Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutra Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Toilet leaking from first level into the basement
    I have a 1/2 bath on my first level and my basement is unfinished. Whenever the toilet in the 1/2 bath is flushed, the water leaks into the basement. From the basement, I can see the black sewage pipe that directly comes out of the toilet above, and when the toilet is flushed, water just comes from the sides of the black pipe on to my HVAC system! See attached picture #1 of the leaking black pipe as seen from the basement. The wood around it is all wet. Attached picture #2 is of the toilet and the tiled floor.

Note that there is no leakage/spill on the tiled floor of the 1/2 bath when the toilet is flushed. Also, the water gushes through into the basement only when the toilet is flushed; not otherwise.

Can you tell me what's wrong? Is this a job for a handy man or a plumber... reason I ask is that I have this standard coverage from Old Republic Home Warranty so I might be covered if I go with a plumber.

Leaking black pipe and wet wood as seen from the basement:

Toilet and the tiled floor:

Thanks,
    K
    juryan26 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2010, 03:56 PM

My first thought is that your toilet may only need a new wax seal. But if your insurance policy covers a plumber to come in a take a look that's what I would do. If not try a new seal. They only cost $1 or $2. Good luck
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 05:36 PM

Jury nailed it. Replace wax ring Use the one that has a rubber flapper inside. Will help steer water into pipe.

Chuck

May 29, 2010, 05:48 PM

Thanks jury and creahands. One question: You saw picture #1 of the black pipe and the surrounding wood. Do I need to do anything to treat the wood? It looks pretty bad and I'm afraid it might lead to mold, etc.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 10:34 PM

After problem is fixed, u will have to wait for area to dry before treating for mold. Use fan to speed up drying.

Treat area with a 20% solution of bleach/water, then paint with mold resistant paint/primer.

Chuck
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 29, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Hello Kutra,
    Looking at your photos, I see "wet" 1/4 round moulding along side baseboard. (?) - and I can see some "water marks" (?) on the back of the bowl. That tells me that the leak could be from leaking angle stop, leaking water supply connector or the tank itself. Water drips on the floor and travels under the bowl - then down to the ceiling. Please, check those listed items for leaks, too...

Best way to check for leaks: take toilet paper and gently wipe the areas in question. If no leak than paper should remain dry...

Of course, leaking wax ring still remains the most possible cause of the leak...

May 30, 2010, 08:04 PM

Regarding the cleanup of the mold... I live in Iowa and in 2008 we had a huge flood. During that time I learned that bleach and water will not kill mold. But if the area gets dry before mold grows you should not have a problem. If mold does grow, let the wood dry and then vacuum off mold with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter. Treating with the bleach will not hurt but just thought I would share what I learned from FEMA after cleaning out my house from the flood that put 8 feet of water in my house.

May 30, 2010, 08:06 PM

Also I cannot remember what you use to treat it. I know you should be able to buy it at a local hardware store and is actually something you use to treat termites. The active ingrediant in that kills the mold.

May 31, 2010, 05:27 AM

Milo Dolezal: Thanks for your post. The toilet itself is dry... the picture looks deceptive because of the stainless steel can next to it and the porcelain finish. Even the floor remains dry.

So I am going to try what you and everyone else suggested: Replace the wax ring. Never done this before, but watched a gazillion videos on this in the last two days! :-)

Three questions I have before I buy the wax ring with a flapper:
    1. Is it true that if the flange is flush with or lower than the tiled floor, I must use two wax rings?
    2. I saw videos/instructions that recommended putting the wax ring on the toilet and than positioning the toilet over the flange while others recommended putting the wax ring on the flange and then positioing the toilet over it. What's the preferred way?
    3. Do I need to caulk the joint where the toilet meets the tiled floor or use a sealant? If yes, what caulk/sealant do you recommend?

Please advise.

K
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2010, 06:01 AM

If flange is flush with top of tile one wax ring seal is enough.

If flange is below top of tile, get flange extensions to raise to top of tile.

Caulking toilet to tile is for clean look and not to seal in water. If water get under toilet will rot sub floor.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 31, 2010, 06:55 AM

1. Is it true that if the flange is flush with or lower than the tiled floor, I must use two wax rings?
    No! One wax ring is enough.
    2. I saw videos/instructions that recommended putting the wax ring on the toilet and than positioning the toilet over the flange while others recommended putting the wax ring on the flange and then positioing the toilet over it. What's the preferred way?
    It's "dealers choice"! I have installed them both ways but here's the recommended way, (see image)
    3. Do I need to caulk the joint where the toilet meets the tiled floor or use a sealant? If yes, what caulk/sealant do you recommend?
    We caulk our bowls with Dap, White Tub and Tile Caulk to seal the bowl to the floor and to give your installation a professional look.
    Good luck, Tom

Jun 1, 2010, 05:33 AM

Thanks everyone. I replaced the wax ring yesterday. The flange was a wee-bit higher than the tiled floor, so no fancy-schmancy extensions required. So far, water hasn't been leaking into the basement after a flush, and I am checking after every flush! :-)

Now, the next job is to tackle the potential mold growth.

Regards,
    K
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2010, 07:18 AM

Now, the next job is to tackle the potential mold growth.
    Scrub the area down with full strength bleach and thanks for the update. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I installed a new toilet in my basement and water level is low, and... [ 14 Answers ]

I am adding a 1/2 bath in my basement. My setup is as follows: I had a 4inch PVC sticking out of the floor, where I hooked up a toilet. Located right behind the 4inch drain was a 2" vent/drain? I wet vented the sink to this 2"line by making a horizontal connection (with 1/4 inch drop...

Toilet leaking into basement [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a problem with my toilet leaking into the basement(it runs down the side of the pipe). It does not leak onto the floor at all, just the underside of the floor. I have replaced the wax rings before(not on this toilet yet) What I am finding in this house is the bathroom was done just...

Cracked toilet bowl & low water level in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, So I've got two questions regarding two toilets and would appreciate any and all help as I can't afford someone to come in at this point to fix it for me. 1. I managed to drop a crystal (decoration) ball into the toilet which cracked the bowl so a chunk of the porcelain just fell...

New toilet at basement level (Ultra mega hard 2009 edition) [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully that got your attention, thanks for doing a great job, been lurking and getting some goof info for a while :) Here is the story, nearly 50 year old house, both toilets and drains are at the middle of the house, wife wants a 2nd bathroom for our usage, as the basement is rented out. You...

Toilet leaking into basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my toilet leaking from my toilet into my basement. I replaced the wax ring, and noticed that the 2 mounting bolts were very loose. The floor is very wet. What is the direction I should go in? Any help would be very helpful

View more questions Search