Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roy022 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights
    I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different lifestyles I returned the balance of his rent, minus the 10 days. He now wants to sue me. What are his rights over mine?:mad:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
    Hello roy:

Well he's a tenant, and he had the right to a 30 day notice - just like you do from your landlord. But, what's done is done. What's he enititled to? Well, you gave him the rent back. He's not entitled to moving expenses. I don't think he has a thing coming. Let him sue.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
    Yes he is a tenant, and you were his landlord, you were in fact subrenting the unit ( I did not see if it was a house or apartment)

And you did not mention if you had a written agreement, if not, then he was under a month to month rental, and as mentioned if you kicked him out, not merely he wanted to "move on" then you would have had to give him a 30 day notice.

What is he asking for if he is to "sue" you, the rest of his rent back ? A deposit he paid ?

If he has the money to hire an attoreny, they may come up with something he could sue for, who knows, or he can just sue even if he knows he will loose, hoping you would not show up in court or something, or just to bother you.

So I guess what he is asking for that he would sue for?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 28, 2006, 03:01 PM
    There is a lot missing here like whether there was a written agreement, whether your lease permits sublets or roomates, whether he paid monthly ot weekly ot what. But the most important piece was WHY did he move. Did you tell him to get out? Did he move on his own?

If he moved on his own, then he has nothing to sue for. You returned the balance of what he paid which was fair of you. If, however, you told him to get out, then he might have a case for recovering any expenses he incurred from having to vacate quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant rights during foreclosure (virginia) [ 11 Answers ]

I'm renting a house in virginia that I just found out is being foreclosed upon. The landlord won't answer his phone or emails inquiring about the foreclosure. There is an auction for the house on nov. 8. and the winner has to close on the house in 15 days. I want to know what my rights are? ...

Tenant Abandoned Home in VA... My Rights? [ 7 Answers ]

Tenant has abandoned my rental home in VA. I have given her notice by mail, posting on home, and registered mail of eviction. She still has all her things in the home and is not staying there at all. Can I move her things to the road? I am the daughter of the owner. Can I move into the home...

Landlord as Roommate - Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I have a house that I decided I needed to share by renting a room in the house. I had a roommate move in as the "Tenant" in my home and requested that they sign a lease for a 6 month lease. After three months, I have decided that this is not a compatible living situation. He has insulted or imposed...

Alabama Tenant Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living on some property for the past two years that has a main house set up for two tenants and a detached garage apartment. I live in the garage apartment. Only one of the two rentals in the house is occupied. The landowner and I never signed a lease or contract. The landowner told me...

View more questions Search