Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BenK Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Wiring a gas fireplace
    Hello,

I just bought a Montigo L38DF gas fireplace with the optional fan kit. The wiring diagram is very unclear as to how to install this unit. Here's my interpretation: The diagram shows 120v coming into a 120v/24v transformer (and also into an outlet box where the fan kit plugs in to). The transformer then has three low voltage wires coming from it to the millivolt gas valve. One of the wires passes through a wall switch first. Does this make sense? Also, the kit did not come with the transformer. Is it typical to have to buy that separately?

Thanks!

Ben
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 04:06 AM
    You're right, the instructions suck for all those fireplaces.

Typically you just have to feed the duplex receptacle inside the unit with 120v. The fan, remote control unit, etc, just plug in. The fan should have a heat sensor that turns it on and off. There should also be a variable speed control for the fan.

The gas valve is usually controlled by it's own milli-volt source. Maybe your unit requires a 24v feed to work?

Sep 27, 2008, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Maybe your unit requires a 24v feed to work?
    OK, I just looked at the instructions, this is exactly how yours works.

You can run a two-wire thermostat wire up to a wall switch to control the flame.
    Most folks now just use an optional remote control so they don't need a wall switch.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 05:06 AM

OK, where did my posts go?

Sep 27, 2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks Stanfortyman, I'm going to try to tackle it today. I think my confusion stems from the fact that the transformer wasn't included in the kit. WE'll see how it goes...

KeepItSimpleStupid: I posted this question under another topic (which I realized afterward was a no-no) and I think your post may be there. Very informative, although I think I'll 'keep it simple' by just having the on-off wall switch. Rather than the t-stat set up.

Sep 27, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I have done these with a remote control that is also a thermostat.
    VERY easy way to go.

Sep 27, 2008, 07:48 PM
    I have done these with a remote control that is also a thermostat.
    VERY easy way to go.
    I just read through the instructions again and found a little blurb in an obscure spot that states " this gas valve generates its own power via a millivolt circuit and can be connected to a wall switch. Do not connect line voltage to the gas valve." Well this leads me to believe that a transformer (as shown in the vague wiring diagram) is not actually necessary, and that the gas valve can wire directly to a wall switch via low voltage wire that will turn the fire place off and on. Does this sound right to you?

Thanks again,

Ben
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Sep 27, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    OK, where did my posts go?
    LOL!

Maybe they deleted them!

Sep 27, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    I just read through the instructions again and found a little blurb in an obscure spot that states " this gas valve generates its own power via a millivolt circuit and can be connected to a wall switch. Do not connect line voltage to the gas valve." Well this leads me to believe that a transformer (as shown in the vague wiring diagram) is not actually necessary, and that the gas valve can wire directly to a wall switch via low voltage wire that will turn the fire place off and on. Does this sound right to you?

Thanks again,

Ben
    Certainly does. You just described pretty much every one I have ever seen.
    kensarg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Certainly does. You just described pretty much every one I have ever seen.
    STAN, Could you please explain how to wire the low voltage wire through a switch. Do you just use a typical wall switch?? What type of low voltage wire is it?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 10:34 AM

Ken:

Describe what kind of system that you have and what your planning to do. Some have thermostats and others use the millivolt pilot generator thing.

Some options include a battery powered millivolt stat or a switch for either the primary or secondary of the 24 VAC transformer.

Switching the millivolt signal does require premium electrical contact material for reliable operation.

We need to know what you have:
    1) 24 VAC system
    2) 700 mV system
    3) type of thermostat

What you want to do:
    1. Simple on/off control
    2. temperature control
    3. Special requirements (e.g. sensor placement)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas fireplace fan [ 1 Answers ]

How do I repair a gas fireplace fan that becomes warped and therefore noisy during operation after reaching very warm temperatures?

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Gas fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas firleplace in my apt, when it is on, it produces the smell of exhaust and faint natural gas. The apt tells me it is the 'unvented' kind and that is normal. I disagree; it should be odorless. What is the underlying problem? Am I at risk?

Gas FirePlace [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with my gas fireplace. I am able to light and maintain a pilot, but when I go to the main flame the gas valve shuts off and I loose both the flame and the pilot. Any possible souggetstions to my problem. Yes, the pilot switch is turned to the main flame selection after a pilot...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

View more questions Search