Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gioiatracy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 12:59 AM
    California inheritance NO WILL
    My cousin passed away with no will. He had no wife,no kids, and no siblings. Ca. attorney sent a letter stating that since there was no will... the estate is split 50... 50 to his mother and father. Both are deceased and died prior to my cousins death. The father's portion goes to our family. The mother's portion goes to the state of California since there are no family members found from her side. These parents were divorced decades prior to their deaths. I'm confused. Can you please tell me where that is written in the law books?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2010, 04:09 AM

This is covered by Probate Code Section 6402.5

California Probate Code Section 6402.5 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws

Paragraph 3 is what you are looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance in California [ 9 Answers ]

I am divorced and remarried to a woman who owns a home. Likewise I also own a home too. If either of us die without a will, who inherits the house of the surviving spouse. She has two kids and I have two kids with my first wife. I want my wife to inherit the home and if she dies after I...

California Inheritance Law [ 10 Answers ]

Hello: I have a question about California inheritance law. While my brother and I were both minors, my father (a widower) married a woman with two children. My father told me in his wife's presence that upon the death of both of them, the estate was to be split equally among the four children. ...

Tax on Inheritance in California [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have to pay taxes on my inheritance in California?

California Inheritance Law [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is entitled to a portion of her Grandfather's estate by virtue of her mother's death. The estate is divided as follows: 50% to a natural daughter, 25% to a stepdaughter, 12.5% to my wife's sister and 12.5% to my wife. Aside from real estate, the bulk of the remainder of the estate is made...

California inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

My father died in 2000, and his wife (my step-mother) died this year, she has no descendents(children). There is property left that they jointly owned. My father's brother and my step-mother's brother have taken control of the estate. Don't I have a right to my father's estate? To his and his...

View more questions Search