Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dixon2045 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 02:53 PM
    How do I lure a cat out from under my house?
    My cat wanted out very badly so I let her out yesterday. Now that I started internet research I realize she is in her first "season". She has hidden under my home. There is not enough room to go under and retrieve her. What can I do to get her out? And how do I catch her once she is out?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 07:39 PM

We used to lure our cats out from under our trailer with canned food and treats. They knew the noise and would com when called after they knew that we were giving them food. Try placing a dish of food near an entrance for a couple of days in a row... then when you do it on the third or fourth day, wait for it to come eat it and grab it.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 24, 2010, 07:50 PM

If you don't think she'll let you grab her, then you can try a live trap used to catch feral cats. Just put some canned food in the back and wait for her to enter it. If you have a lot of cats in your neighborhood, I would suggest waiting nearby with a squirt gun or spray bottle to keep from accidentally trapping a different cat.

Also, if she is in heat, it's very likely that she's pregnant, or will be by the time you catch her. If you don't want kittens, then you can get her spayed during the early part of the pregnancy. You can make an appointment for her, if that's the case. Otherwise, you're going to end up with fuzzy, mewing, tiny babies overrunning your house in a few months.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 08:23 PM

Many vets and animal shelters will lend out or rent to you a special kind of small animal trap, and will show you how it works. The trap is rectangular and made of a wire grid with a trip panel that will close the door once a cat (or other animal) has walked across the panel. (Havahart® Live Animal Traps, The Trusted Animal Trap Brand For Over 60 Years | Havahart® | Page 1) Bait it with a bit of "smelly" food such as a fishy cat food.

Good luck catching your cat!
    Dixon2045 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks everyone... I put out some dry cat food and waited 20 minutes and she came to the opening and I grabbed her. She clawed me some,but no blood drawn... guess we'll see if we are having kittens... then get her spayed asap.Again Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixon2045 View Post
    thanks everyone... I put out some dry cat food and waited 20 mins and she came to the opening and I grabbed her. She clawed me some,but no blood drawn...guess we'll see if we are having kittens...then get her spayed asap.Again Thanks!!
    Yyyyyyaaaaaayyyyy!!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 24, 2010, 08:45 PM

I'm glad you caught her. It's never a good idea to let an unfixed animal outside on their own. If you want her to be able to go outside, then you should think about harness training her.

They make harnesses for cats, but a small dog harness works just as well. Teach her to wear the harness and you can take her outside while making sure that she's safe. Just realize, you don't cats on walks, they go where they want and you follow them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

How do you introduce an old she cat into a house with a younger tom cat [ 2 Answers ]

My female cat is 15 years old and I need to introduce her into my sisters house who has a neutred Tom cat about half her age.My cat is very inactive having arthritis in her hind quarters and is a very loving docile creature - my sisters cat is very fit and healthy and again has a nice nature but...

Bringing a stray cat into a house with another cat? [ 22 Answers ]

Okay, I have a male cat, who is about 14 years old, and he is still very active. Recently we've been having a stray cat who looks to be at most a year and a half old come around our house. It is a girl, and she hangs around our house all day. It is a gorgeous cat, and we've been considering...

How to Bulid a Lure Course for Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

I just saw a lure course for dogs in action at our annual Pets in the Park and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen! The dogs were frothing at the mouth to get to the "prey" that was actually a plastic grocery store bag on a continuous cable system powered by a battery. Anyone know how to build...

View more questions Search