Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 07:54 AM
    How to file an uncontested international divorce?
    Is there anyone out there that knows anything about international divorce? This is the scenario... Couple married outside of US, one is US citizen and other is not. The wife lives in the states and the husband still lives internationally. They have decided to call it quits.. uncontested, basically the long distance relationship wasn't working out. How would they go about filing a quick and easy divorce?

Please advise... Thanks a lot!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
    If the marriage is recognized in the US, they can file where the wife resides. Or they can file where the husband resides. Divorce is a local thing so they need to go to a divorce court local to them.
    calawmom Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2006, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by naia
    Is there anyone out there that knows anything about international divorce?? This is the scenario...Couple married outside of US, one is US citizen and other is not. The wife lives in the states and the husband still lives internationally. They have decided to call it quits..uncontested, basically the long distance relationship wasn't working out. How would they go about filing a quick and easy divorce??

Please advise....Thanks alot!!
    Hi there,
    Pay a small fee and consult an experienced Family Law attorney here in the US. Make sure there are no immigration consequences to the divorce, etc. I know that in California, a divorce can proceed by default, and there are offices in or around courthouses in the state to help people file these papers at no cost (except court filing fees). Best consult with a licensed attorney in wife's state first though, just to be sure.:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Is there any property division issues, are there any children ?

Do both parties agree to the divorce ?

The issue here as you did bring up is who has jurisdiction over the marriage, state law in the US varies, as to length of time living together in the US ( if they ever did)

Where they got married, does that nation reconsie divorce from another nation.

This is one where a good , perhaps even an international attorney may be needed to get the best advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if a person decides to contest an uncontested divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-wife left the state days after being served divorce papers. She had made plans to move to New Jersey with her online boyfriend. Although she signed all the papers she had none of them witnessed or notorized and the divorce went as a default. Now a month or two after she is back here in...

International divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was married in Manila, my spouse is still there and I am in the States. What do I do/ what is the process for getting an international divorce? Thanks:(

International divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is an American citizen; we now have a 4 months old son. He used to live in Haiti and there was married and had a son from that marriage. His son is now8 years old. He got divorced 5 years ago in Haiti as well. His ex-wife is now living in the US and is demanding financial support. The...

International divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a few questions involving a divorce between an Australian - me - and my American wife. Background: I was living in the USA from '98 until March of this year when I left because my wife and I separated. We were married in April of 2002 and resided in New York until March of...

View more questions Search