Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    capecodder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2005, 12:40 AM
    Best Way to market a Hair Salon
    I really need help with my Hair Salon. I am located in a shopping center and I purchased a business that originally was a barber shop then a unisex salon. I would like to change this image and make it a hair design salon. I have had the salon for three years and have kept the same name that the original owner used. What would be the best way to promote my salon and attract new customers and hair stylists?
    uniqueproblemsolver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2005, 09:08 PM
    Promoting Your Salon
    Here's a few ideas:

* Print Flyers that look like certificates and pass out to the highend business around the shopping mall to give to their customers (ex: $5 off or 50% off color to new customers)

* When charity/non-profit groups ask you for a donation. Offer them free certificates but ask them to actively give exposure to your salon. Ex: Ad or logo in their marketing materials or program, see if they'll pass out your flyers at their event, mention your salon at the event. By giving ten $10 gift certificates -- will be generous since it's worth $100 but you have the opportunity to bring in ten new customers, get excellent exposure and generate good will

* A little obnoxious but effective -- offer any local models (or modeling agency) 50-100% off your services. It should be excellent word of mouth and generate new/upscale clientele

* Send press releases to local newspapers and magazines. Ex: 10 steps to beautiful hair by you and your salon. If you don't have the time to write it -- find a journalism student and offer he or she free haircuts if they'll submit press releases

* Network and pass out your flyers/information to local Art Gallery owners, Sushi restaurant owners, Pilates/Spinning/Yoga/Aerobic instructors
    capecodder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2005, 08:48 PM
    Hair Salon Market Advice
    Thank you for several very good suggestions. They are all worth trying. What are your thoughts on purchasing address lists and doing a mailing?
    uniqueproblemsolver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 08:28 PM
    Mailing lists
    I would recommend calling a local direct mail company.

Here's a couple of options:

Option A: Direct Mail a postcard or letter & envelope to all households within a 1 mile radius or pick the closest zipcode. Ask them about saturation mailing -- this way your postage is very inexpensive. (make sure to give a very aggressive offer to first time customers) -- mail standard class.

Option B: Ask for the following list: Consumer Compiled List within a 2 mile radius-- with Household Income of $50,000+, Female, Ages 25-55 (you can pick your age range and any demographics you want) --- the list and postage will cost you a little more (but it's more targeted)

Good Luck
    Uniqueproblemsolver
    hovis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 11:50 AM
    Hair salon
    Most areas have newspaper deliveries. You could try asking newsagents if they would include one of your flyers in the newspaper. You pay the delivery person a little extra, but you are targeting your customer area more effectively
    cutup_6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 09:22 PM
    I have a question about my salon. I live in a small town , there is a hair salon on every corner it seems. Ive been doing hair for twenty-five years in the same town. We recently re-located our salon from a mall area to our older downtown area. We meaning myself and three other stylists are having a rough time getting our clients to follow and bring in new ones. We have been handing out fliers and ads on local radio and even cold calling. Help please we feel like we are failing some how..
    fashin01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Have you thought about a website? That will give you a lot of exposure, esp these days!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2009, 02:50 AM
    For those who continue to post questions on this thread...

Please realize that this thread is very old and now archived. So, it's not generally visible unless someone happens to visit this forum topic area.

Also, this place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. If you have a separate question that's not in some way an answer to the original question that's at the very top of the page, please start a new thread with your question.

Thanks!
    gaylebar1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
    INTERNET Advertising is key! Website with pictures of the salon, a menu of services and contact info... brought up to page one on Google... also, We use a unique website to make a little money off our "list of clients" while offering them a FREE and valuable tool that will save them money. You will always be in front of your clients and it is a perfect spot to advertise specials and coupons... as well as say monthly drawings for free services or products... contact me to find out more
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gaylebar1 View Post
    INTERNET Advertising is key!! Website with pictures of the salon, a menu of services and contact info... brought up to page one on Google... also, We use a unique website to make a little money off of our "list of clients" while offering them a FREE and valuable tool that will save them money. You will always be in front of your clients and it is a perfect spot to advertise specials and coupons... as well as say monthly drawings for free services or products... contact me to find out more
    Hi, gaylebar1!

This thread is over five years old and is now archived, so not generally visible anymore.

Also, this isn't the kind of site where people can advertise or solicit for off-site contact.

Thanks!
    gaylebar1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 04:54 AM
    Thanks I realized that after I sent it... I actually am a part time stylist and had helpful, free information... but 5 years ago, I am sure she figured it out :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Contract for renting a room in salon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I wonder if anyone can help, I am a self employed beautician who at the moment rents a room and has profit share in a local beauty salon. My problem is this... At this time I pay a rent of £25.00 per week to the salon owner plus I give her 55% of all moneys I take. This is what I and...

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

Clients needed for new salon [ 8 Answers ]

How do I get more clients into my new salon

Is It A Buyer's Market or Seller's Market.. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello group, would someone please explain to me what determines a "buyer's market" and a "seller's market"? We always hear the "news" of the housing boom busting and now we hear more homeowner's are putting their houses on the market than there are new homes being built, but what does that mean?...

Salon politics [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a very small salon and there are 4 other women in the salon besides me and my boss. I have always thought that we were all like a big family and today I called to see how many clients I had for tomarrow and one of the women there informed me that my boss (my friend) had a heart atack and...

View more questions Search