Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdaltonsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Hot water heater on a double 20 amp breaker and is arcing. What causes this
    I replaced a hot water heater which was already wired to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker. Recently the main started tripping, so I replaced the main breaker (100 amp). Now the water heater is buzzing and has some sparks in the back of the breaker. It is a mobile home (1991 redman) and has a white westinghouse breaker box. I have replaced the breaker also a few months ago, it is a big breaker with 30 amps on each end and 20 amp in the middle. I don't know came that way. The breaker is turned off for now, but we will need hot water tomorrow. Any ideas??
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 4, 2010, 05:07 AM

Honestly, unless you are experienced with this work I would call someone out immediately.
    It sounds like you need a new panel, unless a savvy electrician can find an interior for yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Hot Tub and using a 50 Amp Double Pole GFCI Circiut Breaker [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I keep getting the GFCI breaker tripping after wiring my hot tub. I wired 2 hot Red and Black to the proper terminals and the White to the neutral and the Bare Copper to the ground Post at the tub. I am using 6-3 w/G per instructions. Could the GFCI breaker be bad? When I wire...

How do I wire the hot water heater to breaker [ 14 Answers ]

My husband is out of town and the electric hot water heater stopped functioning... the breaker at the main breaker box was tripping... I replaced the breaker at the main box... it still tripped... the hot water heater also has a breaker that connects to the main breaker box... I had to replace the...

30 Amp Double Pole Breaker is hot and tripping [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just got a Maytag Neptune Dryer a week ago. I have it plugged in to our old dryer outlet (which was replaced less than a year ago) which is 3 prong. The dryer voltage is 240 volts and I am running it on a 30 amp double pole breaker. The problem is, this is new electrical wiring and a...

Hot water heater circuit breaker [ 11 Answers ]

I had the same problem with my state select water heater. After replacing both upper and lower elements I found that it was the upper thermostat. My problem is this: The new thermostat has a slightly different configuration than my old one. This is all Home Depot and Lowe's carried. My...

Hot Water Heater Blowing breaker [ 1 Answers ]

My 4 month old hot water heater decided to stop working. I went to check it out and found that it had blown the breaker because water had apparently leaked into the wires on the top of the heater and hence blew the breaker. My question is this- Is the hot water heater shot or is it fixable.

View more questions Search