Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kl99ny Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 01:17 PM
    Where can I find a toggle switch for the ceiling fan...
    I have a ceiling fan with lights and it has a dimmer switch. I would like to use fluorscent bulbs because they are more cost efficient compared to regular bulbs. Where can I find a switch where one controls the light and the other controls the fan?

Currently I replaced the regular bulbs with fluorscent bulbs and the light blinks. I was told from a friend it is because of the dimmer switch.

Thank you,
    Karen
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 09:56 AM

What make and model fan, what make and model switch do you currently have?

Ceiling fan remote controls, remote kits, speed controls, dimmer switches and more - at Ceiling Fans 'N More

May 12, 2010, 12:16 PM

I just bought this house about 6 months ago and have no idea what make or model it is.

What was on the wall were 2 knobs on a switch plate. Both of them are dimmers. I switch it to compacted fluorscent light and at times the light blinks until I turn one of the knobs to stop the blinking. Someone told me that was because it was dimmer switch I have and need to change to a on/off switch. Not having any knowledge on electrical stuff, I bought a switch with 2-on/off on a plate (It is called double pole). After I have switch to on/off switch, I got the light to work but not the fan. This is for the dining room.

In the kitchen, there was a switch already for the ceiling fan with lights using 2-on/off switch. One controls the light and the other controls the fan. I pulled out the wiring and I try to mimic it. It didn't work.

I've been trying to look online for more information about wiring thinking I might have done something wrong and I have ask around but not a lot of people know wiring.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 03:54 PM

Send me pictures of the fan and switches.

I am thinking you might have wired the replacement switch wrong, but I want to identify everything first.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2010, 04:24 PM

Do you know that most compact fluorescent bulbs are not to be used with a dimmer? Did you buy bulbs specifically labeled for a dimmer? Please tell us more about the dimmer, is it 3 steps?

May 13, 2010, 08:30 AM

I am going up to the house this weekend and I'll take some pictures of the fan and the light switch. If I can not post the pictures here, could I send it directly to your '[email protected]' account? Thank you for being patient.

Ballengerb1 - I would try to change the switch plate first before buying about 15 compact fluorescent bulbs. I have to 5 ceiling fans to deal with. It would cost me a pretty penny and budget is a little tight at the moment. If the switch plates does not work, then I would have to resort to buying the dimmerable compact fluorescent bulbs... but as the very last resort.

Thank you.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2010, 02:54 PM

My Yahoo is fine.

May 16, 2010, 07:52 AM

I have taken a few pictures. I'll try to load it up.
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 10:47 AM

Did you send me pictures of the fan with the issue, or the fan you were trying to mimic?

May 17, 2010, 11:57 AM

Yes, I have sent the pictures yesterday late morning or early afternoon. It was from the account kw##@sprint.blackberry.net. I believe there were a total of 7 pictures.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 12:09 PM

I need to see the pictures of the fan with the issue, NOT the working fan. I believe the pictures you sent me are from the working switch/fan set.

May 18, 2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks for taking a look at the pictures I have sent you. I will go to the house on Memorial weekend and have a look at the wires again.

I still have the old switch and I'll take a picture of it. The old switch was the dimmer that had soldering on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I find a switch for a 4 blade ceiling fan kte model 308? [ 3 Answers ]

I need a switch for a 4 blade ceiling fan.

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Two switch Ceiling Fan and Ceiling Fan light [ 2 Answers ]

I have two on and off swtich one use to control the ceiling fan and another one use to control ceiling fan light. Handy man changes the ceilng fan light. I wasn't home and wifey paid him without checking what going on Now both the switch either turn off the entire thing or turn on the entire...

Ceiling Fan-One switch, ceiling, 3 white, 3 black, red [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan I am replacing. There is one wall switch. In the ceiling there is 3 black wires connected together, 3 white together and a red. I didn't notice any other wires and evidently, wrongly assumed the red was a ground. I connected the fan black and blue to the ceiling black and...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

View more questions Search