Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PWT07 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Changing Thermostats
    I just moved into a new home and brought my White-Rodgers thermostat with me (Model# 1F78 5/2 Day PRGM).

I am trying to replace the thermostat that was in the house, a Bryant (Model# TSTATBBPB501).

The wiring is a bit different and I don't want to mess anything up so hopefully someone can help me with the wiring. I have attached pictures of the existing wall wiring and my new thermostat hookups.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 05:44 PM

You bought a HP thermostat. Won't work.

On the original stat R isn't labeled and is the red wire. On new stats Rc is connected to Rh. You can call that connection R.

C is optional. It provides power to the stat, so the stat doesn't have to rely on batteries except for power outs.

You need a 1H/1C conventional thermostat. The 1 refers to stages. You had a 2H/2C stat which is usually OK.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 06:17 PM

The bottom pic is your new stat?
    Red to rh
    White to w
    Green to g
    Brown to B? Does b say it is a common on your wiring diagram ?
    Yellow to y

May 14, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    the bottom pic is your new stat?
    Red to rh
    White to w
    Green to g
    brown to B? Does b say it is a common on your wiring diagram ?
    yellow to y
    Yes. The bottom picture is the thermostat I took from my old house. It was hooked up pretty much the way you said.

White went to W
    Red went to RH
    Green went to G
    Yellow went to Y

I did not use B or O in my previous house and looking at the manual for the thermostat it does not say what B or O is used for. This diagram is the only 2 times it shows either B or O being used and it seems to be for a reverse valve.

Here is a link to the manual.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6614.pdf
    Attached Images

Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2010, 06:47 PM

OK then leave the brown wire off. The rest of the wires should be the same. You have gas heat with a ac now?
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 06:53 PM

So, it does work for conventional based on the manual.
    Cap the brown wire.

Rc needs to be connected to Rh, otherwise Cool won't work or the fan won't work in the FAN ON position.

May 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    ok then leave the brown wire off. The rest of the wires should be the same. You have gas heat with a ac now??
    Yes, gas heat and AC in the new house as well as the old. The one that was throwing me was the Brown wire going to C, but if that's common I guess I don't need it like you both said since this unit comes with Batteries and I don't need power to the unit.

Rc is connected to Rh with that red jumper wire so I will just keep that in place just like I had it at my old house.

Thanks for the help KeepItSimpleStupid and Joshdta :D
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 08:57 PM

Glad you got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing out thermostats [ 12 Answers ]

I need to change a lennox 51h4001 thermostat to a vision pro TH8000 thermostat. I need to know where the wires land on which terminals on the new thermostat. If anyone could help it would be very much appreciated.

Changing thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a furnace with a heat pump. My original thermostat is a Honeywell T8411R1002 manual. The new one is a Honeywell T841A1217. The old one has places to hook up 7 wires. The new one has places for 9 wires. The Gray wire is marked as X on the old one. On the new one there is no X for the...

Changing thermostats [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking out a Lennox non-programmable thermostat for a programmable Honeywell Model 7500 programmable thermostat. When I remove the old thermostat there are only 2 wires attached to the device. When I asked honeywell about the wiring they asked if the old thermostat was 24 volts. There is no...

Changing thermostats [ 3 Answers ]

I'am changing to a digital thermostats. The old one is honeywell but the wiring is different form the new honeywell.. old one Lr69071 has 6 wire y=yellow g=green o=ornage r=red w2=white and x=gray y g o r w2 x. The new one has rh rc w y g model# RTH230B. Do I have the right thermostat and...

Changing Thermostats [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a "White Rodgers 1F94-71" with a "Carrier TSTATCCPHP01-B". The wiring on the White Rodgers is: O-Orange, Y1-Yellow, C-Black, G-Green, White jumper wire from Y-1 toW1, Brown jumper from E1 to W2, R-Red. The following are unused spaces:B,Y2,E2,L,&W3. The Carrier has...

View more questions Search