Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wmhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
    How do you replace rotted exterior door frame
    We have an exterior back door , the door ia in excellent shape but the frame ,brick molding and stop is rotted out on the lower 10" of each piece what can we do ? Can we just replace that part if so would it be too weak? We are planning to put a storm door and noticed this problem we want to correct it before we put a storm door on. Thank you.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
    You can replace the base of the brick molding, you will have to buy an entire piece,I suggest not the finger jointed type, as they are the ones that normally go bad in the first place(water gets between the joinery and things just go bad from there)

The stop can be purchased separately also, make a clean joint and you'll be fine,, remember to prime and paint these.

The new storm door will protect the new wood well enough.. but be sure the frame itself isn't rotted, if it is,replacing the wood frame needs done also!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2010, 01:38 AM

Should replace frame unit completely. When buying new unit get it with weather stripping to keep drafts down. Door stop should be routed out of jamb, not nailed on. This is for security reasons.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace the rotting exterior door frame [ 1 Answers ]

Need to replace a rotting exterior door frame. The door is on a three season room door that is attached to the house. How do I reconstruct or replace this door frame? What steps do I need to take to ensure that there will not be moisture or rotting problems anymore. Please help.

Exterior door In brick- Can I reduce wood frame thickness [ 1 Answers ]

I Have an exterior door leading into my basement. It is in a cinderblock foundation. The door frame is built out of 2x can I rip it out and replace it with 1x pt to mount a new pre hung door? Thanks in advance.

How do you replace a exterior door frame? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you replace a exterior doorframe?

Repairing exterior door frame only [ 1 Answers ]

We had a customer use force to try and open a locked exterior door and broke the frame. The maintenance man did not know how to fix this and took a section of the frame off to repair, and now cannot get it put back together.

View more questions Search