Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Netty678406 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Exposure to Methane Gas
    Hi everyone

Im 24 and have recently been told I have been exposed to methane gas for around 3 months... now over the past month or so I have felt sick (but that has eased) and suffering with headaches. The other day I started with severe neck ache only on my left side and now to add to it it feels as though my mouth is numb and I can't explain the feeling and taste I'm getting... its weird!

I have put it down to a general bug going around at the moment but I just thought id ask you guys to see if anyone can help or advise me on symptoms and what to do.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Or know of someone who works with gases to know what symptoms you get and what harm it is doing?

See you all soon

Kindest Regards

Netty
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
    This should help. http://www.vngas.com/pdf/g56.pdf

Search for "MSDS Methane"

Each manufacurer has slightly different sheets.

You should have been provided one or know where one is from you "Chemical Hygene Plan" and training. All MSDS's should be available to you as well as a workplace chemical list. The workplace chemical list is used for high quantities of a substance.
    veronica37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Netty,
    My family had a slow Natural Gas leak in our home for 3.5 years! Your exposure was considerably shorter.
    We suffered many affects from this. Headaches, nausea, digestive problems. I think the Mercaptan (eggy- smell) can cause damage as well as the methane. Mercaptan is listed as a toxin in Material Safety Data Sheets.

Our story is here: gas-leak.org . There are good links to my research there.
    We have many digestive issues, and find that enzymes help. Our food allergies increased 3-fold and chemical sensitivities too. The headaches are still a problem for two of my children. One of kids is doing well - she is the athlete. I think her constant work-outs helped her detox faster.

I don't know how the Gas companies can say this product is "Safe". The material safety data sheets admit that there has never been any long term exposure studies done. How can it be safe if they never test it? When I talk to a doctor from outside of the USA, he knew that Natural Gas could lead to nausea and more. I haven't found an American doctor yet that knew this. (we've been to 15.)

I wish you well. Get fresh air. Work-out till you sweat. Use digestive enzymes if you need them. Eat healthy so you can heal.
    stefanielaw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
    This is so frustrating!! I just discovered that my daughter and I lived with a gas leak for almost 4 years. It has been almost 2 years now and my symptoms at times are worse. I had a SPECT brain scan that shows moderate to severe damage to most of my brain (we are waiting on my daughters results). I recommend the SPECT scan to any MRI/CAT scan. The SPEct scan shows blood and oxygen flow and the others do not. I have way too many symptoms and problems to list. I have just filed a workers comp claim and have been told that my case will be denyed and will end up ikn court. Doctors and attorneys have all told me how hard this will be to fight with such little research done on these types of cases. I'm heading to a brain injury rehab hospital for testing and out patient rehab next week. I am also seeing a nutricianist and chiropractor (soft touch) both have helped a lot with symptoms but not all of them. I attended my fist brain injury support group meeting last month. I was so scared to walk in and thought my injury is nothing like a person who has a typical TBI. I am so glad that I walk through the doors and stayed till the end. I discovered that no matter how your injury accord the symptoms are similar. The symptoms come with the different parts of the brain effected by the injury not the type of injury. Now I am working on getting into the best possible shape and willing to try anything that might help the suffering and gives my knowledge!
    Good luck to all out there that are suffering through this as well!!
    I will post info that I find through my research along the way to my recovery.
    loimmarmar Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2010, 06:25 AM
    Hello Everyone,
    I am so happy and yet so sad to find you all. I too had a leak, (well 8 of them), from 1996-2000. I will not type much right now, but I will provide my website address. There you will find my story along with other helpful insights as to symptoms that linger. I am still looking and researching this situation. Any information is greatly appreciated. My phone number is listed on my site, sometimes it is easier to talk than to type. God Bless!
    Help4you.iwarp.com
    loimmarmar
    magicjay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 10:35 PM
    I too have suffer with my wife for about 3 years with a slow leak of natural gas. My symptoms was mainly breathlessness nausea and headaches my wife symptoms was fatigue and head aches. And I only took a week to get back to normal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indecent exposure [ 6 Answers ]

What kind of punishment do you get for exposing your bum in public? In quebec canada, and over 18 years old.

Meds and sun exposure [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking toprol and sertraline... I am getting hives after lying in the sun for a short while. Is the hives because of the sun exposure

Passive exposure to crack cocaine [ 2 Answers ]

A family member is suing for custody of his children because their mother is a crack cocaine user. He is sure that she has smoked with the youngest child in her presence and in their house when he is away at work. He willingly took a drug test when the court ordered her to take one (Both hair and...

Subtle Toxic Exposure? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All: I am writing to ask about the safety of long-term exposure to things that we pay little attention to. I was wondering about --city tap water-- and the exposure of chlorine over time. Is this a possible cancer cause to felines? Would bottled water be a better diet? I realize rural area...

Hepititus exposure [ 7 Answers ]

My partner has hepititus C,can I be exposed to this virius, if so what can I do to prevent this? Many thanks Carol

View more questions Search