Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khadoura4 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

May 16, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Cost function formula ?
    It costs a book publisher $12 to produce each book,and fixed costs are 1500$.
    a. find the company cost function.

May 16, 2010, 08:45 AM
    for parts (a) and (b) find the derivative of the function and simplify your result.
    For parts (a) and (b) find the derivative of the function and simplify your result.Then find the equation of the tangent line at the given point.
    equation point
    a. y=5x-2/X2+1 (1,3/2)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 16, 2010, 08:50 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/financ...-b-u-font.html
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by khadoura4 View Post
    For parts (a) and (b) find the derivative of the function and simplify your result.Then find the equation of the tangent line at the given point.
    equation point
    a. y=5x-2/X2+1 (1,3/2)
    Is that ?

Use ^ for power, as in x^2. Please use proper grouping symbols. As written it is . I assume you meant the former?

If so, use the quotient rule to find the derivative. Then, plug in x=1 to find the slope, m, at that point.

Then, to find the tangent line, use y=mx+b. Plug in your slope, m, just found and the x and y coordinates given. Solve for b and you're done.

May 16, 2010, 10:36 AM
    Marginal average cost
    It costs a book publishier $12 to produce each book,and fixed costs are 1500$.
    a. find the cost function.
    b. find the average cost function.
    c. find the marginal average cost function.
    d. find the marginal average cost when the company produce 100 books and interrpret your answer. Plesar help me on this thanks u

May 16, 2010, 10:53 AM
    derivative and tangent
    Equation point
    a. y=5x-2 divided by x^2+1 ( 1 , 3 divided by 2 )

b. 3( x^2 + y^2 )^2 (3,1)

thanks u for your help

May 16, 2010, 11:11 AM
    break even points and maximum profit
    year 1955 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2005 2008

life expectancy at birth 39.9 42.9 49.9 58.7 66.5 70.9 75.5 76.1
    ( numbers of years )

a. use the regression utilty on www.wolframalpha.com to find the linear regression line for these points.

b. use your linear equation to predict the life expectancyfor the year 2015.

c. what the derivative of the linear regression line you found in part (a)? Explain what the derivative means within the context of the question.

May 16, 2010, 11:51 AM
    break even points & maximun profit please help me
    A sporting good store finds that if sells x exercise machine per day , it cost will be
    C(x)= 100x + 3200and its price on demand function will be p= -2x + 300 (both in $ )

a. find the store break even points.

b. use the derivative to find the number of sales that will maximize profit, and the maximun profit.

c. go to www.wolframalpha.com and graph the cost and revenue function.label the break-even points and shade the area that represents when the store will make a profit.

thanks u for your helping
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 11:59 AM

See here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...la-471079.html
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 12:04 PM

You can do these in Excel as well. Let 1955 be 0. Then, 1960 will be 5 and so on.

For Wolfram, go here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=regression+
    Enter your data the way they have the example in the top.

If you go to Wolfram all you have to do is type in the data points. It does all the work. Same with Excel.
    In Excel, go to INSERT, CHART.
    Highlight your data and make a graph. Then, add a trendline. That is what Excel calls a regression line. It will display the equation on the graph.

May 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Smoking And eductation please help me
    The probabilty that a smoker will quit smoker increases with smoker's eductational level. The probability ( expressed as a percent ) that a smoker with x years of education will quit is approximately
    y= 0.831x^2 - 18.1x + 137.3 (for 10<= x <=16).

a. find the probabilty that a high school graduate and a college graduate smoker will quit.

b. make a table of values for 10<= x <=16 and list the intervals( using interval notation )
    between 10<= x <=16 in which the rate is increasing and the rate is decreasing.

c. go to www.wolframalpha.com and graph the equation for 10<= x <=16. Label your graph to show ( approximately) the year in which there is no change between the probabilty that a smoker will quit and the years of education.

d. using the derivative and the concepts for the slope of a tangent line to a graph , find the approximate year in which there is no change between the probabilty that a smoker willl quit and the years of education.

