Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WyomingWinds3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 02:49 PM
    Which material type for rain gutters is recommended, aluminum vs. steel?
    I live in a cold climate with snow in the winter and wind of course, it is Wyoming. The wind on average can be 20 mph during winter / spring and can gust up to 35mph with a severe storm. I have spoken with a contractor that handles steel and another contractor that handles aluminum gutters. The contractor that handles steel gutters costs considerably more that the aluminum contractor. I am willing to go with the aluminum gutters If they can stand most snow, ice and wind that I am going to encounter. Plus I am not excited about having my gutters begin to rust in five years. Any recommendation.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 3, 2010, 03:02 PM

Wind should not even be an issue with aluminum gutters. It's really going to depend on how often it's supported. The hangers are hidden anyway.

Aluminum can be done in ONE PIECE which is a definite advantage.

There are two downspout sizes. The larger is better for leaves and large volumes of water.

Drip edges and ice and water shield is the best protection for snow. The method in which the first course of shingles are put down helps wind issues.

Three methods are used:
    1. double layer - not recommended for wind
    2. Starter strip - Basically a 12" or so wide roll of continuous shingle (Probably the best method)
    3. Turning shingles 180 deg and cutting them.

2&3 allow the adhesive to work on the edges.

Ice and water shield is used within x" of the inside wall. I think it's about 30". It's very thick adhesive backed rubber.

For severe instances of ice, electric ice melting systems can be employed. If the house is designed right, they should not be needed. Low sloped roofs won't allow the snow to fall off.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 3, 2010, 05:34 PM

What are your neighbors using?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 02:42 AM
    I installed Alcoa aluminum gutters fr more than 20 years,in all those years I had 1, one, have a problem, I didn't strap the leading edge to the wind and it curled the gutter.That I fixed in a short order.

Gutters can come on all kinds of thicknesses,coatings,accessories,etc.

I started with Alcoa,and still use it when called for.

As far as thickness,it is an .032 gutter, compared to an .019 coil-stock or rolled 'continuous' gutter(although some reputable gutter companies will now install .032)It has a finish that is guaranteed to last the life of the gutter,even transferable to the new owner if the house is sold.The hangers come in many varieties,from simple strap hangers to hidden 'snug-fit' and many in-between.They also have a lip in the back of their gutters which not only allows for more strength (IE:ice build-up),but it allows the back of the gutter to be attached to a continuous hanging strip(installed before the roofing is installed(or can be done on existing,just more labor intensive),this roof edge hanger replaces the drip-edge normally used for roofs,and doesn't allow water from getting behind the gutter.The hangers are then installed per Mfgr. Suggestion(normally every 3'), this has NEVER failed,in all my years installing.

Steel gutters can be adequate for a short term fix,or maybe for rental property where you don't want to spend the extra money, but for my own home,I only used Alcoa brand gutters.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 06:46 PM

I personally like copper gutters. Every expensive. Had them on old house 35 years. Don't know many gutter men that still install copper.

Chuck
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    I personally like copper gutters. Every expensive. Had them on old house 35 years. Don't know many gutter men that still install copper.

Chuck
    I have installed them,but the cost,, wow,now that is an expensive way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of fitting is recommended for gas. Flare or compression? [ 12 Answers ]

What type of fitting is recommended for gas. Flare or compression? Is this specified in any building codes?

Stainless steel sink damping material smell [ 0 Answers ]

The damping material on my newly installed sink is offing a strong chemical smell. It is a white spray on material and I have left the cabinate doors open but still have to open the kitchen windows because the smell is so strong. It has been a week. What is the spray on material and how can I...

Vinyl vs. Aluminum gutters [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace an old wooden gutter. Are aluminum or vinyl gutters better? Thanks!

Extruded aluminum material hardness by numeric value [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between a 7075 T73511 extruded aluminum alloy shape and the same shape in a 7075-T6511?

Joining rain gutters [ 2 Answers ]

I took down my old rain gutters and purchased new ones 10' each. How do I join the gutters together to make a 24' long section?

View more questions Search