Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlamonaca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 04:48 AM
    Grounding black iron pipe for outdoor grill
    I installed black iron pipe for an outdoor grill. The pipe is Teed off from my heater which is in my garage. The pipe is double valved protected. One valve is coming off the Tee, the other valve is through the garage wall to the outside connected to a quick disconnect. Does there need to be a ground connected in case of lightning strikes?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 26, 2010, 05:02 AM

Never heard of grounding a gas pipe. I assume that you are talking about a black iron gas pipe.

The ground wire to the cold water pipe is a secondary ground for your electrical system. It is not to ground the pipe. This is done in hopes it will provide some protection under certain conditions in case there is lighting strike down the line. It doesn't do any good if your house is struck by lightening.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 26, 2010, 05:27 AM
    Hi all:

If you are using a TRAC PIPE, or similar corrogated gas piping system then yes, in most areas, the pipe needs to be grounded... usually by a licensed electrician... ;)

Otherwise, if black iron pipe, no need to ground the pipe!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PVC to black drain cast iron pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I would like to know what kind of adapters or other required parts are needed to connect my existing P trap under my sink to the existing cast iron drain pipe. Thanks, Bill

Why is black iron pipe 21 feet [ 1 Answers ]

At work we were having a discission about black iron pipe. The question no one can answer "Why is it made in 21 foot length?" Thanks for your input.

Grounding an outdoor outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, and happy new year by the way ! I am new here and electricity is not my domain ! I am however very careful when playing with it ( turning power off always :-) and always worried about having it done the right and safe way. here is my problem. Located in the USA. I wanted to installed a...

Copper L pipe to black iron pipe [ 19 Answers ]

Hello This is a natural gas application. Can flexible L copper pipe be coupled to black iron pipe and then buried? I will paint and wrap the black pipe before burial. Thanks Ruko

Speedball1 - looking for used black iron pipe in Sarasota [ 6 Answers ]

Hello Speedball1, I ran into your posts here on AskMe by Google searching "iron pipe Sarasota" and I wonder if you might know where I can buy, beg or steal 3" black iron or galvanized pipe near Sarasota, used or otherwise. I am looking for a foot or two of threaded 3" AND 2" iron pipe for...

View more questions Search