May 16, 2010, 12:26 PM
    tangent
    Find the equation of the two lines that pass through the point (5,7) an.d are tangent to the graph of y= x^2 - 2x + 1.

a. the slopes of the lines (L1 and L2).

b. the equations of the lines (L1 and L2) in slope-intercept form.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2010, 01:26 PM

Trying to stop smoking really has little relationship to education as much as social environment, so your idea of it does not factor in number of years smoking, even how much a day they smoke.

So it is not a valid point
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 03:30 PM
    The thing about this problem is we do not know where they are tangent to the parabola.

Using ... [1]

we can make this in terms of x alone and solve. Thus, finding where the two lines are tangent.

Sub all these into [1]:

Solving, we find that x=8 and x=2

These are the x coordinates of where the lines that pass through (5,7) are tangent to the parabola. Use them in m to find the slopes at the points. We find at x=(8,49) the slope is 14. At (2,1), the slope is 2.

Now, using y=mx+b, sub in the derived data:

The lines are

There. Follow that OK? This will show you how to do others if you run across them.

May 17, 2010, 08:27 AM
    hi glactus please help
    hi thanks u for help me but I need also your help I enter the websit but I don't know what amounts that I put it in linear fit I putted can u help than who I can solve the question b and c please step by step thanks u and help me for my old quetsion and also step by step thanks u very much I am waiting your reply

year 1955 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2005 2008

life expectancy at birth 39.9 42.9 49.9 58.7 66.5 70.9 75.5 76.1
    ( numbers of years )

a. use the regression utilty on www.wolframalpha.com to find the linear regression line for these points.

b. use your linear equation to predict the life expectancyfor the year 2015.

c. what the derivative of the linear regression line you found in part (a)? Explain what the derivative means within the context of the question.

May 17, 2010, 08:44 AM
    hi glactus please help me also on this please i need your answer thanks u
    A sporting good store finds that if sells x exercise machine per day , it cost will be
    C(x)= 100x + 3200and its price on demand function will be p= -2x + 300 (both in $ )

a. find the store break even points.

b. use the derivative to find the number of sales that will maximize profit, and the maximun profit.

c. go to www.wolframalpha.com and graph the cost and revenue function.label the break-even points and shade the area that represents when the store will make a profit

May 17, 2010, 08:46 AM
    hi glactus please help me also on this
    Smoking And eductation please help me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The probabilty that a smoker will quit smoker increases with smoker's eductational level. The probability ( expressed as a percent ) that a smoker with x years of education will quit is approximately
    y= 0.831x^2 - 18.1x + 137.3 (for 10<= x <=16).

a. find the probabilty that a high school graduate and a college graduate smoker will quit.

b. make a table of values for 10<= x <=16 and list the intervals( using interval notation )
    between 10<= x <=16 in which the rate is increasing and the rate is decreasing.

c. go to www.wolframalpha.com and graph the equation for 10<= x <=16. Label your graph to show ( approximately) the year in which there is no change between the probabilty that a smoker will quit and the years of education.

d. using the derivative and the concepts for the slope of a tangent line to a graph , find the approximate year in which there is no change between the probabilty that a smoker willl quit and the years of education.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 17, 2010, 08:49 AM

You've posted 9 homework questions in 2 days - what have you been doing all year?

May 17, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Hi glactus please help me also on this
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It costs a book publishier $12 to produce each book,and fixed costs are 1500$.
    a. find the cost function.
    b. find the average cost function.
    c. find the marginal average cost function.
    d. find the marginal average cost when the company produce 100 books and interrpret your answer. Plesar help me on this thanks u

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a linear cost function? [ 7 Answers ]

Help me I don't know what is a cost function and how it is formulated? Can anyone tell me the basics of this function and method of formulating? I will highly appriciate...

Excel formula IF function [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I am creaing a spreadsheet for work. Basically I have a column that shows all the project names, it shows a date and a price for the project. I need this price to then be automatically placed into the appropriate monthly column. I.e if the project is 20,000 and happened on the 21st of jan...

View more questions Search