Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thewhisper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2010, 12:04 PM
    I need help with alcohol addiction
    Hello,
    1st post, I'm trying to get help to get my life back together. I was diagnosed as a child with ADHD and given Ritalin at a very young age. Was given the drug into my teens and sequentially taken off. I was fine till I turned into my 20's where I started social drinking and smoking. Things in my life made my 30's very hard and I began to self medicate. Now in my 40's I've lost control. Thus, why I'm reaching out for help. Is! I need help and soon ! I need to detox, get medicine for ADHD( I can't emphasize this enough, I do know now that alcohol makes it worse ) and help sleeping. The anxiety may be from the alcohol withdraw. I don't use any other drugs. I have gotten myself off every other drug I've ever used. I believe I need some long term help also as well , if I'm going to ask for help I do not want to let down the people trying to help me. I've lost my job last year due to company downsizing. I have no insurance and I'm broke. The state will refer me to a detox center but after that I need to get into a restructuring program in Georgia. Would it be wrong to seek a sponsor to help me pay for such a program? If not, where would I find one?
    Thanks for any help and may God bless.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 01:43 PM

Answering only your question - you would find a sponsor through a Church or not-for-profit specifically formed to assist people in similar situations.

No, it's not "wrong" to seek a sponsor.

The detox center has no sources of info for you?

Jun 2, 2010, 02:05 PM

I haven't gone yet to detox. I'm waiting form my cousin to return from vacation this weekend. They will have to take me. How would I reach out to a church? In other words what should I say? My other cousin attends a very helpful church and I could maybe try there. I'm just not sure what to do. I need to be in a residential treatment center I know this.
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 02:14 PM

I would say what you've said here - you want to change, you're willing to work toward changing, you need assistance.

You express yourself very well. You shouldn't have a problem. If you don't feel you can wait, then I'd start making calls now.

Jun 2, 2010, 02:31 PM

Thank you , I believe something is out there for me. I just have to get it right the first time. I already feel bad enough for getting myself in this position. I also don't want to feel worse for being a failure at recovery. I have already made some calls. I wish I'd done it sooner.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 04:14 PM
    Hi, thewhisper!

As you've written what you have here, are you still drinking?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2010, 04:28 PM

It's not where you've been that counts. It's where you're going.

Let us know how things work out for you.
    fuzznuttski Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Jun 20, 2010, 07:48 PM

You've recognized some strong issues & want help. That's the single hardest thing anyone does when starting recovery. Attending some AA meetings can be helpful, even just to talk or listen, for some sound suggestions. Many people in recovery are dual diagnosed (substance use disorder & mental illness). I sponsor one & know several others. Don't feel that you'll let anyone down. We all failed at living life on life's terms. That's why we we're there to help each other back up.

I know this post is a few weeks old but I hope you're still w/ us & can let us know how you are doing. We care.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2010, 08:14 PM

The AA, if it is at a church or the local Y or at a community center is what you want to get into, their people who help has been there, know how you feel and will help the most.

Just "church" people may or may not be the help you need, many mean well, but are not trained, some have the same problems they are hiding, and others will try.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2010, 10:45 PM
    Hi again, thewhisper!

I do hope that you continue to share here! There are a number of us on the site who have had addictions, been in treatment and are in a variety of types of recovery programs.

We would love to share with you and support you in your efforts at recovery!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol Addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a cure for an alcoholic

Alcohol addiction and depression [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter in law had an alcoholic Mother and now has become an alcoholic herself. She has always been a gentle, caring, considerate person although at times a little odd but we loved her for it. Now the drink problem is quite out of hand and she is being totally, verbally abusive to my son and...

Alcohol Addiction [ 7 Answers ]

If I Drank 4 Little Bottles That Are 50ml Each Between 1200pm And 1230pm Will It Show Up In A Urine Test At 730pm

Addiction to alcohol [ 6 Answers ]

Is my partner an alcoholic when he is drinking 6,7,or 8 big bottles of beer every second night the amount depending on whether he has a vomit in between. After the first 4 he becomes argumentative and I end up sleeping in the spare room. Next morning he says what did I do wrong. I think he needs...

Addiction to gambling and alcohol [ 8 Answers ]

My uncle who I love very much and have a great relationship with has a very bad addiction. He is addicted to gambling and alcohol. He does both everyday of the week. He makes a hefty amount of money every pay check and then blows it. I don't know what to do anymore. He is so miserable and that...

View more questions Search