Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttyson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
    How to file for child abandonment in the state of Georgia.
    I move to Ga. About 5yrs ago. I have a NJ child support order. The other parent lives in Ca. I haven't received child support in over 6 months going on 7 months. My case worker here in Ga. Reached out to the state of Ca and was told CA will not enforce my case if the other parent is unemployed to no fault of his own; they have suspended his DL and will wait until he contacts them about the suspension. My case worker here in Ga mentions the child abandonment law but didn't tell me how to file. I would like to know if I can file and how do I go about filing. He's also in the arrears well over sixteen thousand dollars. What a dead beat! Our child is in college and our NJ order state that he has to support the child until the child is finish with school. How does this law work with the daddy being in another state? One last question, how can a person fight for another country and don’t take care of business at home. So sad.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 28, 2010, 08:46 AM

Talk further with your case worker but it does not sound like abandonment to me. He may be inviolation of the court order but you need to talk to NJ about that.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttyson View Post
    I move to Ga. about 5yrs ago. I have a NJ child support order. The other parent lives in Ca. I haven't received child support in over 6 months going on 7 months. My case worker here in Ga. reached out to the state of Ca and was told CA will not enforce my case if the other parent is unemployed to no fault of his own; they have suspended his DL and will wait until he contacts them about the suspension. My case worker here in Ga mentions the child abandonment law but didn't tell me how to file. I would like to know if I can file and how do I go about filing. He's also in the arrears well over sixteen thousand dollars. What a dead beat! Our child is in college and our NJ order state that he has to support the child until the child is finish with school. How does this law work with the daddy being in another state? One last question, how can a person fight for another country and don’t take care of business at home. So sad.

This is a legal question, not a question about how to raise children, and I have requested that it be moved to the legal forum.

Here is info on child abandoment - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-364259.html. I have no idea why a case worker would suggest an abandonment "case" with you. I would ask him/her.

If he is in violation of a Court Order you take him back to Court to get it enforced. You would have to contact the Court in NJ and ask that the matter be transferred to GA so you could file there. You may need to make a formal application to the Court. Of course, if GA is already involved in the child support issue it may have already been transferred and GA may already have jurisdiction. You will have to ask.

It sounds to me like he doesn't have the ability to pay and so the Courts will do nothing - but you don't know until you try.

I don't understand the "fight for another country and not take care of business at home" part. Is he in the military? If so, I don't understand why he's unemployed - ?
    ttyson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Yes, he's in military. Not sure what he does. He has not had a relationship with the child now for many years. Ca. wants me to give information about him that I don't have. I tell them all the time I know just as much as you do. I have no connection at all with the daddy. I only receive support when he's deployed and when he's not it stops. NJ closed my case when I moved to Ga. Because both parties are in different states but says the order stays the same because it was opened in the state. I think she said that because at one point she saw he had the funds in his account to pay the past due and current support and was not paying. A lien was placed on the acct but was removed because Ga. Was not the enforcing state but the enforcing state did nothing. I don't know who to turn to about my case. Georgia says they are the middle man, Ca. (which is his state) won't enforce and the state of NJ closed my case. How else can I get help? He's been in violation off and on for 19 yrs mostly off. Thank you for your reply.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2010, 09:38 AM

First, GA is one of the few states that calls it child abandonment when a parent doesn't provide support for their children. What it boils down to is child support and enforcement of it.

You need to get the case transferred to GA so that can enforce the support order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Abandonment in Georgia [ 8 Answers ]

What papers can a layman file, and what county do you file in? The father has not paid child support for 60+ days. He lives in Georgia, but in a differen t county than where the mother and child live.

Georgia Child Abandonment Laws [ 6 Answers ]

My childerns father has not seen or spoke with them in over 2 years.I have a court order for child support and he is as of last week 17,000 behind,plus interest.I was told that I could recive a child abanbonment warrant on him... not sure what the requirements on that are.It sure seems to me that...

Child abandonment laws in Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

I have a quick question. My husband and I separated last year. Due to him acting like a clown and becoming violent he was arrested and evicted by the law. When we went to court, our attorneys (at the time) thought it'd be in his best interest to agree to a "stay away" agreement instead of a...

How can I file for abandonment in Georgia? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an open case with GA Child Support Enforcement since 09/11/09. The father and I were together for 9 years. We were together at the time of their births and he signed their birth certificates, now after his appointment with the local child support office, he decides he wants paternity tests...

When can you file for abandonment in Georgia? [ 3 Answers ]

I have had an open case with ocss for over a year and nothing has happened. We know where he works, makes good money. He is $60K + in the rears, I mean what's a girl got to do?

View more questions Search