Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jefjet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Trucking Jobs for Felons
    I need to know if there are any trucking companies that will hire a felon? (I have my CDL with all endorsements except HazMat. Recently graduated from an 18 week Truck Driving School)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Try the smaller trucking companys.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Various ones, as noted the smaller ones, look for local companies, even some of the dump truck companies. Check out some truck stops, they normally have 100's of companies that are hiring with adds posted.
    xrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Try them all. One of them hired me, but I'd like to be discreet. I will say this though: Honesty goes a loooong, long way, so be honest! Most have a safety review board, plus it depends on the crime. If you ran a mafia racket and peddled from a stolen rig then I'd highly doubt it, be if it was something minor several years ago then you might be cool. Good luck!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
    A rule of thumb is that the company likes to hire someone after 3 years has passed from he time you were sentenced. Some of the bigger companies will hire you after the 3 years so don't discount them. Also when you go to truck stops get the trucking magazines as they are a great source for employment info. You might also look in the Careerbuilders.com site and search for companies advertising for drivers in your area also.

By the way, most companies won't touch you without having at least 6 months on the road actual experience either due to their company insurance carrier. I would suggest looking at your bigger companies as they have what they call trainer/trainee programs having a trainer who will actually go out with you for up to 2 weeks to train you. Truck driving school is great, but actually being out there on the road is a whole different planet, believe me.

If you are an OTR driver for about 6 months to a year then you can easily ease yourself into a local job having had the experience they seek. Be sure to get all the endorsements you can also as this will come in handy to you down the road when you are sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for a load and the only load they have requires say a hazmat endorsement to haul it.
    brown7477 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Carolina Cargo
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:11 AM
    You have posted this same site 9 times while explaining that you get paid for "on line services."

These posts should be pulled as they serve no one's interest but your own.
    brown7477 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You have posted this same site 9 times while explaining that you get paid for "on line services."

These posts should be pulled as they serve no one's interest but your own.
    Who are you referring to?I am not trying to solicit any business just posted a company url that I know of that will hire someone with a checkered past.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brown7477
    who are you referring to?I am not trying to solicit any business just posted a company url that i know of that will hire someone with a checkered past.

I wasn't referring to you - the post I was referring to was pulled.

If you take a closer look you will see that MY post was 6 hours before YOUR post so, no, I couldn't be referring to you.
    truckerjim7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Hey there, go to Truck Driving Jobs | Trucking Jobs | Owner Operator | Local Truck Driving Jobs and look for the area you live in and there are very small companies that will take felons. Sometimes depending on the type of felony though. I myself have "felon" hurt myself and am trying to get into a company... the only thing going for me is that I have 3 years over the road experience and you just got your CDL, I truly hope that you find a trucking job for yourself... dont give up no matter what!
    And remember in ten years you can apply for a pardon... mind you now I am not an attorney or anything ,this is just what I know... good luck!
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by truckerjim7
    Hey there, go to Truck Driving Jobs | Trucking Jobs | Owner Operator | Local Truck Driving Jobs and look for the area you live in and there are very small companies that will take felons. sometimes depending on the type of felony though. I myself have "felon" hurt myself and am trying to get into a company...the only thing going for me is that I have 3 years over the road experience and you just got your CDL, I truly hope that you find a trucking job for yourself...dont give up no matter what!
    and remember in ten years you can apply for a pardon...mind you now I am not an attorney or anything ,this is just what I know.....good luck!

In many States you cannot a pardon for a felony.
    Caveman704 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 09:07 PM
    HI

Im a felon, And I have worked for JB, Western Express, Warner Ent, Trans Am, LCT, CR England, Butt DO CR ENGLAND! Very bad choice!!

Western Express Is the best job that I had.. Kevin N.C.
    jeastwood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 10:16 PM
    I just got my cdl and I have a 5 year old felony for forgery do any one know a otr truck driving company that will give me a chance to work as a truck driver.

{Mod note: E-mail address removed-<>}
    antonio42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 03:41 PM

I have a cdl class A, haz-mat,tanker,doubles and triples ,&passenger endorsement. My felony is 7yrs old. I am still having trouble finding a job. Plus I have 8 yrs o.t.r. experience, can someone please help me or point me in the right direction.
    chaiku Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 09:31 AM
    I'm not a felon at least not yet. But I have some pending charges against me that could hurt me in the future
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaiku View Post
    im not a felon at least not yet. but i have some pending charges against me that could hurt me in the future

What is your question?
    bigwheeldriver30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 08:05 AM
    Try Schneider National, The Trasnsportation Firm, National Carriers, Link America, and Swift. That`s just to name a few
    bigwheeldriver30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 08:09 AM

Try companies like, Schneider National, The Transportation Firm, National Carriers, Link America, Swift, and Werner. Check those copmanies out, they will hire you if your driving and dac record is OK. They would look past that criminal .
    gata4u2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 09:08 PM
    Carolina cargo is a good place to start. But if you have 3 months or more otr there are a lot of companies that will consider you try Indian River, Lct, western express,us express, swift, most big companies will consider you after 10 years but a lot of the big companies have a no drug policy. Get a year or so under your belt and new doors will open guys. For any femails it is even harder but it can be done.im proof!

Things to know
    Driving a truck is a lot of hard work mostly bs though dealing with it I mean
    Most otr companies tell you you'll get home every week but few will get you there
    If you have a long socia calender and events you want to be at this is not the job
    Don't waist your money on driving school

Things to make sure of
    If you're a rookie just out of school get into a training program the longer the better
    Make sure you have a qualifide trainer in the jump seat.(3 years or more)
    Make sure you find out before ou leave the yard
    When you get in that truck listen to you trainer
    The things you learned in driving school helped you pass your test if he is half a trainer he will teach you how to stay alive .
    Make sure he lets you back every time you can
    Drive the grades (let him coach you through it) you can go down a grade too slow 1000 times but to fast only once
    If you are lucky get some winter driving in while in training but if not try to team with a vet your first winter
    Learn to chain your truck even if you never intend to use it it might save your tail one day.

All states have pardons for felons because it is done on a federal level. A pardon can be submitted to a govener in some states but can be submited to the president in all.
    If you are a floridian you can exponge 1 feloney in a life time and seal another except sex offenders

Also in Florida if you are encarcerated for a year and a day or longer you must file to get your rights re-enstated. This can be costly but there is a program that will do it for free. ACLU.

SORRY ITS SO LONG
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2010, 06:17 AM

This is a 2007 post - the person who asked the question has not been back.

No one else will see your answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jobs for released felons [ 14 Answers ]

I want to know if there is money available for a start up company to match felons recently released with employers who are willing to employ them... they cannot get jobs, particularly after 911

Know any Trucking Companies that hire felons? [ 14 Answers ]

I keep hearing there are truck driving jibs for ex-cons but where are they?

What Good Jobs can felons get? [ 16 Answers ]

I already have a degree, however I am unable to use because of my felony conviction. Dose any body have a list of jobs that I can do , may possible be able to do. Thank you.

Trucking Business [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to buy a semi truck and start my own business, but I don't know what I need to do to get started. Can you help?

View more questions Search