Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    comox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 02:31 PM
    pouring concrete over and existing slab for cars. How thick does it have to be?
    I would like to pour a new 2" slab of concrete over an existing 1 year old 5" reinforced slab. The end use will have passenger weight vehicles on it.
    Is 2" feasible?
    If so what bonding proceedures do I need to take.
    Thank you in advance for your valued advise.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2010, 02:46 PM

First please tell us why you want 2" on top of an overly thick slab? What is the issue with the original slab?
    comox Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2010, 03:03 PM
    No issue with the origonal slab. I want to anchore some frame pulling rails to the existing floor and want to add the additional 2" more for cosmetic appeal as well as to minimise these rails as a trip hazard.
    See www.wedgeclamp.com for an over few of the product.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2010, 07:34 PM

2" would be the bare minimum and I still think it will fail in fairly short order. Etch the old floor and use a bonding agent in the new mix. tell the contrete supplier what you are doing and they will "tune-up" their mix with more solids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring concrete slab over existing one [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to remodel my bathroom which is very small. The biggest problem I have is the concrete slab is not level and because of this over the years we have had several tolets broken. The only way to level it is to basically raise the toilet a few inches so we can have a level place for the tolit...

Pouring concrete over existing slab [ 1 Answers ]

I need to pour 4 inches of concrete onto a 6 inch re-inforced slab. I don't think I need to add reo to the additional 4" but I'd like some assurance please.

Pouring concrete over an exsisting slab [ 16 Answers ]

I am planning on building a game room onto my house, I have a 24' x 18' x 4" thick patio slab now (the outer end is a 12foot radius I plan to sqaure up) and plan on expanding it to 24' x 27', I plan to raise the level to be even with my house approx. 4" and pour 18 inch footings around the...

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

View more questions Search