Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fish56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Nissan Frontier crankshaft position sensor replacement?
    Hello All,
    First time here, hope someone can help me, and I look forward to assisting others in the future.
    I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier with a 3.3L V-6, automatic transmission. Recently, it has a problem. The truck starts fine, idles and runs OK for the first 10 minutes, but after that it wants to stall and bucks badly. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and the spark plug wires, but it did not help.
    I was able to borrow a code scanner and found that it has a P1336 fault code, relating to the crankshaft sensor. What I've been able to find about replacing this, makes its seem too difficult for the average backyard mechanic, but I'd like to try. I was told it's at the rear of the engine where the trans bell housing meets it, but I cannot see it and trying to feel for it, I don't know if I'm in the right area.
    Can anyone here direct me to a procedure for this repair? I'm hoping I don't have to remove any other components to get to the sensor.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    ... one last thought, does this seems possible that the truck would run well cold but have this issue after warmup, and be caused by the sensor? Would seem it should have it anytime if the sensor were the problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2009, 11:47 AM

I'm not familiar with your truck, but Crankshaft Position Sensors are usually located off to one side of the crankshaft pulley, attached to the engine block with one bolt. Look at the enlarged picture of the sensor at AutoZone.com and see if that helps you locate it.
    james3gt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2010, 03:10 PM
    Its easy. On the tranny closest to the motor on drivers side. At the top you will see it one bolt and plug should not take more than five minutes.
    edgargil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
    I have the same problem with nissan frontier the scanner said it's the camshaft position sensor is that in the same spot?
    jewels1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Did you get a response to the camshaft position sensor question? I believe I need one. I don't know where to buy one.
    jewels1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Where can I buy a camshaft position sensor for my 2000 nissan frontier?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Jewels1969, buy a BWD Camshaft Position Sensor, with a Lifetime Warranty, from Advance Auto Parts.
    Raul romo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2013, 03:11 PM
    I just did a quick video on how to replace the crankshaft position sensor on a 2000 nissan frontier auto, v6 3.3L. It's on you. It's not a 5 minute job at all. It is easy if you can get to the one bolt that holds sensor in there, but its so tight and you basically have to work with one hand and a 10mm combination wrench to remove. Some have brass plate that makes it harder to get to bolt. Mine did. But I didn't reinstall the plate. Was much easier to install.
    Raul romo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul romo View Post
    I just did a quick video on how to replace the crankshaft position sensor on a 2000 nissan frontier auto, v6 3.3L. It's on YouTube . It's not a 5 minute job at all. It is easy if you can get to the one bolt that holds sensor in there, but its so tight and you basically have to work with one hand and a 10mm combination wrench to remove. Some have brass plate that makes it harder to get to bolt. Mine did. But I didn't reinstall the plate. Was much easier to install.
    . Just look up how to replace crankshaft position sensor on a 2000 nissan frontier. And it should come up. Hope it helps you out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nissan frontier rear differential? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2000, Nissan, Frontier, XE, 2WD, pickup. I let a friend use my truck while I was deployed overseas; when I got back I noticed a clicking/popping sound in the rear end when I would slowly turn into parking spots. It gradually got worse, starting to whine when I would let off the gas on the...

2001 Nissan Frontier Overheating [ 6 Answers ]

My truck was overheating about six months ago. I ended up replacing the water pump, thermostat and radiator. Well it worked. The other day I was driving and the bottom hose coming from the radiator popped off causing it to overheat. I towed it home and put it back on filled it with water and...

2000 Nissan Frontier (V6 3.3L) with Knocking Sensor Code Displayed [ 3 Answers ]

We have had a knocking sensor code triggered on our Frontier on Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1. We replaced all 4 oxygen sensors (Bank 1 Sensor 1, Bank 2 Sensor 1, Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2) and the knocking sensor code has been triggered once again. I have put in Denso sensors and...

'03 Nissan Frontier Misfire [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2003 Nissan Frontier w/ 4cyl. Auto. The engine shudders under light acceleration at low rpm. If I press the pedal on down or let off completely it seems to smooth out. I am getting a code for " cylinder # 1 misfire". I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor with no noticeable improvement. My...

View more questions Search