Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teachmanasd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Gurgle in pipe and toilent tank fills with water
    Okay, so here is the deal. We have two separate full bathrooms on different lines. The master bath has a full shower, toilet and sink. Lately we have noticed that our tank in the toilet will randomly fill with water for 1-2 seconds and bubbles come up from the bottom of the tank inlet tube. There seems to be no pattern on when this happens; after flushing, time intervals or so forth. However, we have noticed that if we turn the sink or shower in that bathroom on the same action happens when they are turned off. I also can hear a gurgle (not plural) in the wall pipe downstairs below the bathroom. Again, seems random.

Also, when the sink or bathtub is turned off and it doesn't perform this action, the ball float vibrates, sometimes enough to let water out of the tank.

Finally, we have a home built in 2003 with no fancy piping under the sink and such.

Thanks for the help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2010, 04:14 PM

I have a little test for you. Open the tank lid. Have someone watch the float when you turn the cold water off and on a few times at the lavatory, Did the float bounce up and down when you did this? Let me know. Tom

Apr 28, 2010, 04:15 PM

Yes it does. Small bounces sometimes that just cause ripples in the water. Other times it is enough to drain some water out.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2010, 04:24 PM

You have several things to look after.
    The tank adjustments first. Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavy edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the ballcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube.
    The reason you see the float bounce and kick off the ballcock is because your air chambers have filled up with condensate and need to be recharged.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put air chambers on all bath lavatories and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will began to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out and thank you for rating my reply. TOM

Apr 28, 2010, 04:44 PM

Water level is low. I will recharche the chambers, but what do I do with the water level? Also there is no tube going to the overflow tube. Hmmmmm.

Hate to post again, but there is no tube from the ballcock to the overflow tube on any of our three toilets. All water level is below the amount you described.

Small tube to overflow tube has been installed. Also, I put in a new flapper and this seems to have solved the intermittent running of the toilet. However, I did the food coloring test and there is still a small leak from the tank into the bowl Could this possibly be the seat of the flapper?
    Eternal Plumber

May 1, 2010, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    I did the food coloring test and there is still a small leak from the tank into the bowl Could this possibly be the seat of the flapper?
    When you installed them flapper did you cut the ring out before connecting the hooks?> (see image). Is 56the tank level about a 1/2 inch below the white overflow tube? Let me know, Tom
    Attached Images

May 2, 2010, 01:56 PM

It did not come with the ring in the picture, so yes it is cut out. The level is around 1/2 below give or take a 1/4 inch
    Eternal Plumber

May 3, 2010, 07:47 AM

I did the food coloring test and there is still a small leak from the tank into the bowl Could this possibly be the seat of the flapper?
    Yes it could! Run your fingernail around the flapper seat. Don you feel any rough edges or nicks? Let me know, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tank fills up, does not flush out [ 1 Answers ]

System is 1 year old, tank fills up and runs out under the toilet, small bump to tank and the system turns on and removes the waste. Is something stuck or is it broke?

Hot water tank gurgle [ 5 Answers ]

When the tank fills it always gurgles. What can be done to fix this?

Toilet tank fills when water valve is off [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet tank fills (not immediately after fludhing, but within an hour) even though the water valve is turned off. What could the issue be and can I easily fix this myself?

Size black pipe for the hot water tank and furnace [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know what is the correct size black pipe is used for the furnace and hot water tank 1/2" and 3/4" Thank you

Leaking overflow pipe in water tank [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop my overflow pipe in the cold water tank from leakin?

View more questions Search