Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EliaNG Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 08:20 AM
    Wood chips after stump grinding - what to do?
    Folks,

Last fall we had a bunch of weed trees and old shrubs removed from our property. We also had the stumps ground. The earth areas around the stumps are now mixed with lots of root chips. I want to renovate those areas: grade them, till them, and replant with grass seed. What should I do with the stump chips? They really seem mixed in with the soil. Do I have to remove them? Would it be possible to grow a successful grass lawn over them without removing them?

Wondering?

Thanks in advance,

Elia
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2010, 08:52 AM

Why not remove the chips from where they are, and make a compost pile with them? Or use them for landscaping other areas, like around trees, or flower beds?

Depending on what type of tree the chips came from, they MAY hinder the growth of grass.

You can bag and remove them from your property altogether if you wish.

Personally, I would compost them, and make new, nutrient rich soil.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Hi, EliaNG!

Yes, since they're already mixed in with other things, composting would seem to be the best way to go, or you could dig them into the soil. As far as them hindering in some way further growth of other things - after this length of time, anything in them that might have been harmful shouldn't be a problem because there has been enough time for any harmful things to break down and disappear, especially since the chips have been in the open air and subject to the elements.

Thanks!
    EliaNG Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 06:00 PM
    jmjoseph, Clough,

Thank you for the speedy replies. In the past I have used other stumped ground root chips as a base/compost around trees, and those have worked fairly well. In all of the stumps ground last fall there was only one large tree. All the others were smaller diameter trunks (6-8 inch diameters). Only the large stump area has a clear pile of root chips. The smaller stump chips are mixed in fairly consistently with the ground. Maybe I'll only try to gather that single big tree's stump chips and just tidy up the other areas. After I grade the area I plan on adding good topsoil (like mushroom soil - here in southeastern PA), and compacting it, before seeding.

Regarding composting - I have three composting areas in my yard (a reasonably large yard). I try to only put shredded leaves in the piles, but have put unshredded leaves, and small tigs and branches, in at times.

Thanks,

Elia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have a lawsuit, I found a 3 inch piece of sharp wood in my chips [ 3 Answers ]

Found a 3-4 inch piece of sharp wood in my bag of muchies, I didn't get hurt though.

Stump Grinder [ 3 Answers ]

I've been very frustrated lately. Last fall I had a very large silver maple cut down in my front yard. I couldn't afford to have the stump ground at the time, but I have the money now. I've called 6 companies, including the guy who cut down the tree, and I am having such a hard time getting...

Will cutting down a tree & grinding stump stop root growth ? [ 2 Answers ]

Will cutting down tree & grinding stump stop root growth ?

Post Stump [ 4 Answers ]

I placed 4x4 post in the floor of my barn for the purpose of crosstying horses in the gromming stall. After tying the second horse, she freeked out and broke one of the posts. It broke even with the concrete floor and now I need to remove it. I have tried screwing in a 10" lag bolt and using a...

Puppy eats wood chips [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 11 week old Golden Retriever. I have a good size backyard. Unfortunately have a large tree that's coming down soon due to disease and dead branches, but the large area around it was a mud pit for a few years. So I put in many bags of pine bark I think it was, and now my puppy likes to...

View more questions Search