose my certification for this?

Did my supervisor Violate my HIPPA rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nurse at a healthcare facility and I sought the care of one of our social workers/counclers. My supervisor later questioned her as to the nature of my visit and why I was going over to speak with her on my breaks and lunches. She did not tell him but suggested that he was violating Hippa...

Were my HIPPA rights violated? [ 37 Answers ]

I revoked my consent for my medical records and my son's medical records to be released to anyone other than myself. The provider released them to a third party who in turn released them in error to someone else. They cannot fix the mistake now, they will not apologize in writing... what if any...

View more questions Search