Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Firehawk734 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2010, 04:16 AM
    Cutting into Main Line Cast Iron...
    I will be installing a full bathroom in the basement, and cutting up concrete to install plumbing.

Currently, I have a soil stack directly in the way of where the door to the bathroom will be going. This soil stack goes up to first floor (ranch home) and drains the 1/2 bathroom. The stack continues up through the roof as the vent.

What I plan to do, is cut this entire soil stack out completely. I wish there were a way to hide the stack and just tap into it, but there isn't due to the layout.

The question is coming. It seems that where I cut the stack out, I will need to cut out the connector in the main line and just rejoin the two pieces of horizontal main cast iron line. What can I use to rejoin those to make it one flowing piece of cast iron?

I also need to tap into the line a bit further down, maybe 3-4 feet, to run the drain line to the sink. Is there any worries with cutting two places into the pipe so close?

And, can someone diagram it or walk me through if I install a PVC WYE connector into a cast iron pipe, how should I go about this? I was thinking:

1. Cut about 12" of cast iron pipe section out.
    2. Glue two short pieces of 4" PVC to a 4 x 4 x 2 (drain) WYE so that I end up with 12" from pipe end to pipe end, then use fernco couplings on each side to clamp the PVC on each side to the cast iron. Is this appropriate, and is there any other rubber booting needed here?

Do they make WYEs that are no hub so that you can cut a shorter section out and just apply clamps there or is that against code?

Thanks. I'm a newbie with plumbing and it has me nervous.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 17, 2010, 05:38 AM

You are on the right track. Yes, you can cut Cast Iron as many times as you need. Make sure you use proper support when cutting vertical Cast Iron. Cast Iron is heavy and upper portion will have tendency to drop down by its own weight.

Use shielded Fernco coupling to connect new (ABS/PVC) and old (Cast Iron). There are specific couplings that fit one side PVC and other side C.I.

Yes, they do make ABS / PVC "Y" that has now Hub on one end. It is called "Street Y". In Cast Iron, we don't use fittings with Hub ends anymore. So every fitting you purchase has ends that match diameter of pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2010, 06:12 AM
    Let me add a bit to Milios answer.
    Make sure you use proper support when cutting vertical Cast Iron. Cast Iron is heavy and upper portion will have tendency to drop down by its own weight
    And here's how to support the stack when making a vertical cut, (see image).
    Use shielded Fernco coupling to connect new (ABS/PVC) and old (Cast Iron). There are specific couplings that fit one side PVC and other side C.I.
    And here's what they look like, (see image)
    Do they make WYEs that are no hub so that you can cut a shorter section out and just apply clamps there or is that against code?
    Yes they make cast iron NO-Hub fittings, (see image)
    Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

May 17, 2010, 07:14 AM

That rubber sleeve, are those available at home depot?

Where can I get riser clamps? I was planning to start at the top and work downward, cutting maybe 12" sections at a time and handling it as I went. Is this too risky?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2010, 07:58 AM

What are u using to cut CI?

If u use a saw, u will have to wedge 2nd cut as weight of pipe will bring pipe down and bind blade.

After supporting pipe make first cut at bottom. Make 2nd cut above. This will keep blade from binding.

Chuck

May 17, 2010, 08:42 AM

I have access to a Sawsal with the right blade, but was also thinking to get a ratchet cutter, since that may be easier to control.

I also have a pneumatic cutoff tool that I would much rather use. Would this work for cutting Cast Iron?
    millwright1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Sawzall will work fine but you need to use a abrasive blade sold at home depot regular metal cutting blades don't cut cast worth a darn nor does the abrasive blade cut galv pipe worth a darn any sawzall with under a 1 inch stroke might be a little slow. With the right blade each cut on a 4inch sch40 should take approx 3 min
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 31, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Millwright1 said, "with the right blade each cut on a 4inch sch40 should take approx 3 min"...

Since this thread addresses cutting CAST IRON I had to pop in and make it clear that cutting cast iron pipe, especially 4" (service weight or extra heavy) will take a lot longer using a sawzall than 3 minutes!

Even if you use the newer DIAMOND sawzall blades (made by lennox) you can be sure you'll be there for 10-20 minutes. Just FYI all!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Cutting a cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I have to cut a cast iron pipe and I can not get a pipe cutter to cut it. How can I cut the pipe. What can I use. Any help will be greetfull Thanks cliff

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I need to cut a 4 3/4 OD" cast iron pipe in order to install a plastic T (4") to the cast iron pipe. I am installing a toilet in the basement. The cast iron pipe is in the ground and I have already cut the concrete.

Cutting cast iron [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 inch sewer line of cast iron to cut and join it to ABS. Do not have enough room for chain cutters and have been advised that resiprocating saw may be the answer, but do they make a blade that will cut the cast iron ? Also would a cutting wheel on an angle grinder do the job ? Tks. Dave.

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a project I am working on in the basement and I need to tie 3" plastic into 3" cast iron. I will be renting a ratchet type cast cutter. The cast comes out of the basement floor and goes straight up to serve the first floor bathroom. What I would like to do is cut a section out of the...

View more questions Search