Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superdeluxe Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Help! Washing Machine backing up into Toilet
    Hello,

I am having some issues with Washing Machine backing up into the Toilet (I Would assume that it is what it is). I am having semi-blue water backing up into the toilet (But never overflowing thankgod)

Also, the toilet gurgles and gulps sometimes.. and then drains away (Toliet bowl is at normal level of water... gurgles/bubbles... then water level goes way down).

I am on a septic, I had it checked and maintained about 7 months ago (It was working fine, the outlet baffle was replaced, and the tank was pumped).

Any ideas of things I can do, before I have to call the septic folks? There is no 'sewer' smell, and no wet/damp spots in the leach field area.

Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 07:41 AM

U have blockage down stream from toilet.

Snake toilet. Use about 15 feet of cable.

If this does not clear problem, u will have to rod waste line from roof. Use enough cable to go about 10 feet past line going out of house.

Good luck

Chuck
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2010, 07:42 AM

... also, you could have your septic tank full.

May 7, 2010, 07:51 AM

Thanks creahands:

Milo: Is that normal? I have a 1,000 gallon septic tank with 2 adults. The tank was pumped about 7 months ago. It was my understanding that a tank should only need to be pumped once every 3 years for 2 people (And we don't use garbage disposal.)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 7, 2010, 08:32 AM

Do you have a basement with a floor drain? If so does it back up? A septic tank can go 5 years+ with 2 people but if the field has failed or the pipe between the house and tank becomes clogged you would still get a back up.
    Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2010, 08:37 AM

Septic tank consists of 2 parts... one for solids and one for liquids. Liquids are absorbed by ground. Tank with solids has to be pumped out once every few years. Problems with septic tanks usually show during rainy season when ground is saturated unable to absorb more liquids. Then, back-ups occur.

May 7, 2010, 08:48 AM

At least in Illinois, septic tanks are slightly more complicated. The tank hold the solids but they decompose from both aerobic bacteria and anaerobic bacteria. Very little solid is left after decomp so pumping every 5-10 years is all that's needed. The field uses both absorbson and evaporation to get rid of the gray water. If you field is in good shape it should function even during heavy rains but don't try to test it by doing 6 loads of laundry. Evap and absorption take time so don't overload the system. Can you answer my questions please from post #5?

May 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Do you have a basement with a floor drain? If so does it back up? A septic tank can go 5 years+ with 2 people but if the field has failed or the pipe between the house and tank becomes clogged you would still get a back up.
    We do not have a basement with a floor drain. Thanks

Is there something we can do to test if the field has failed? I have looked for obvoius signs such as seepage/swampy conditions.. but have not found that.

May 7, 2010, 09:12 AM

It is most likely what Creahans said it post #2 but try filling your bathromm to the brink and then drain it. If this does not cause a backup then you need to rod the drain line downstream of the toilet.

May 7, 2010, 09:16 AM
    It is most likely what Creahans said it post #2 but try filling your bathromm to the brink and then drain it. If this does not cause a backup then you need to rod the drain line downstream of the toilet.
    Fill the bathtub upstairs?

The toilet on the main level is the closest to the septic.. and I assume the closest to the main Drain line.

May 7, 2010, 09:37 AM

If you have a failed septic field or tank it won't matter where the tub is located. However, now that I know a bit more about how your home is plumbed the tub might drain into the same line as your washer and toilet. I'd try it anyway just to see what happens.

May 7, 2010, 11:40 AM

So if I drain my Tub (Should I also do sinks/toliets up stairs?)

If it backs up in the toilet.. then I need to rod out the drainline which is downstream from my toilet.l

What happens if it doesn't back up my toilet..

ErrrI wrote that wrong.. if it doesn't back up.. then I need to rod out the drainline.

If it does backup.. then..

Just fill and drain the tub and come back and tell us what happened. Gotta go in little steps
    Sorry, we were out of town for the weekend.

So I filled up my bathtub, and completely drained, no bubbling/no back up in Downstairs Toilet.

THanks

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Would make me think that this water came from another toilet, one using a bowl sanitizer. Do you have another toilet on an upper level? Where else would you get semi-blue water. I would also suspect that you a blockage or partial blockage in the main stack at or just beyond the point where this toilet connects.
    We are not using bowl sanitizers anywhere. I assume it is from the Washing Machine because A) It bubbled and backed up when the Washing Machine was being used. I assumed that B) The 'blue-hazy' water was coming from Machine.

May 7, 2010, 11:58 AM

Just fill and drain the tub and come back and tell us what happened. Got to go in little steps
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 12:50 PM

Do u have under ground springs in area? This could fill septic reservoir. Remove cover and check to see how much water is in it. If water level is not up to drain pipe u should be fine on that account.

Chuck
    Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2010, 11:19 PM

To do "Percolation Test" , contact local geologist - or perhaps even septic contractor.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 8, 2010, 04:47 AM

semi-blue water
    Would make me think that this water came from another toilet, one using a bowl sanitizer. Do you have another toilet on an upper level? Where else would you get semi-blue water. I would also suspect that you a blockage or partial blockage in the main stack at or just beyond the point where this toilet connects.

May 10, 2010, 04:30 PM

Not sure what happened.. but it put my replies in my last post.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 11, 2010, 05:33 AM

the toilet gurgles and gulps sometimes.. and then drains away
    All the classic symptoms of a blocked vent. The system's attempting to vent through the toilet. The suction is what's pulling the bowl level down.
    The solution would be to snake the lavatory roof vent.
    For your other blockage follow the instructions given by the other experts. But you have two separate problems to address. Good luck, Tom

May 15, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Just fill and drain the tub and come back and tell us what happened. Gotta go in little steps
    Water drained from my upstairs tub.. did not back up into first floor toilet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine drain Backing up [ 15 Answers ]

Another drain backing up! Every time we do laundry the water backsup & out over the drain. The vertical pipe is about 4ft off the floor & drains into its own dry well.. This has been this way for years no changes or additions. This new drainage problem has started I would say in the...

Washing machine drain backing up [ 4 Answers ]

My washing machine drain is backing up. The machine is about 4 or 5 years old and I live in a 57 year old house. Never had a problem until now. I've already had a plummer out that snaked the pipe (1 1/2 inches) 100 feet and he snaked the vent on the roof 100 feet but its still backing up. He...

Washing Machine Backing Up [ 1 Answers ]

I am confused and so are the two plumbers who have been here. I purchased a single story home. My plumbing is hooked up to the city sewer system. When my family moved in we noticed everything drained slowly and after being in the home for a few weeks the shower would back up. We were able to get...

Washing Machine Drain Backing UP [ 5 Answers ]

I am having a serious problem with my washing machine drain. First some background, I live in a 1 year old double-wide manufactured house. The washing machine drain is 1-1/2". The top of the drain is about 4' off the floor. The drain goes down about 28" before the "J" trap, then over about 6"...

View more questions Search