Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbrunye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2010, 02:30 PM
    Wiring 240v wall heater to a 3-prong dryer outlet?
    Hello -

I am installing a 240V wall heater in my basement. I want to plug it directly into the existing 3-prong 240V outlet that is used for the dryer. I have run the 10/2 wire (two hot and a ground) from the heater to the outlet, but need some help figuring out how to hook this up.

From what I understand, the 3-prong outlet has two hot lines and a neutral. The heater requires two hot lines and a ground.

So, I was going to run the two hot wires from the outlet directly to the heater. That seems pretty straight-forward. But what do I do about the ground? The heater requires a ground connected to its frame, but I don't think I can simply connect the ground wire to the neutral on the outlet. I might be wrong!

Should I connect the ground wire to the outlet neutral? Connect the neutral to the metal wiring box at the outlet side? Leave off the ground (probably a bad idea!).

Any help would be great!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 08:27 PM
    If the neutral wire is connected to a buss which shares the ground wires, then you are OK. You will have to verify that. And no, you should not leave off the ground wire... it is there for a purpose. Is your heater intended to be plugged in, or is it supposed to be hard wired?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 16, 2010, 09:33 PM

If you have a 3 slot dryer outlet, (cable will be 10/2 with ground) the third slot is a ground, not a neutral.

May 17, 2010, 02:42 AM

MISSOURIBOUND - The heater is supposed to be hard wired, but I don't want to run another 240V line. Basically, the heater will only be plugged into the outlet when we have a guest staying in the finished basement, otherwise the dryer will be plugged in. I have done 10/2 wire from the heater through conduit across the basement to the room with the outlet. There I will connect the 10/2 wire to a 30A 3-prong dryer plug so that we can swap whether the heater or dryer is plugged in, at will.

HKSTROUD - Thank you for your response, I will try to use what I thought was the neutral as a ground and see whether it works.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 17, 2010, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    If you have a 3 slot dryer outlet, (cable will be 10/2 with ground) the third slot is a ground, not a neutral.
    HK, The odd slot in a 3-prong dryer receptacle is a neutral, NOT a ground.

The old code allowed the neutral to serve the purpose of both neutral and ground, not the other way around.

May 17, 2010, 02:51 PM

My house was built in 1987, so I am assuming it's still the old code? That is, the 3-prong dryer receptacle neutral can serve the purpose of both neutral and ground?

Thanks for any confirmation - I'm not sure what would happen if I'm wrong about this, but I would rather prevent testing it!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 17, 2010, 04:28 PM

Oops!! Sorry, don't know what I was thinking. Must have been thinking water heaters. Won't let happen again.

May 17, 2010, 04:37 PM

HKSTROUD - are they interchangeable? Can I use the neutral as a ground?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect 240V 3 prong motor to generator W/ 240 4 prong outlet? [ 6 Answers ]

As summarized, I'd like to run a 240 volt motor with 3 prong twistlock plug off my Generator that has a 240V 4 prong twistlock outlet, Have purchased a 4 prong dryer plug & cord. Not sure what function the extra lead performs, any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks...

Proper wiring for 240V elec wall heater with two 120V supply lines [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older 240V 1000W electric wall heater (no fan, built-in thermostat) which has 2 gray wires for attaching incoming supply. One gray line goes through the thermostat then on to one end of the heating coil itself. The other gray line goes directly to the other end of the heating coil. ...

Changing three prong dryer outlet to four prong outlet [ 3 Answers ]

How do I wire a newer four prong dryer outlet to replace an older three prong outlet?

Wiring a 3 prong plug to a 4 prong outlet [ 15 Answers ]

In my Laundry room I have a 4 prong plug for my dryer. I have a 3 prong plug on my welder. They are both 220 and I have everything I need to make an extension cord in cluding wire, plug and receptacle and gang box. I know how to wire the ground but am not sure where to put the black and white...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

View more questions Search