Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fordchrissy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Repair concrete floor breaking apart
    Our concrete garage slab is chipping and breaking away at the edge where it meets the aggregate driveway, exposing rocks and gravel now. Our home is not even 4yrs old. How can we fix this problem and what would cause it. I think the driveway has sunk a bit, it seems slightly lower than the garage pad. Would this cause the problem, or do you think it was poured incorreclty in the first place. Any help would be great! Thanks.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

May 23, 2010, 02:49 PM

Putting in a permanent driveway should solve the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2010, 03:13 PM

Is there a slab apron on this garage? Is it the apron or the actual slab that is deteriorating?

May 23, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Is there a slab apron on this garage? Is it the apron or the actual slab that is deteriorating?
    It is the part of the slab that is outside the overhead gargage door, not sure if that is what you would call an apron?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2010, 06:59 PM

An apron would be sloping away from doors for water run off.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2010, 07:50 PM

Does sound like an apron, should drain slightly away from the garage. The lack of a solid drive in front of the apron puts additional stress on the leading lip. Your aggregate can actually act like coarse sand paper. You can patch the lip with http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/Project...ngConcrete.pdf but unless you add a solid drive surface it will probably continue to chip. Is the chipping more in line with where your tires line up?

May 25, 2010, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Does sound like an apron, should drain slightly away from the garage. The lack of a solid drive in front of the apron puts additional stress on the leading lip. Your aggregate can actually act like coarse sand paper. You can patch the lip with http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/Project...ngConcrete.pdf but unless you add a solid drive surface it will probably continue to chip. Is the chipping more in line with where your tires line up??
    It does seem to be chipping more where the tires line up coming out of the gargae. Thanks for your answers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete shower floor repair (cracked, leaking & painted) [ 1 Answers ]

I am updating my rough basement bathroom. I have two very young children, a boy and a girl and funds are very limited especially around this time of year. (My daughter is only nine-months and I am already thinking about the bathroom issues between her and my son). The shower has a painted concrete...

Basement Concrete Floor repair(shower well) [ 8 Answers ]

hello friends , I have a 2ft w x 2ft w x 8 in deep square hole in my basement floor which was left from the home construction so a Standup shower stall could be added later. It was originally open to the dirt under the slab. It has a 1-1/2 drain pipe coming in from the side. I poured some sacrete...

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

Concrete garage floor breaking up [ 1 Answers ]

My concrete garage floor is at least 40 years old. The garage is unheated, cinderblock construction. The concrete floor is worn down and breakup up on the outside 2 foot perimeter of the floor. The entire floor is 13'9" x 22'10". What would be the best method to repair this floor to make it one...

View more questions Search