Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fteng12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2010, 12:10 PM
    No power to lights, but outlets work
    The lights in one section of my house will flicker sometimes and then go out. They will stay off for several hours and then the power will come back again. It is only the lights, as the power outlets in all of the affected rooms still work fine (night light in the bathroom is still on, the laundry machine still works, etc.). I checked the circuit breaker and none of them were tripped. I tried resetting them, but that didn't work. In the past, the lights would go off for several hours and then turn on by itself, with no action on my part. This time, the lights have been off for 2 days and have not come back on. Any ideas on what's going on?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 02:03 PM
    You have a loose connection. This could be in the form of a broken wire, or a loose wire nut somewhere or perhaps a loose connection at the circuit breaker. If you know which breaker powers up this circuit, then you can start there trouble shooting. If you do not have the experience or knowledge to work in a breaker panel, find someone who does. At any rate, that would be the place to start.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2010, 06:04 AM

I agree with MS. U have a loose wire.this is a dangerous condition and should be taken care of. Spark could cause fire.

After checking breaker, remove light and check all wires in box. Be sure breaker is off when working on lights.

Get back to us and let us know how u made out.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've changed the breaker and still no power to lights or outlets [ 3 Answers ]

Today the lights in my sons room & all outlets stopped working, including the light & half the outlets in my room & the hallway. We have only 1 GFI plug & its in my bathroom which is working fine. We replaced a breaker in the box which says (lights & plugs) and still nothing. We've flipped all the...

Outlets work lights don't [ 2 Answers ]

The lights in one quadrant of the house (front porch, entryway, half of basement directly beneath entryway, hall closet next to garage, and half of garage closest to the entryway) do not work. The outlets in these spaces do work. None of the breakers were tripped upon opening the circuit breaker...

My lights won't work and a power outlet is out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hanging light in the living room that 2 different switches control. I also have an outside light that one of the switches controls as well. Neither light works, and I also have a power outlet that won't work, but one on another wall that does work. I have checked all the breakers and...

Outlets have power, lights work, won't run tools [ 8 Answers ]

Hello all this is my first time here. My problem is in my detached garage that has its own elec service separate from the house (I get 2 bills). 100 amp service in the garage and 200 amp in the house. I tried to install a garage door opener and the outlets in my garage won't run it, the...

No power to outlets and lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have been replacing outlets for looks and just did the bathroom. I changed GFI there to and had no power to any on that breaker, I changed the breaker and still no power. I tested power coming from breakers and have 120 v. Please someone help?

View more questions Search