Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcrippin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 08:34 PM
    Can I give my dog benadryl for sleep
    My 15 year old dog wakes up frequently at night, doesn't want to eat or go out to potty, just whines and barks till I am up, can I give him benadryl to sleep?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2010, 08:37 PM
    No. Call your vet for advice on what to do.

If your dog is in pain, it might be time to say goodbye.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 19, 2010, 10:55 PM

There are some natural relaxers out there, but I would never advise you to give them until you spoke with your vet. Valerian root is one, and there are some great natural recipes for sleep aids for your dog. But again, it sounds like your dog is trying to tell you something , and only a Vet can tell you what is wrong.

Bendedryl may not help him sleep unless he was suffering from an allergy, but once your vet checks him, they may give you the okay to give him an Aspirin if he is in pain. It is crucial to get vet clearance before giving any human meds. Dogs with heart issues should never take Aspirin.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 08:30 AM

15 is an old dog... he may be telling you something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I give 100mg of benadryl to my 90lb dog at 9a.m. And 1 Zyrtec at 4pm daily? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I give my 90lb retriever 100mg of benadryl once a day and 1 zyrtec 8hrs later?

Is Benadryl OK to give to dogs? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriends mom gives our dog and her dog Benadryl 2x a day and 2 pills eachtime... for a total of 4 pills a DAY!! Is that healthy? Will it cause our dogs to get sick? I'm very worried about our dogs!

MY dog won't sleep! [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 18 month old dog. The past few weeks he has decided he doesn't want to sleep through the night. We are staying at the in-laws at the moment and so he has been sleeping in the bedroom in his own bed. For some reason now he won't sleep through the night and he either wants to get on the bed...

View more questions Search