Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Irwin Stuart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Hunter fan 3 pull switch
    Hello:
    I have removed the well tec E116997 switch as the chain broke off in the housing. I have
    Replaced the chain but can't get the right combination of positioning to get the pull sequence. I can buy a 3 pull light switch but don't know if that would be safe.There is a
    Capacitor in the circuit for the 3 speeds. I have googled the above switch mfg and cant
    Locate. I think if I could locate well tec for a switch I would be O.K.
    Can you give me any suggestions.
    Irwin
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
    This isn't an answer to your question but it may be of help. When you remove the switch take a close look at where the chain connects. Sometimes you can remove the last remaining brass ball and install a new piece of chain without buying a switch.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
    The easiest thing is to call Hunter and get them to send you the correct switch.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Handsome Brad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
    I'm replacing my switch now... it broke. Here is the sequencing for the wires
    L - Black
    1 - Gray
    2 - Brown
    3 - Green

Hope this helps. I did find a place on line that sells the switches, but they're about $15. Let me know if you want the web address and I can reply.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2007, 05:04 PM
    If above colors are not what you have, and not yet fixed.
    Let us know what colors you have.
    Are you saying original switch is good, just need to reconnect wires?
    ajayjt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Brad
    I'm replacing my switch now...it broke. Here is the sequencing for the wires
    L - Black
    1 - Gray
    2 - Brown
    3 - Green

Hope this helps. I did find a place on line that sells the switches, but they're about $15. Let me know if you want the web address and I can reply.

Can I know the address where this switch is available?
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
    It depends on the make of the fan. But for manufacturers that are no longer in business:

CeilingFanParts.com Home
    Techret Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Just received 4 fan switches direct from Hunter Fans. New Switches are "ZING EAR"-
    ZE268S6. $3.00 each + $5.00 shipping. They work flawlessly. I have 3 older Hunter fans, all three are different models, but use the same switch. They are wired L=black 1=grey, 2= brown, 3=green
    The connections are:#1/ Off=no connections.
    #2/ high = L to#1
    #3/ med=L to #2 &#3
    #4/ low=L to #3

Previous experience with Home Depot switches, even though they looked exactely the same as the originals, even had the same number (JIN YOU E70489) was that they would not work properly because the enternals were connected different than the original switches. A call to Hunter confirmed the problem with the Home Depot switches. The folks at Hunter were great to deal with.
    Hope this helps. Dave
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Hunter is known for good customer service. $3 is a great deal.
    khans52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Hunter is known for good customer service. $3 is a great deal.
    All, I just had the same dilemna with the Home Depot switch: looks very close to Hunter switch, but when wired appropriately, my 3 speeds and "off" are:
    -Click 1: Fan on High
    -Click 2: Fan on High
    -Click 3: Fan on High
    -Click 4: Fan on Medium
    Looks like I'm going to be calling Hunter next. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Hunter should be able to send you the correct switch.
    russellt00 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    This isn't an answer to your question but it may be of help. When you remove the switch take a close look at where the chain connects. Sometimes you can remove the last remaining brass ball and install a new piece of chain without buying a switch.
    Does anyone know how to "remove the last remaining brass ball and install a new piece of chain"? My pull chain broke off inside the switch. I have my fan motor housing open and I have identified the Well Tec switch... but I can't figure out how to get the remaining brass balls (I think there are 2-3) out, and get the pull chain back in, to start using the switch again. All ideas appreciated!

Russ
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 04:42 AM

russellt00, If is held together by plastic clips, you may be able to dissemble and remove little piece of chain left, and install new chain,
    A little tricky, If not, switch will need to be replaced.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 08:56 PM

I find it easier to replace the whole switch, once you open it it will USUALLY come loose again.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 06:31 AM

If it is coming loose then a swith would be a good soultion, if the chain is breaking, then a new chain can fix. As hard as getting the spring in correctly, I still find it easier than locating the correct one.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 06:42 AM

Took some searching, couldn't find on above listed link, did find this:
    Ozark Ceiling fan parts & accessories
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 08:26 PM

Strat you do realize that two switches can have the same # but still be different contacts?
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 05:17 AM

I do know fan switches to be one of the biggest pains. That's why, if the chain broke and switch can be dissembled, I choose to add a new chain, than look for a new switch.
    Thanks
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 03:24 PM

I understand your point. I just haven't had good luck with it.
    Wishboner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 09:31 AM
    Decided to give Hunter customer service and I'm glad I did. For $11.99 (including shipping) they sent me a replacement switch. Apparently all Hunter fans use the same switch now as the one they sent me is different from the original (over 20 years old). They sent me a Zing Ear, model ZE-26856. I did have to call them back for replacement instructions cause the original switch had connections for two black wire in the "L" position and the new switch only accommodated one black wire. I then noticed that there really was only one black wire which had been split into two wires and each had it's own "L" position on the old switch. I simply removed the wire nut holding the two black wires being split off the main single black wire and removed one of the black wires. The pattern for hooking up the wires is just as I have seen many other places on the internet... L=black, 1=gray, 2=brown, and 3= green. It was a ten minute job to replace and saved me the cost of having to buy a brand new fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Celing fan pull switch [ 8 Answers ]

I have a stacked switch that will hold 8 wires there were 2 black 1 grey 1green and 1 purple. Some one replaced it and got it wired wrong the fan stayed on low and the switch would not effect it. I took and old single layer switch from another fan touched the black to each wire to find the speeds...

Hunter ceiling fan switch nightmare [ 10 Answers ]

The chain on my Hunter ceiling fan broke and I bought a replacement. I must have not connected the wires correctly, because I have only 2 speeds. The wire colors are black, brown, grey and purple. I assume that black goes to the L position on the switch. What about the others? Help!! Thanks,...

Hunter Ceiling Fan On/Off Pull String Out of socket [ 2 Answers ]

The pull string for the on/off switch pulled out of the socket. Can the pull string be put back into the socket?

Hunter fan switch ---won't stop [ 1 Answers ]

Just replaced a hunter 3 way fan switch. Swear I matched up the wires correctly. The light works properly off a second pull chain, and the wall switch cuts power to both fan and light. The fan definitely operates on 3 speeds, BUT... the off position on the pull chain, doesn't stop the fan...

HELP! Wiring a pull chain in a Hunter ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, my 81 year old mother's ceiling fan pull chain broke off inside the switch. I was careful when I changed the switches, only changing one color at a time. It didn't work, so I called my electrician brother-in-law who discombooberated the whole mess, told me the switch I got was bad and went on...

View more questions Search