Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zwirzs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 09:21 AM
    My 2003 ford explorer tail lights will not go off when I turn off the truck
    My 2003 ford explorer's tail lights stay on when I turn the truck off. How do I fix this problem?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Just the tail lamps?
    The Central Security Module houses a park lamp relay that may have failed.
    That module is difficult to access: it is in the rear, behind the trim panel behind the RR seat. If you can access that and unplug it, the light should go off. If they do, replace it.
    I hope this helps.
    zwirzs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Just the tail lamps?
    The Central Security Module houses a park lamp relay that may have failed.
    That module is difficult to access: it is in the rear, behind the trim panel behind the RR seat. If you can access that and unplug it, the light should go off. If they do, replace it.
    I hope this helps.
    All 3 lights including the middle one. If you touch the brake the right way, it will go off but, it will go back on and staywith a slight touch of the brake. Is this the brake light fuse or this module ? If it's the module, would you give me a better idea of where it's located in my 2003 Eddie B explorer. Thanks
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Are we talking tail lamps or brake lamps? Big difference...
    If it's the brake lights staying on, try spraying the brake light switch (mounted above the brake bedal) with lube like WD-40 and working the switch a bit. Don't use too much and avoid getting any on the pedal itself.
    If lubing that switch doesn't work, you will likely need to replace it.
    mimat2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Comment on CaptainRich's post
    Your info is great... it works, thanks a million
    papkoan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Did you ever report it to the NHTSA? This is a safety issue that Ford is/was aware of when the discontinued the brake light switch and replaced it with a conversion kit to a safe part.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 1, 2010, 06:07 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned that a switch, even a brake light switch, was necessary.
    That is an electrical/mechanical switch, subject to a very large number of mechanical cycles during it's lifetime.
    The brake light switch is probably the busiest switch that there is on a car!
    Could there be a better design? Perhaps...
    Want to make yourself a millionaire? Come up with that better design.
    BTW: this is a very old question.
    papkoan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Yeah I know it was old, but when my lights started acting funny and staying on even with my keys in my hand I started to research it I saw this and figured I would ask. Ford did recall the part, but only for the Taurus and Sable because those are the only cars that NHTSA called them out on. I am fine with replacing the switch with a new one, but they have a rule that they will make the part available for 8 years and there part guys admit it was replaced due to a fault in the old switch and it is the same switch as the Taurus and the Sable. I shouldn't have to pay for a diagnostic and the labor to get it correctly fixed if they knew it was a bad part
    garincher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Thank you captainrich that wd40 works lights out thanks again
    MisterB49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Just had the same problem and the WD40 solution worked a treat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Ford Explorer [ 1 Answers ]

How to replace a stop light switch on 2003 Ford Explorer?

Ford explorer 2003 downshifting problem [ 6 Answers ]

Have a problem with the downshifting.when the rpm drop there's a roaring sound. This happen on the highway. When ever it drops from 65 mph to 50 mph.:confused:

Chevy truck tail lights [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 88 chevy full size truck. I am having electrical difficulties. When I brake, the light display for my heater dims. When I turn on my headlights, my tailights don't come on, and the turnsignals will come on and stay lit when I turn the signal. There are four wires going to the tail...

Left Rear Tail Lights on '83 GMC Truck [ 3 Answers ]

The left rear lights on my 1983 GMC truck do not work, but the front directional does. I have checked the fuses and all are OK. The front directional will flash fast for awhile and then slow. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dodge truck dash lights 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: My 2003 Dodge 2500 now has 3 lights out on the front dash. I ordered some bulbs from the parts department then tried to figure out how to find and replace them. Has anyone been able to replace these bulbs? Thanks Jon

View more questions Search