Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HarvM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 08:32 PM
    Taco zone valve frozen
    One of my three zone valves is stuck open such that the furnace and circulator operate continuously. I try to remove the zone valve head but it does not budge --either clockwise or counterclockwise. How can I romove the head? Harv
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 08:36 PM
    That's not your problem. A stuck zone valve doesn't control the boiler. It's more likely a thermostat problem. Have you tried disconnecting the wires from the zone valve?

May 17, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
    Thats not your problem. A stuck zone valve doesn't control the boiler. It's more likely a thermostat problem. Have you tried disconnecting the wires from the zone valve?
    Thank you for your reply.
    My question was how can I remove the head from the zone valve which is stuck tight to the valve such that I am unable to turn it. It should come off with a slight counter-clockwise twist. I should have mentioned that the zone valve is a Taco 573.

As for the valve being stuck open, I only mentioned that in case that should have anything to do with my not being able to remove the head.
    I need to remove the head in order to determine if the cause of the stuck valve is the head or the valve itself.

The valve head does control the burner and circulator when the valve is in the open position. The problem is not the thermostat which is disconnected from the valve head. The thing that controls the burner and circulator is a switch in the valve head. That switch closed when the thermostat calls for heat. An ohmmeter check across the switch terminals on the head verify that the switch is closed indicating that the valve is open ---- which is also verified as a result of the burner and circulator running continuously, supplying hot water to that zone, with no voltage applied to the head.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
    OK.
    I checked the Taco website, for your valve. Does it have a lever for manual operation?
    I'm thinking that you can't take the head off when it's open. I installed one several years ago, but I don't remember the specifics.

May 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
    OK.
    I checked the Taco website, for your valve. Does it have a lever for manual operation?
    I'm thinking that you can't take the head off when it's open. I installed one several years ago, but I don't remember the specifics.
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    The Zone Valve does have a lever. The lever opens the valve. The lever can be pulled down easily, indicating that the valve is already open. It is my understanding that if it pulls hard, it is opening the valve. At least in my case, when the lever is pulled back up, it does not close the valve. I think this, among other things, may indicate that the problem is a bad spring in the valve itself.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 09:46 PM
    I suggest you call or email TACO with the problem. I do know the valves are installer friendly and they can be rebuilt unless some catastrophic failure has happened to the vave assembly. Good luck and please let me know what you find out.

May 18, 2010, 12:06 PM

I will try to contact Taco as you suggested.

It does make sense that the head should not be allowed to be removed when the valve is open. You may wind up with a face full of hot water. I will try to find out if they are designed that way.

May 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
    I suggest you call or email TACO with the problem. I do know the valves are installer friendly and they can be rebuilt unless some catastrophic failure has happened to the vave assembly. Good luck and please let me know what you find out.
    I did contact Taco. Someone phoned me and we discussed the problem in detail. The result of the conversation was ----
    There is nothing to prevent the head from being removed when the valve is open. (However, it should not be removed when the valve is hot.)
    He does not know why the head cannot be removed. He suspects the tabs on the head are frozen to the valve. Anyway, when I told him the valve was 47 years old, he was surprised. He said they should be replaced in 10 to 20 years. He said, without question, the valve assemble (head and valve) should be replaced. Somewhere on their web site is a good detailed explanation of how the valve works. The use of hot wax to control the piston is amazing. Harv
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 04:37 PM
    HarvM. It's not often that a consumer will take the time to do the leg work you did to solve a problem. Good for you. I'm sure if you approach every situation this way you won't have any repair issues.
    Good luck to you.

May 28, 2010, 06:36 PM
    HarvM. It's not often that a consumer will take the time to do the leg work you did to solve a problem. Good for you. I'm sure if you approach every situation this way you won't have any repair issues.
    Good luck to you.
    Thanks. Harv

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a weil-mclain boiler. The zone valve opens but no heat in zone. What do I do? [ 1 Answers ]

Have replaced the zone valve actuator, but it doesn't seem to be fixing the problem. What else can I do?

Taco zone valves [ 1 Answers ]

Will a taco zone valve head 555-050rp work with 555-102 unit?

Zone valve problem [ 5 Answers ]

Zone valve for upstairs will not open. Already replaced thermostat. The only time I have heat upstairs is when the valve in manually opened and the downstairs heat kicks on. Any help or advice would be great! Thank you.

Wiring old taco zone valves 555-102 to furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I have a two zone system of water base boards hooked up to an oil furnace (or is it a boiler?). I had it serviced a month ago and I just realized that the wiring on the two zones, which are controlled by taco 555-102 zone valves, was reversed so that the wrong thermostat controlled the wrong...

Zone valve [ 1 Answers ]

Got a white rogers zone valve spinning and not stopping ,has my end switch burned out .

View more questions Search